Release Pcsx-Rearmed

johnnysnet said:
Ok, I've made the video for a comparison of the sound messed up with the P.E.Op.S. SPU plugin and how it should sound when everything is fine (second part in video). It's the same demo song that was played back but the different results are remarkable! You can notice that there're still some sound samples which aren't corrupted but I'm not able to spot what this is dependent on. Hope this helps to find the bug!
Thanks, I see it works in latest PCSX-Reloaded, so can be fixed here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are things going with RC6 Notaz?

Did you get my donation this time?? ;)

jonlad1 said:

Well, I guess that will take a while... he was talking about optimizing instead of increasing compatibility, and optimizing isn't a fast process.

Last edited:
From what I see in the git changelog he seems to be busy supporting Maemo at the moment.
A bit more patience will be required.

You did. You answered a question that a) wasn't solicited b ) directed at you

If you're unsure as to what I was inquiring about, please seek further clarification.

In the words of Willy Wonka - "GOOD DAY SIR!"

Coldbird said:
From what I see in the git changelog he seems to be busy supporting Maemo at the moment.
Bummer. It would have been nice to have a bug fixed one even with no new features as the current version has that dark graphics glitch, frameskip issue, and broke some stuff.

DaveC said:
Coldbird said:
Bummer.
That's not a bummer : he is getting more users. Which mean more bug will get repported, which also mean more bugs ironed...

EvilDragon said:
jonlad1 said:
Well, I guess that will take a while... he was talking about optimizing instead of increasing compatibility, and optimizing isn't a fast process.

He did say that. But later he said this (on page 36):
notaz said:
r6 will probably be another bugfix release because it looks like I fooked up some things, for example frameskip of builtin gpu broke in r4 and xa became noisy in r5.

notaz said:
johnnysnet said:
Ok, I've made the video for a comparison of the sound messed up with the P.E.Op.S. SPU plugin and how it should sound when everything is fine (second part in video). It's the same demo song that was played back but the different results are remarkable! You can notice that there're still some sound samples which aren't corrupted but I'm not able to spot what this is dependent on. Hope this helps to find the bug!
Thanks, I see it works in latest PCSX-Reloaded, so can be fixed here too.
Fixed that one, took a couple of hours to find the right fix from PCSX-Reloaded, and it's single line of code (align a pointer):
Code:
-       s_chan[ch].pStart=spuMemC+((unsigned long) val<<3);
+       s_chan[ch].pStart=spuMemC+(unsigned long)((val<<3)&~0xf);
It may seem like taking exact fixes like this is a waste of time (could just copy all their code instead), but that's not a good idea because some of their changes are devastating (or bad at least) for performance. PCSX and most plugins were originally written around year 2000 when PCs weren't so overwhelmingly fast for this (PSX emulation) job, so they had to put at least some thought about performance. Today they don't have to think about that, which is bad for me as a ARM fork maintainer.

jonlad1 said:

Did you get my donation this time?? ;)
Fine, just need to fix a couple more things and yes, got it.

DaveC said:
Coldbird said:
Bummer. It would have been nice to have a bug fixed one even with no new features as the current version has that dark graphics glitch, frameskip issue, and broke some stuff.
Those maemo changes took a hour at most, compared to fixing certain bugs it's a joke. r6 will have key config saving for you, which took way longer as I had to rewrite some things.

Larry Hastings said:
EvilDragon said:
jonlad1 said:

He did say that. But later he said this (on page 36):
notaz said:
r6 will probably be another bugfix release because it looks like I fooked up some things, for example frameskip of builtin gpu broke in r4 and xa became noisy in r5.
Yeah r6 will be feature/bugfix release, no speed improvements yet.

notaz said:
Fixed that one, took a couple of hours to find the right fix from PCSX-Reloaded, and it's single line of code (align a pointer):
Code:
-       s_chan[ch].pStart=spuMemC+((unsigned long) val<<3);
+       s_chan[ch].pStart=spuMemC+(unsigned long)((val<<3)&~0xf);
It may seem like taking exact fixes like this is a waste of time (could just copy all their code instead), but that's not a good idea because some of their changes are devastating (or bad at least) for performance. PCSX and most plugins were originally written around year 2000 when PCs weren't so overwhelmingly fast for this (PSX emulation) job, so they had to put at least some thought about performance. Today they don't have to think about that, which is bad for me as a ARM fork maintainer.
That's amazing! Once you told about PCSX-Reloaded I tested it there and got the same annoying result but... anyways. I am looking forward to r6 then and if I can confirm the issue is solved (clear playback) then a donation is for sure! Have many thanks so far.

With all these great releases coming up, I should really think about setting up a paypal account. You do an amazing job, notaz! Thanks.
We really need to develope a day having 48h with all those games the pandora has.

Just got it to work the way I like, so here is r6 release:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r6.pnd

Like mentioned, this is another feature-compatibility release and has no performance improvements. But it has lots of new stuff:

analog support using nubs (disabled by default - enable in control config), config saving, ingame savestate save/load, support for CD swapping and probably some brand new bugs.

It also has some PCSX-Reloaded fixes including FMV improvements (ff8 intro runs perfect for me with enough overclock)

Here is complete changelog:
  • added analog controller support using nubs (disabled by default)
  • added control config saving
  • added support for ingame actions (eg. savestate load)
  • added 'auto' region option and made it default
  • added cd swap functionality
  • added maemo frontend from Bonapart
    (with some tuning, source code only)
  • reworked key configuration to be less confusing
  • fixed 'SPU IRQ wait' option sometimes causing noise
    and turned it on by default
  • fixed mono xa masking (was causing noise)
  • fixed word access macros in dfxvideo (darkness problem)
  • changed GPU DMA timing back to 1.92 levels
  • backported more fixes from PCSX-Reloaded project
    (mostly shalma's work, see GIT)
  • fixed a few more recompiler issues
  • fixed frameskip in builtin plugin

Wow. I am astonished at how quickly this emulator is coming along. It's damn near perfect

i have said this before and say it again, This is truely amazeing.

all games that i have tried so far (which is around 20-30 games) runs perfect. :)

I Could only find one game that didnt work which is Vib Ribbon, well it allmost works perfect execpt from playing any music from the cd in the game.

notaz, you get all my respect for what you've done! I confirm that Music 2000 is now working as it's supposed to be. Just by modifying a single line of code, that's awesome. Also the overall revision of the menu is very good with the improved controller configuration. That's some brilliant emulator! Donation is accomplised.

Keep in mind, cats and kittens, that it only supports the original Dual Analog Controller (SCPH-1150) right now. So most games that want an analog controller--Ape Escape for example--still aren't playable. Happily my beloved Spyro games recognize the controller fine :)

Back