Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Phawx said:
jonjandran said:
OK I know I'm being a tard here, but how do you get the nubs to work as joystick on this emu?

Mine don't seem to do anything even when I set up the controller as the Analog in the controller settings.

Are you using the test build in post #574? Or R6?

R6 and that was the problem. Sheesh :)

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
DaveC said:
I still couldn't get Einhander to work, it just dumped me to minimenu. I used BIOS. Maybe something is set wrong as I remember you said you had it working.
Works for me on default config, tested it yesterday. What's your region, dump format?
I am using a rip that I did of an original Jpn disk in Cue/Iso format. It can't be a bad rip as it works in PSX4all. I tried both HLE and BIOS both wit the same result, gets to the WAIT... then dumps out.

I am still on HF4 if that matters.

This is a very good piece of software, and very promising!

I've tried FF7, which is certainly one of the good old PSX titles I'd like to play again. With the R6 release, I still get some slowdowns during battles and in-between game phases. The music is slowing down on a regular basis, even when I overclock to 750Mhz. I was wondering if it was "normal" behaviour, given the current performance of this emulator, or if someone had found a setting that removes those audio glitches. Thanks!

Bryce Leo said:
Larry Hastings said:
Sir! I'll have you know that Ape Escape is unplayable with the original digital controller. It was Sony's showpiece for the Dualshock controller, and it makes heavy use of both analog joysticks.

I don't know how to reset/recalibrate the nubs, but I rebooted and now it had problems moving in different directions. So it's not the emulator's fault.

K figured I'd check. I'll have to try out Ape Escape I've never played it before.

Ape Escape is a brilliant game, but I imagine it would need some very creative remapping of controls, since it uses almost everything on a Dual Shock except the ordinary D-pad and facebuttons (much). It uses R1, R2, L1, L2. Also, it uses R3 and L3 (pressing down on the analog sticks). Left analog to move, right analog to use current tool, switch tools with face buttons, move camera with D-pad.

I don't quite remember what all the shoulder button functions were (one was jumping, one was target lock-on/first person view), but I seem to remember that sometimes you really were using all the fingers of both hands :) or so it felt.

Also: Damn, Notaz, this moves like lightning! I seem to remember something like this when you had some real spurt of work with Picodrive for the GP2x. All like "Ok, now this is the latest release, try it out" and then half a day later "Well, I just happened to add CD support, so here is a new one" and so on...Everyone already said it, but still - You're one great guy :D

Michoko said:
This is a very good piece of software, and very promising!

I've tried FF7, which is certainly one of the good old PSX titles I'd like to play again. With the R6 release, I still get some slowdowns during battles and in-between game phases. The music is slowing down on a regular basis, even when I overclock to 750Mhz. I was wondering if it was "normal" behaviour, given the current performance of this emulator, or if someone had found a setting that removes those audio glitches. Thanks!

I'm getting something similar in Road Rash - the game slows down when riding uphill (!), characterised by the music slowing down - very noticeable. Disable the music though, and the game runs at full speed with no slowdowns :)

D.

^ Are you using frameskip? I'm finding that, with R6, games that previously slowed themselves and their music down like that don't do that anymore if I activate that. (Well, Klonoa - Door To Phantomile does, rarely, but that's the lone exception I've got in my collection.)

Well yes, I used Frameskip, and used also various GPU plugins. I suppose this is why optimizations from Notaz will be useful for a perfect experience :)

Currently without my Pandora, so a small request if anyone would be so obliging...

Can someone try Final Fantasy 9 PAL UK and see if it works now? It used to not run at all(r3), and then it ran but crashed whenever you went into a battle(r4), and then stopped running at all(r5).

OilySalmon said:
notaz said:
Ok beat that boss, it exploded, battle ended and story continued. Maybe check your dump against http://redump.org/disc/70/ (you can run 'md5sum' directly in terminal of pandora), step overclocking down a bit, I don't know.
Hm... My md5 matches that. Clocked it down to 700, then 600MHz, toggled a few settings... same result each time. Is there a debug log or something I could send you? Maybe it's something that nothing can be done for? I think I've exhausted all my options. I've even tried using a PAL bin/cue image to try to get past this. Exact same result.
DaveC said:
notaz said:
Works for me on default config, tested it yesterday. What's your region, dump format?
I am using a rip that I did of an original Jpn disk in Cue/Iso format. It can't be a bad rip as it works in PSX4all. I tried both HLE and BIOS both wit the same result, gets to the WAIT... then dumps out.
I suggest you both make sure you are really running r6 (see credits screen), then rename appdata/pcsx_rearmed to something else so it starts clean (in OilySalmon's case copy needed savestate and nothing else). Maybe it's caused by bad config, bad memcard or something like that.

