Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Ok thx, that option was there in some other Emus but never working. I think in Ginge.. but not sure :)

I am almost through Castlevania Symphony of the Night :)

Playing all night, even though my LCD cable is broken and I have to find an angle where I can see something :)

I've found the same problem with 2 different games now, maybe it's something basic I'm missing. On both Soul Reaver and Worms World Party, the game refuses to start, it hangs looking for a memory card. Do I nees to set these up somewhere on my memory card, and if so how?

You might have a corrupted save on the mem card: that happened to me with Everybodies golf and in the end I had to delete the whole memory card file and start from a new one or it would hang on the loading save screen. Funny thing is that game does that on the real hardware too sometimes.

For what its worth, Soul Reaver PAL does definitely work (after about 5 mins of cutscene!).

Lobo said:
You might have a corrupted save on the mem card: that happened to me with Everybodies golf and in the end I had to delete the whole memory card file and start from a new one or it would hang on the loading save screen. Funny thing is that game does that on the real hardware too sometimes.

For what its worth, Soul Reaver PAL does definitely work (after about 5 mins of cutscene!).

I've already tried removing the memory card files from that directory, ran a different game(Micro Machines v3) which also required memory card access to start. That played fine, when I checked afterwards, new memory card files had been created in the appropriate directory. Still no joy with Soul Reaver or Worms though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work notaz, I was incredibly impressed. Little Big Adventure is so close to working on it (jams after the first intro text + movie after you've entered your name) and I've seen numerous improvements with other games. Incredible work!! :D

Do you need more games tested Notaz? I think you have quite a few non-working ones to debug but if you really want me to find a few more let me know ;)

Seriously, as soon as I get my xmas savings (or lack of) sorted out a donation will be winging its way to you and Ari. Fantastic work on this!

P.s.
It was mentioned before, but the source for the wiz emu has been released and it wouldnt hurt to see how they got Syphon Filter series working (for example).

Tried the Pal versions of Soul Reaver and Worms Workd Party, still no joy with that memory card issue. Revolt hangs on initial loading screen as well

Time for r3 release.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r3.pnd

No compatibility fixes since r2, it will be exactly the same. However there are 2 new major features:

Pickle ported OpenGL ES plugin from psx4m project. It looks nicer and is sometimes faster, but has some major glitches. What's worse is that it likes to crash SGX driver with the whole system, making it extremely difficult to debug. I'll leave it like this for now, if somebody knows how to fix it please go ahead.

I've ported GPU code from PCSX4ALL, which is a good deal faster than the default P.E.Op.S. one, but has some minor glitches. Select it in Options/Plugins menu.

Many thanks to Pickle, psx4m and PCSX4ALL teams for all this code!

Complete changelog:
  • added Pickle's port of gpu-gles from psx4m project
  • added PCSX4ALL gpu as a plugin
  • improved gpu plugin support
  • added savestate preview
  • various frontend fixes

Just to check, but you are using the latest version, right? i know, I know, its a silly question but I work giving tech support and Ive learned the hard way to cover all the bases :)

I will try Soul Reaver again just in case.

notaz said:
Pickle ported OpenGL ES plugin from psx4m project. It looks nicer and is sometimes faster, but has some major glitches. What's worse is that it likes to crash SGX driver with the whole system, making it extremely difficult to debug. I'll leave it like this for now, if somebody knows how to fix it please go ahead.

Might be the SGX driver too. For example quake used to work with older drivers and this latest one is became unstable.

Lobo said:
Do you need more games tested Notaz? I think you have quite a few non-working ones to debug but if you really want me to find a few more let me know ;)
Yeah there are plenty of things to fix, I'll let everyone know if I run out of them but I'm quite sure it won't be soon.

Lobo said:
It was mentioned before, but the source for the wiz emu has been released and it wouldnt hurt to see how they got Syphon Filter series working (for example).
I don't think I want to switch to their core, I'll better fix the one used here. Still plan to take their SPU and perhaps GTE though.

Stouffa said:
Tried the Pal versions of Soul Reaver and Worms Workd Party, still no joy with that memory card issue. Revolt hangs on initial loading screen as well
This should get sorted when I add real BIOS support, don't worry.

Lobo said:
Just to check, but you are using the latest version, right?
Version and build date is printed in credits screen, so it's easy to check.

