Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Great Emulator, been messing with it tonight (r4).

Tested a couple of games... all PAL (50Hz), freshly ripped from my own black cds to bin/toc using AcetoneISO. Running emulator at 700MHz, using EU Playstation bios.

Blast Radius – Runs lovely at 50 FPS!
Colony Wars: Vengence – sound and speech stutters, sluggish at 20-30 FPS.
Devil Dice – Hangs at 'Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Presents' Screen :-(.
OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee – Runs perfect (and looks fantastic!) at 50 FPS!
R-Type Delta – Runs slow, about 30 FPS.
Rollcage II – Runs, but slow; struggles at 15-30 FPS.
Soul Reaver (Legacy of Kain) – Slow again, stutters at 20-35 FPS.
Wipe3out - Hangs when crossing the start line (at least in Porta Kora and Mega Mall)

A few things, perhaps me being stupid.

Can you emulate the ps1 controllers analogue mode so I can try out these nubs in anger?
I keep needing to rebind 'O' and 'P' to L2 and R2, am I doing something wrong?
Nice to have .toc compatibility as well – converters to .cue don't seem to work... (aaaargh! Static!)

sabregolly said:
A few things, perhaps me being stupid.

Can you emulate the ps1 controllers analogue mode so I can try out these nubs in anger?
I keep needing to rebind 'O' and 'P' to L2 and R2, am I doing something wrong?
Nice to have .toc compatibility as well – converters to .cue don't seem to work... (aaaargh! Static!)
No the emu doesn't support per game button configs and it doesn't save your settings either. You need to re-do it when you load the emu. This sparked the whole "DaveC whines too much" debate here as I suggested saving these settings per game (optimum shoulder settings vary per game). Notaz said he will add the capability eventually so that is fine. I agree that speed and compatibility are more important I just thought the control setting thing would be a quick easy fix that Notaz could do in his sleep that is why I mentioned it. You aren't doing anything wrong.

BTW has anyone got Einhander to work? Maybe I have a bad dump, did anyone else test it? I was told it didn't work due to BIOS need but now that the emu supports BIOS it still locks up for me. I try to run at 600 MHz with BIOS on. It does work with PSX4Pandora so I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
No the emu doesn't support per game button configs and it doesn't save your settings either. You need to re-do it when you load the emu. This sparked the whole "DaveC whines too much" debate here as I suggested saving these settings per game (optimum shoulder settings vary per game). Notaz said he will add the capability eventually so that is fine. I agree that speed and compatibility are more important I just thought the control setting thing would be a quick easy fix that Notaz could do in his sleep that is why I mentioned it. You aren't doing anything wrong.

Ah... saw the 'discussion' about that! Been here a while, even though I don't post often, so am aware of many of the personalities. Always found your comments very constructive. But to be honest, this thread was already 21 pages long by the time I got to it, so only skimmed and must've missed the details!

Ari64 said:
The downside of recompiling these is that if it happens frequently, you'll end up filling the dynarec cache with a mess of overlapping blocks. It's probably better to call the interpreter for cases like this, as long your interpreter is set up to execute one instruction and then return to the recompiled code.
Yeah I've went for the interpreter (compile first branch as call to interpreter). I'll deal with load delays the same way, since it's such rare cases.

sabregolly said:
Yes but it still needs to be implemented.

DaveC said:
BTW has anyone got Einhander to work? Maybe I have a bad dump, did anyone else test it? I was told it didn't work due to BIOS need but now that the emu supports BIOS it still locks up for me. I try to run at 600 MHz with BIOS on. It does work with PSX4Pandora so I don't know.
It's a recompiler issue, wait for next release. The game runs slow though when passes the load screen though.

johnnysnet said:
Hi all,

have heard about the new emulator just now. It's a fantastic improvement and I really appreciate notaz's work!

Chaser said:
Music 2000 (E) (SLES 02224) – (R4) NOW WORKS.
I would love to use this on my Pandora so I've tested it too. So far it works, yes. But unfortunately it's still unusable because there's no proper playback of the samples. When playing it back in the sample palette all is fine but by playing as notes in the riff editor or in the song ends up in crackling, with a few exceptions though. Because of that I want to ask if you got the same result? Otherwise it would be nice to tell me your settings.

