PC Gaming. What kind of games?

Stellanatus

Most of the time people think of games like skyrim or star citizen but I am talking about the more sandbox/simulator games that have appeared lately like minecraft or space engineers.

I don't know what kind of games the hardware or software can run only that 2 gigs of ram actually meets the min requirements of some games I play. Games that I play would be such as; Battlefield play4free, 7 Days to Die, Europa Universalis 4, A few other paradox games, and some browser games.

My 7 year old Asus gaming laptop died a few days back and I been watching the development of the Pyra for atleast the past couple months. I've started to wonder if I should save up for a $800 gaming pc or get the pyra first and pc a few months later or even no PC at all; However if I buy the PC first I would get the pyra likely by summer.

So I have a big choice to make soon. Can the pyra play steam linux and/or games such as those few I mentioned (exmple; Battlefield needs just 500mb & europa needs 2gigs ram)?

PS: I hope a model with 3-4 ram comes out!

PPS: I hope if the above happens that my Pyra wont catch on fire!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
May i remind you that PC games need a PC processor? The Pyra has an ARM processor.

Unless its a free game/browser game/android game it wont work (yet).

At least not anytime near launch.

BTW noone cares about ram, due to swap its facto infinitive anyway.

May i remind you that PC games need a PC processor? The Pyra has an ARM processor.Unless its a free game/browser game/android game it wont work (yet).At least not anytime near launch.BTW noone cares about ram, due to swap its facto infinitive anyway.
So its a Linux OS that is also an andriod OS using ARM? Linux can run games off of steam and run games it shouldn't be able to play through Wine. Heck I've seen Minecraft played on an Open Pandora. What am I missing? Shouldn't you be able to install a software or OS that onto the device that can let you play PC games? I may not be very techy but if theres a will theres a hack right? =P

The difference is the architecture of the processor.  The Pandora and Pyra use ARM processors, "PCs" use x86.

The difference is the architecture of the processor. The Pandora and Pyra use ARM processors, "PCs" use x86.
So does that mean it is literally impossible to play a PC Linux game on an ARM Linux no matter the OS installed, emulation, or 3rd party software hack?

Yes. Its basically like trying to stuff an nintendo cardridge into a playstation.

Emulation and such could work, however there is a lot of overhead going that route, so you will need a significantly more powerful system.

It IS however possible to emulate PC arch but that of course throws away lots of cpu power.

There are some new software solutions like exa gear for almost full emulation speed, or the bit magic used for starcraft but dont expect it to turn the pyra into a normal gaming PC.

Ok. So does it use the Google Play appstore for its desktop apps? Can its browser play games like Evony or Runescape? What makes it different than an andriod besides the look in otherwords? Are there Linux programs such as Copy Cloud Storage that can run on it (not the andriod Google Play version)?

Sorry for the crash course questions

First of NONE of us intends to use android on there.

But sure it should fully support any android stuff that exist.

If you switch the OS to androiot of course, but that is pretty easy.

There are some new software solutions like exa gear for almost full emulation speed
I think exagear will only help with Linux games, not Windows ones, and I thought that it was useless if wine worked.

I think exagear will only help with Linux games, not Windows ones, and I thought that it was useless if wine worked.
It emulates the architecture, in theory you could run stuff like PC virtual box to even boot windows.It is simple pretty new and not all dots have been connected but it will probably come sooner or later.

There are some new software solutions like exa gear for almost full emulation speed
Wine works.. but expect speeds in the windows 95 ish era. The Pyra will be a bit Better.

What makes it different than an andriod besides the look in otherwords?
Android is a Linux-based OS.  I think you are a bit confused about the difference between hardware and software related concerns.  If a game requires a specific OS that is tied to a particular processor architecture you have more than one thing you have to consider.  Linux (and many other OSs) will work on a variety of processors, or processors that are not x86 based.  If you have a game and it works on one OS on one processor it does not mean it will work on a similar OS with a different processor. 

Does Wine work? I thought Wine just lets Linux run Microsoft stuff. It emulates the OS or the processor?
WineIs

No

Emulator

Its a compatible layer helping windows programs finding the hardware, for example turning /dev/sda1 into C:.

Just to add.. Wine only works when paired with an x86 emulation layer.. There are a few out there one is the opensource Qemu and the commercial solution such as Exagear Desktop.

Exagear Desktop essentially run s the x86 version of Ubuntu on top of the regular OS, which allows you to install wine. Qemu + wine is fairly unique to the Pandora community as Lunixboch put it together himself along with his glshim for opengl. However the guys behind Qemu have an obsession with precession over performance, so it's kind of slow compared to Exagear's solution.

We have many native ports of games that used to be exclusive to windows or DOS which run pretty fast.

Also there is DOSBOX for dos things..

What makes it different than an andriod besides the look in otherwords?
Android is a Linux-based OS.  I think you are a bit confused about the difference between hardware and software related concerns.  If a game requires a specific OS that is tied to a particular processor architecture you have more than one thing you have to consider.  Linux (and many other OSs) will work on a variety of processors, or processors that are not x86 based.  If you have a game and it works on one OS on one processor it does not mean it will work on a similar OS with a different processor.
Ok thanks. That helps a little

Does Wine work? I thought Wine just lets Linux run Microsoft stuff. It emulates the OS or the processor?
WineIsNoEmulatorIts a compatible layer helping windows programs finding the hardware, for example turning /dev/sda1 into C:.
I have used Wine before to play IMVU on a Ubuntu. I know it is not an emulator. I consider it as an imitation tool. Sorry

Ok. ARM processor runs on Linux. I know steam games that run on Linux. Are they using ARM or a Linux x86? I don't need Wine if games are already ported over. Goes back to the first post where I asked if games could run on this device like typical Linux bought from Best Buy if using ARM.

Back