I retested Soul Reaver and got the exact same problem reported here! I was sure that this game had been working so I deleted the memory card files, copied over an almost empty one from zottds emu, renamed as appropriate and then it worked.
So it is some kind of weird save game/memory card corruption, but Im not sure how/when it occurs, and why generating a new one (by simple deleting the old files) doesnt work (the new one appears to be corrupt too).

Anyway just came on to report my findings and BAM! New version: yeehaaa!

/me downloads...

Thanks again to Notaz, and also Pickle for this release. I wonder if Tinnus is working on anything, I remember him saying he was waiting until he saw how the PSX emu scene on Pandora was panning out. Very excited for this.

Wow another version already!

Been having lots of fun with the first 2 notaz, so many thanks :)

I get the same Soul Reaver issue and with V Rally 2 aswell.

I got 2 Vagrant Story versions working finally but have found that FFIX infact doesnt work for me beyond the start of the first fight. Found an NTSC bin cue version which works in Psx4 though, so that will do for now.

However lots of games work really well and so some really nice titles are available with this great front end.

Bugs (?) : I have found that r2 version doesnt seem to remember last rom path after exit (defaults to /media), wont set framskip and carries its OC setting over to the OS when you exit. Is anyone else finding the first and latter issue aswell?

Anyway heres my Revised tests (mostly the same titles with the versions added, tried under both revisions):

3Xtreme (U) (SCUS 94231) – (r1) Good speed but sound is out (r2) Runs very fast at 50-60fps but some sound effects seem out of synch. Doesnt like the memory card being selected from the menu and freezes.

40 Winks (U) (SLUS 00874) – (r1) Crashes to desktop. (r2) Black screens.

Abes Exxodus (PAL SLES 01480) - (r1) (r2) Perfect. You can go as low as 350mhz for 50fps.

Abes Oddysee (PAL SLES 00684) - (r1) (r2) Perfect. You can go as low as 300 mhz for 50fps.

Alien Resurrection [SLUS-00633]- (r1) Crashes to desktop. Key binding will make this playable though :) (r2) Same.
Alien Resurrection (PAL SLES 02913) (r1) (r2) Same for both.
Alien Resurrection (NTSC U) - (r1) (r2) Same for both.

Alone in the Dark Jack is Back (PAL SLES 00037) – (r1) CTD (r2) CTD

Ape Escape (SCUS 94423) – (r1) 'Dual Shock' required (r2) Same.

Apocalypse (U) (SLUS 00373) – (r1) Crashes to desktop (r2) Flawless 50-60fps at 1ghz. 30-45fps at 800mhz.YippeKaYay!

Arcade greatest Hits – The Atari Collection 2 (PAL SLES 00712) – (r1) Playable but under speed with sound stutter in Paperboy, which needs 1ghz to reach 40+fps, Marble Madness displays no player sprite, whilst Gauntlet, Millipede, Roadblasters and Crystal Castles seem fine (r2) Same.

Auto Destruct (U) (SLUS 00522) - (r1) Good intros and menus. Poorer sound and speech than Psx4 when in game (r2) A very playable 35-45fps in game (50-60 @ 1ghz). Speech stutter and occasional audio slowdown is the only minor issue.

Batman Forever - The Arcade Game [SLUS-00387] (r1) Plays very well. Doesnt quit after some damage is taken like Psx4. Seemed to choose 2 players by default though. (r2) Crashes to desktop after character select, unless you make a memcard save from the options first. Perfect thereafter 60fps.

Bishi Bashi Special (PAL SLES 02537) (r1) Crash to desktop or hangs on Now loading after select game type. (r2) Same. Works in psx4.

Bob the Builder - Can We Fix It [SLUS-01407] – (r1) & (r2) Purrfect.

Brian Lara Cricket (PAL SLES OO759) - (r1) Good intros, menus suffer 2 clicks on d pad & forces select of 2 players at once, hangs loading matches. (r2) D pad 2 click bug is fixed. Still hangs on loading a match though.

Bugs Bunny Lost in Time (PAL SLES 01726) – (r1) Crashes to desktop after menu `loading´. Made it to loading demo level on psx4. (r2) Crashes to desktop after logo screen.

