Pcsx Rearmed R14

thedarkenedpoet

Still Fresh
Hi, I recently bought my Caanoo, so far I have been having very few problems with it apart from a few game roms that don't seem to like caanoo emulation.

But basically for some reason whenever I am using pcsx r14, usually with 3d modelled games after about 15 - 30 minutes of gameplay the emulator crashes which causes my screen to mess up and I have to reboot my caanoo to get any use out of it again. I wanted to know is this normal, i'm hoping its not.

Also is there any specific config you guys would recommend for this emulator. I am listing the changes I have made to the default settings, so if its not there then I haven't changed it.

CPU Clock - 750

gpuPCSX4ALL - Disable lighting - ON

Disable CD Audio - ON

PSX CPU Clock % - 45

Assume GTE regs uneeded - ON

Any help would be awesome, one last things I know it is a massive long shot but if anyone has managed to get medabots rpg to work on gpsp if you could let me know how that would be awesome, been wanting to re-play that game for many years now haha.

Thanks.

Sorry to double post but I wanted to add some more on and also to bump the thread a little.

As I forgot to mention it before, my caanoo cam with firmware 1.6.1 preloaded but I downgraded to 1.0.6 and I wondered if this problem could be firmware related.

Also to elaborate on the problem and explain more, basically I left my caanoo running pcsx on the menu screen of crash bandicoot, I didn't touch the system at all and as per usual after about 30 minutes it crashed.

The weird thing is that the screen goes weird, the scalling and v-sync goes off and it appears that it is showing triple of the on screen image that was being displayed when it crashed, the image of this is below

IMG_20120702_141232.jpg

At first I thought it was the device overheating and locking up as it has happened on other games an emulators, but not so commonly. However I am pretty sure it isn't because when the emulator has crashed, the screen will stay like the above but if I move the stick around I can hear the noise of the menu selection screen, so I am guessing the emulator is crashing back to menu but the screen is getting stuck for some reason. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be awesome, thanks.

My guesses: The caanoo gets too hot over time. Try 730 oder 700 mhz instead.

Or the Caanoo downgrade (why would you do this?) are the reason for the crash.

Well I will try down clocking it but as I said before I doubt it is a overheating issue otherwise the system would lock up completely without exiting back to the menu. Also I decided to downgrade after reading a few threads and sources that show the 1.0.6 firmware runs considerably faster than th
e 1.6.1 version.

There are some benchmarks, where the 1.0.6 firmware shows the best results. I'm not convinced that emulators run slower with the latest firmware. Benchmarks don't necessarily reflect real application performance (in this case emulators). I'm on 1.6.1 since it supports ad-hoc wifi and I did not recognize a loss of performance.

Regarding your settings. Try to use the original BIOS instead of HLE.

Right in that case I shall upgrade to 1.6.1 again and see how that goes. I did try the original BIOS instead however for some reason when loading certain games the console makes a loud buzz after I have selected a CD image and it takes a lot longer to load games. Is there a specific BIOS file you can recommend as I know there are different versions available.

Well after the upgrade and playing around for a while its hard to tell if it has made much of an improvement, PCSX seems to be crashing less however since the update gpfce crashes randomly and exits to the menu.

Maybe you use a buggy sd card. This can be repaired most times. Do a check (and repair) on the file system of the sd (chkdsk [Windows]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK or fsck [Linux / Mac] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck).

Back