However, I think this could work fine in the future with ease. I'll donate then for sure!

Welcome jonnysnet, my fault there as your right I'm afraid. I had merely tested a few sample sounds and layed a few down on some tracks and hit start to play them back. By fluke I'd chosen working ones, as many are just crackles. Sorry about that. I'm sure it will be fixable though.

HackModford said:
More people need to contribute to the compatibility chart!
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArSWWAWRjErldHZVZlFxY0tBVnRRNXM5U3ZqWFNuN0E&hl=en

+1. Thanks to meandu229 for this :)

Not sure if its any use but I have gathered ALL the comments from the past 20+ pages and will post in 'the most up to date available' entries later today. If anyones gonna add any more new ones, do so but I've got the previous ones covered to save others time, if its not stepping on anyones fun?

sabregolly said:
Great Emulator, been messing with it tonight (r4).

Tested a couple of games... all PAL (50Hz), freshly ripped from my own black cds to bin/toc using AcetoneISO. Running emulator at 700MHz, using EU Playstation bios.

Blast Radius – Runs lovely at 50 FPS!
Colony Wars: Vengence – sound and speech stutters, sluggish at 20-30 FPS.
Devil Dice – Hangs at 'Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Presents' Screen :-(.
OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee – Runs perfect (and looks fantastic!) at 50 FPS!
R-Type Delta – Runs slow, about 30 FPS.
Rollcage II – Runs, but slow; struggles at 15-30 FPS.
Soul Reaver (Legacy of Kain) – Slow again, stutters at 20-35 FPS.
Wipe3out - Hangs when crossing the start line (at least in Porta Kora and Mega Mall)

Devil Dice PAL works perfectly if you rip an .img format instead. Try CloneCD trial. Great game. Intelligent Qube the prequel also runs (in my case an .iso).
Rollcage 2 NTSC has marginally better speed but still no music in races, whereas Rollcage 1 NTSC (bin) (I haven't tried my PAL copy) is good for that.
Wipe3out- doesnt hang in NTSC.

HackModford said:
More people need to contribute to the compatibility chart!
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArSWWAWRjErldHZVZlFxY0tBVnRRNXM5U3ZqWFNuN0E&hl=en

+1. Thanks to meandu229 for this :)

Not sure if its any use but I have gathered ALL the comments from the past 20+ pages and will post in 'the most up to date available' entries later today. If anyones gonna add any more new ones, do so but I've got the previous ones covered to save others time, if its not stepping on anyones fun?
That would be brilliant, after its got a some decent content in it I may protect it to be by invite only for editing.

Chaser said:
You might want to drop my comments out, as the problems mentioned in some of them were due to overclocking my Pandora too high for this emulator. (I'll write them up properly when I have a free moment, now that that's been figured out. :p)

I'll be getting on with it now and sure thing Prometheus, though your history bit about Tron Bonne was interesting and we'll have to see if notaz can work some magic :)

For the metal gear fans, it might be worth using beta4 of Psx4Pandora, as that doesnt have the halting CD spinning issue. The cutscene pre-menu is pretty slow but the ingame ones whilst slow and with a reverberating audio are the best it gets at present if your not wishing to skip the story. In game play is pretty good.

Also anyone with a bin/cue or bin/toc copy of MoH Underground having any issue with r4? My mdf copy is like a slide show with HLE and has horrible gfx issues and missing textures with bios. Time to dig the disc out the attic and re-rip it methinks, or just stick to r3 for that one.

The bit about The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is *probably* still accurate, that much I will say, but I do want to double-check it again. That game is an evil pain-in-the-ass to run on any emulator. :p If notaz were to get that working, to my knowledge he'd be the first.

(Whilst it is possible to run it under ePSXe with extensive tweaking of the sound options, I can honestly say that I've never managed it. To my knowledge, the game's issues with emulators relate in some way to its unbelievably perfect lip-syncing.)