Bushido Blade (PAL SCES OO899) – (r1) Good intros, demo fight lacks sound, menus okay, good speed but in fight has only one sword sound once or twice at random during a bout. (r2) Same.

Bushido Blade 2 [NTSC-U] – (r1) Perfect intros. Runs at better speed than Psx4 but has overlayed rendering issues in game. (r2) Very good speed upto 60fps in game with good sound but enters some weird gfx dimensions reminiscent of Tron and can and does randomly crash.

Carmageddon (E) (SLES 01960) (r1) & (r2) Hard Crashes locking on startup showing splash screen. Works but fairly slowly on psx4.

Destruction Derby [SCUS-94302] – (r1) (r2) Black Screen.

Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back [NTSC-U] [SCUS-94154] – (r1) Crashes to desktop as cortex crashes to ground in intro. (r2) Same.
Crash 2 (PAL SCES OO967) – (r1) & (r2) Same for both.

Crash Bandicoot 3 - Warped [NTSC-U] [SCUS-94244] – (r1) & (r2) Works well.

Crash 3 (PAL SCES O1420) - (r1) & (r2) Works well. 45-50fps @1ghz.

Dancing Stage Euromix (PAL 02941) – (r1) Intros/menus all fine. Crashes when loading chosen game mode.(r2) Same

Dancing Stage Party Edition (PAL SLES 03882) – (r1) Plays well (r2) Same.

Darius Gaiden (NTSC J) - (r1) & (r2) Perfect. Upto 60fps at 800mhz.

Darkstone - Evil Reigns [SLUS-01182] – (r1) Crashed to desktop after 'press X to start' (r2) Fixed. Runs 50-60fps in game. Needs a mem card save creating from the menu after a character is created and a second try, to get it to run. Thereafter it loads and runs fine.

Devil Dice (PAL SCES 01312) - (r1) Black screen. (r2) Same

Duke Nukem - Time to Kill [SLUS-00583] – (r1) Works perfectly. (r2) Same 50+fps @ 800mhz but has some issues with memory cards. Claims they are full or fails to load from them and freezes.

Evil Dead Hail to the King (PAL SLES 03428) - (r1) Now plays all intros, lacks menu screen text, plays level 1 intro then quits to desktop. (r2) “Lets go carve ourselves a witch!” Perfect. Steady 50fps at 800mhz with no issues.

Exhumed (PAL) – (r1) Perfect. (r2) Same.

Fear Effect Disc 1 of 4 [SLUS-00920] – (r1) Almost perfect. Slight audio warble of narators voice but no crackleand fully lip synched audio. Use r1 for this game (r2) Audio static over intro narrator plus slight lip synch issues (audio behind the gfx) otherwise works well.

Fear Effect 2 (PAL SLES 03386) – (r1) (r2) Perfect. No lip synch issues that were shown in Psx4.

Fighting Force (PAL (alc 120% .img) (r1) Crashed prior to gameplay (r2) – Black screens with music still running.

Final Doom [SLUS-00331] – (r1) & (r2) Hard crash after williams logo still.

Final Fantasy VI (PAL SCES 03828) – (r1) Perfect (r2) Same.

Final Fantasy VII (PAL SCES 00867) – (r1) Works well. Some slow down (r2) Same

Final Fantasy VIII (E) (Disc 1) [SLES-02080] – (Alc120) (r1) & (r2) Black screens.
(CloneCD) (PAL SLES 02080) – (r1) (r2) – Runs well. Probably has same issues further on already under investigation. This copy didnt work with psx4.

Final Fantasy IX [NTSC-U SLUS-01251] – (.bin/.cue) (r1) & (r2) Black screens.
Final Fantasy IX [PAL SLES 02965] – (CloneCD .img) (r1) & (r2) Crashes to desktop on first battle. Neither version ran at all under psx4.

Galerians (PAL SLES 02328) – (r1) Works Well 50fps. (r2) Same

G-Darius [SLUS-00690] – (r1) Plays well. Some sound stutter (r2) Works well. Sound issues less apparent.

G-Police [SLUS-00544]- As version below.
G Police Weapons of Justice (PAL SCES 01625) – (r2) Intros very good, crashes prior to level start. This title did work on psx4 but was fast handling.

G-Police 2 - Weapons of Justice [SLUS-00798] – Same as .mdf version below.
G – Police 2 (PAL .mdf) - (r1) Crashes after displaying first G Police Logo (r2) Flawless until the game is about to start, then hard crashes on a black screen.