Prometheus said:
The only real issue it has is some errors with displaying the names assigned to character text-boxes (this can easily be observed at the end of the second level, Gunston Mine, and in the story scene once you've beaten its boss, Rongo Lango. Sometimes it will show "???" at the start of the second line of one person's text (where there should be no "???" at all, as this is used to denote a newcomer to the conversation), or for a moment in place of a character's name, when that name is disappearing (the best example is Grandpa at the very end of the aforementioned story scene, just before it fades out).
You can try disabling dynarec and see if that helps (advanced options), if it does, give me a savestate for debug, if not, you can give me the savestate anyway, maybe I'll look at this someday.

Michoko said:
This is caused by Ari64's dynarec recompiling stuff (there is lots of invalidation going on), game is reloading some code modules between fights, I'm not sure if I can fix that. The problem should be less apparent after first few fights though.

Lobo said:
Can someone try Final Fantasy 9 PAL UK and see if it works now? It used to not run at all(r3), and then it ran but crashed whenever you went into a battle(r4), and then stopped running at all(r5).
According to http://redump.org/disc/2371/ the game is LibCrypt protected, meaning you need subchannel data (.sub file) for it to work. Maybe you had that file but deleted it later.

notaz said:
Michoko said:
This is caused by Ari64's dynarec recompiling stuff (there is lots of invalidation going on), game is reloading some code modules between fights, I'm not sure if I can fix that. The problem should be less apparent after first few fights though.
The dynarec was designed to handle this. If the old code module is still in the cache, it will recognize this and not recompile it. Can you profile this and see where the time is being spent?

Still no luck with Final Fantasy VIII. That really sucks. Other people are fine playing through this game, especially at the point where my copy of reARMed crashes?

I tried playing the game with HLE, but of course the game froze when I entered a battle. I expected that. I... suppose I could replay the game with my PAL copies, but... I'd really hate to play the game all over again and have it crash at the exact same point. I really have no idea what to do at this point, but I'd love to replay this game.

notaz said:
Michoko said:

I was wondering about that, specifically that there is a quite noticeable slowdown at the first few fights each session that then gets a lot better. So there is a logical explanation for this too :)

notaz said:
Lobo said:
According to http://redump.org/disc/2371/ the game is LibCrypt protected, meaning you need subchannel data (.sub file) for it to work. Maybe you had that file but deleted it later.
Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have indicated that I was using a patched version(that removes the protection).
However, I will definitely try a newly ripped un-patched version with subchannel data to see how that goes (when I get my Pandora back).

OilySalmon said:
Still no luck with Final Fantasy VIII. That really sucks.
Well as I have nothing else to suggest, take this savestate just after fight: http://notaz.gp2x.de/tmp/SLUS00908-SLUS00908.004
Most of the party is wiped out by the boss though :)

Thinking about this, it could be hotfix related as I'm always running the latest kernel, although you said you tried HF5 beta, hmh..

Notaz, this emulator is really good now. I've just donated again and will most likely donate later, once you've optimized this already awesome bit of coding!

Lobo said:
Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have indicated that I was using a patched version(that removes the protection).
FYI a patch by HOOLiGANS group does some invalid draw operations that trigger bugs in this emulator, causing memory corruption.

notaz said:
OilySalmon said:
Still no luck with Final Fantasy VIII. That really sucks.
Well as I have nothing else to suggest, take this savestate just after fight: http://notaz.gp2x.de/tmp/SLUS00908-SLUS00908.004
Most of the party is wiped out by the boss though :)

Thinking about this, it could be hotfix related as I'm always running the latest kernel, although you said you tried HF5 beta, hmh..

Thanks a lot! You're the best!

You have the latest kernel? From a git repository or something? I'd like to replicate your software setup to confirm if this is the problem or not.

notaz said:
Lobo said:
FYI a patch by HOOLiGANS group does some invalid draw operations that trigger bugs in this emulator, causing memory corruption.

OK, yes it's the hooligans one I'm using(couldn't find any others at the time but it was handy that it had trainers included). Bit of a bummer because now I can't cheat :(

...any chance of action replay support? ;)

Back