Prometheus said:
Chaser said:
You might want to drop my comments out, as the problems mentioned in some of them were due to overclocking my Pandora too high for this emulator. (I'll write them up properly when I have a free moment, now that that's been figured out. :p )

woohoo just been playing parappa the rappa!

Made me laugh that the flower ordered a salad! Cannibal!

Graphics etc all spot on have to get up to 800Mhz to get sound ok though

Chop punch kick! Come on now you gotta do better!

vandal Hearts 2 works good with standard settings at 800MHZ again that is to get the sound right, it's no good at 750Mhz.

It has to be said that this emulator is pretty amazing already.

Chaser said:
Devil Dice PAL works perfectly if you rip an .img format instead. Try CloneCD trial. Great game. Intelligent Qube the prequel also runs (in my case an .iso).
Rollcage 2 NTSC has marginally better speed but still no music in races, whereas Rollcage 1 NTSC (bin) (I haven't tried my PAL copy) is good for that.
Wipe3out- doesnt hang in NTSC.

Bugger... tried everything to get an .img or .iso file from my Devil Dice disc - not happening for me. Can't use CloneCD as I don't have windows, and I can't get it working under Wine (can't see the driver).

Creating an .iso from a psx disc using dd (linux disc dump) appears to be a well known problem, and using AcetoneISO to convert my .bin file results in a 'unsupported/invalid CD image'. Never mind... I'll keep trying as notaz releases new versions!

On an unrelated point - I seem to have very quiet sound on mine, but I remember my PS1 wasn't particularly loud either. If I'm not being cheeky, I'd love to see a sound 'booster' in later releases, along with .toc support... God, I feel like a Oliver Twist ><.

^ Just a thought, but does it work if you rip it as bin/cue using cdrdao?

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile [insert desired filename].bin --device ATAPI:0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw [same name].cue
(Note that if it doesn't work with /dev/cdrom, try --device ATAPI:0,0,0 or --device ATAPI:1,2,0 instead.)

Prometheus said:
^ Just a thought, but does it work if you rip it as bin/cue using cdrdao?

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile [insert desired filename].bin --device ATAPI:0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw [same name].cue
(Note that if it doesn't work with /dev/cdrom, try --device ATAPI:0,0,0 or --device ATAPI:1,2,0 instead.)

Tried this, but having CLI issues (can't setup device)! Don't think it'll help tbh, as cdrdao is what AcetoneISO uses to do its thing. I'd imagine the resulting .bin would be the same. Be nice to get the .toc in .cue format though. Thanks anyway!

There is a toc-to-cue convertor, but don't bother with it - it's very preliminary, and the resulting cue files will just cause static to be played instead of audio (the documentation itself warns of this).

I look at the compatibility chart today and was like "WOAH"

I changed a couple entries so that they would work with the statistics

i.e. r1-r4 won't work you have to leave it as r4 or just r1

and if you have R4 instead of r1 than the statistics don't work.

But I changed them and took a peek at the beautiful statistics B)

Yeah sorry man, I noticed I was busting things as I went along and modified some of what I was doing. I hadnt gone back for a few stray r1 to R4 etc. Been helluva busy today as had a new baby girl last week so I'm typing with a cradled baby an such lol.

I can confirm that both PAL Medal of honors (1 and 2) work pretty good for me using bin/cue. Using 800 OC and other settings at default with bios.

Also Akuji the Heartless works too.

Chaser said:
Been helluva busy today as had a new baby girl last week so I'm typing with a cradled baby an such lol.
Congratulations! :)

Chaser said:
Not sure if its any use but I have gathered ALL the comments from the past 20+ pages and will post in 'the most up to date available' entries later today.
It's indeed useful, thanks!

mvickers03 said:
meandu229 said:
Is it worth making a spreadsheetto hold all these tests in with various settings,,
Also thanks for your work,, been playing through MGS love it

I tried this last night, have you managed to get the videos and voices working nicely? It stutters badly for me. Not too bad in game.
hey mvickers got voices working perfect
use built in spu
set interpolation to simple and set the wait for cpu to on (think its just those two)

Back