Pc Dying

Heat issue my arse, it's running at 32'C or so.

Memtest was never fully completed but came up negative for problems.

That really does leave the HD (since motherboard is somewhat rarer, and flaky PSUs are something I'm not considering, due to how new the PC is)

Tom confirmed my suspicions as he was playing DoD and it crashed with a model not found error - a model that had previously always been there.

Heat issue my arse, it's running at 32'C or so.

Memtest was never fully completed but came up negative for problems.

That really does leave the HD (since motherboard is somewhat rarer, and flaky PSUs are something I'm not considering, due to how new the PC is)

Tom confirmed my suspicions as he was playing DoD and it crashed with a model not found error - a model that had previously always been there.

Well all of you must know much more than me about this, I'm only the senior PC tech at our Uni and been so for 19 years. Ho Hum.

I still think it is heat related, one of the main things that point to this is the fact the fault doesn't appear for ages, then when it crashes, it then crashes again soon after a reboot. Heat is one of the biggest causes of IC failures in the industry. Heat can effect much more than just the CPU and RAM. It can effect the PSU, maybe the PSU is on the way out and heat is causing a dry joint or some other fault that is causing power dips or bad DC etc. Heat could also effect the North and south bridge chip sets, or any other part of the board really.

Oh and by the way, forget what the motherboard diags programs tell you about running temperatures of CPU and MB, they are not accurate and ONLY there as a guideline to what the real temp is. You cannot rely 100% on these tools.

If this was my PC, the two things I would in order would be to swap the PSU for something meatier to see if it keeps it stable. If not, then I would add a fan or two as this never does any harm.

Don't forget, we all have our opinions in this, and some have more experience than others. Considering we don't have the PC in front of us, none of us will really be able to do a full diagnostic. So stop trying to be a know all and just give the guy a hand :p .

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a tower, just pull one of the sides off and run it. See if there is a difference. I have to agree with "warmfluffy." I think it is heat related. <_<

I had a similar problem, it turned out it was the Ram, I tryed several memory test programs none could find a fault. In the end I decided to build a whole new PC as some of my components were outdated. I found out the ram was faulty when I took it to Computer Exchange to sell it.

Just to be sure I put the Ram in my new PC and it started doing all the weird shit like comming up with Corrupt files when copying files and random blue screens. Swapped the Ram back and it was fine.

Good Luck.

Steve.

Back