Gran Turismo – (r1) Crashed (r2) Fix works very well. Upto 40fps at 800mhz.

GTA 1 (PAL SLES 00032) - (r1) Works well but in car radios mess up and become distorted white noise. (r2) same

GTA London (PAL SLES 01714) – (r1) & (r2) Wants disc swap to GTA 1.

Koudelka (PAL SLES 02897) – (r1) Works well. Full speed. (r2) Same

Little Ralph (SLPS-01853) – (r1) & (r2) Perfect.

Mary Kings Riding Star (PAL SLES 02379) – (r1) & (r2) Crashes to desktop choosing level. Good.

Metal Gear Solid [SLUS-00594] – (r1) & (r2) Black screens.
Metal Gear Solid (PAL SLES 01370) Disc 1 – (r1) (r2) Same.
Psx4 did run this in a prior beta. Now it pauses every few seconds to load with a spinning disc top right.

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (PAL SLES 02136) – (r1) & (r2) Requests MGS Disc 1 swap.

Music 2000 (E) (SLES 02224) – (r1) Hangs (r2) Hangs on logo screens

Omega Boost [NTSC] [SCUS-94449] – (r1) (r2) Static bursts during intro scenes. Eventually gets stuck in a loop in the intro. The same occurred with psx4 or just black screens depending on version. Though some people found this playable on psx4.

One Piece Mansion (PAL SLES 03723) – (r1) Perfect. (r2) Perfect.

Parasite Eve II (PAL SLES 02558) - (r1) Hangs on squaresoft logo (r2) same.

Point Blank [NTSC-U] [SLUS-00481] – (bin/cue) - (r1) & (r2) Crashes to desktop.

Point Blank (PAL SCES 00886) – (r1) CTD (r2) Same

Point Blank 2 (PAL SCES 02180) - (r1) Perfect (r2) Perfect

Point Blank 3 [NTSC-U] [SLUS-01354] – (r1) & (r2) Hard crashes after pressing start.

Point Blank 3 (PAL SCES 03383) – (r1) & (r2) `Did´ Work well but can randomly crash. Now CTD on pressing start.

Rage Racer [SLUS-00403] – (r1) Faster and no gfx glitches compared to psx4. (r2) 40fps at 800mhz with music and no gfx glitches.
Rage Racer (PAL SCES 00650) – (r2) Same. Slightly faster overall upto 50fps at same OC setting.

RC Stunt Copter PAL (SLES 01459) – (r2) Playable. Stuttering sound and 25fps at 800mhz (30+ @1ghz).
RC Stunt Copter [SLUS-00954] - (r1) Crashes before game start. (r2) Works very well. 35 - 40fps at 800mhz (50+ at 1ghz) The sound is smoothed out at higher OC and the game is spot on.

Resident Evil Directors Cut (U) (SLUS 01003) – (r1) (r2) Same black screen
Resident Evil Directors Cut (PAL SLES 00969) – (r1) (r2) Same

Resident Evil 3 - Nemesis [SLUS-00923] (r1) & (r2) Perfect in both.

Resident Evil Survivor [SLUS-01087] (.mdf) – (r1) & (r2) Works well. Some sound absent in intro cutscenes.
Resident Evil Survivor (PAL SLES 02732) (r1) & (r2) Perect in both.

Ridge Racer [SCUS-94300] - (r1) & (r2) Works well at upto 50+fps at 800mhz with music EXCEPT, sound is crazy if first demo is allowed to run, or once the first race is completed and a demo begins, with a constant static and hi pitched whir over everything. Therefore only the first race is playable. Psx4 runs this slowly with no music in comparison.

Ridge Racer Revolution [SLUS-00214] - (r1) & (r2) Cant accelerate but all intros and demos full speed with music. Psx4 = No music and <25fps.

Riven - The Sequel to Myst (E) [SLES-00963]- (r1) & (r2) Perfect in both.

Rollcage [SLUS-00800] – (r1) Crashes on loading menus (r2) Playable speed with music. OC to 800+ and its pretty darn good.

Rollcage - Stage II [SLUS-00867] - (r1) Crashes as race is chosen (r2) Fixed. Works very well. 35fps at 800mhz 45fps + above. No CD music in races though.

R-Type Delta [SLUS-00877] (r1) (r2) Spins on 'Now Loading'

Shadow Master (NTSC SLUS 00545) (r1) Plays all intros menus fine. In game is smooth at 50fps at 800mhz but Quickly crashes out preventing progress. (r2) Same.

Silent Bomber [NTSC-U] [SLUS-00902] (r1) Not playable. Loops drop in on level 1. (r2) Playable. Lots of audio slowdown but works 30-50fps.
Silent Bomber (PAL SLES 02792) (r1) Extreme audio chop and Chipmunk voices in intros, ingame has playable speed. (r2) Same but clearer voice over.

Silent Hill (NTSC SLUS 00707) - (r1) Perfect intros but crashes to desktop when loading game start. (r2) Works well.. 45Fps at 800mhz slows during some cutscenes (<60fps at 1ghz).

Soul of the Samurai [NTSC-U] [SLUS-00822] – (r1) Works well. Good speed and this emu revision has the better sound synch (r2) Same. Sound is off (too fast) in intro. Psx4 = works well. Fast sound.

Smurf Racer (NTSC-U SLUS-01359 – (r1) Crashes at race start (r2) Crashes in menus selecting a race.

Syphon Filter 2 [NTSC-U] [SCUS-94451] (r1) & (r2) Crashes to desktop.

Syphon Filter 3 (PAL SCES 03697) - (r1) Crashes to desktop on selection (r2) Same
Syphon Filter 3 [NTSC-U] [SCUS-94640] (r1) & (r2) Same.

Tekken 2 (PAL SCES 00255) - (r1) Good intros but long limbs gfx issue. (r2) Same.

Tekken 3 (PAL SCES 01237) - (r1) Works well but some slow down and audio stutter. Upto 40+ fps @ 1ghz (r2) Same.

Tenchu (PAL SLES 01374) - (CloneCD .img) (r1) Stll crashes after sony logo. (r2) Same.

Tenchu 2 (PAL SLES 02452) - (CloneCD .img) (r1) Runs well with good speed but loses sound periodically in cycles. (r2) Same.

Theme Park (PAL SLES 00072) – (r1) & (r2) Perfect

Thunder Force V Perfect System (J) [SLPS 01406] – (r1) Works Well. Some sound stutter and slow down but upto 50fps in game. (r2) Same.

Tiger Woods (U) (SLUS 01273) - (r1) & (r2) Severe stuttering slowdown.

Time Crisis [SLUS-00405] – (r1) Cursor cannot be moved but intros flawless (r2) Works Well. Possible to clear levels at full speed. Needs touchscreen. This does not work on Psx4 failing at the zipline to level 1.

Time Crisis II - Project Titan [SLUS-01336] (r1) & (r2) Fullspeed and controls fine but shots dont register, so enemies are invulnerable. Some character models become invisible during intro cutscenes. This is playable on Psx4.

Tony Hawks (PAL SLES 02055) - (r1) crashes to desktop after the intro animations. (r2) Playable but way under speed and slowdown. Psx4 = Fullspeed with music.

Tony Hawks 2 (PAL SLES 02908) – (r1) crashes to desktop when skater select screen appears. (r2) Runs well. Can randomly crash to desktop. Psx4 = Run fullspeed but no music.

Toy Story 2 (PAL SLES 02067) - Playable in both. Lots of sound stutter & audio slowdown, with black lines flickering on dialog. Black lines dont occur on Psx4.

Twisted Metal (E) [SCES-00061] – (r1) & (r2) – Perfect. Good 50fps in game.

Vagrant Story [SLUS-01040] – (.bin/.img./.mdf) (r1) No character models in cutscenes or in game.
Vagrant Story (PAL SLES 02754) – (Alc120% .img) Still no character models or wrongly placed ones. (r2) Same. (CloneCD .img) – (r1) & (r2) Works Well.
Vagrant Story (NTSC) - (.img) – Works well.

Vandal Hearts (PAL SLES 00204) – (r1) & (r2) Runs intros fine. Ingame is 50fps at 800mhz but the sound gets stuck on 1 dischord overlying the rest of the sound. Very annoying noise.

Virtual Pool [SLUS-00034] - (r1) Runs well.(2) Same

Virtual Pool 3 [SLUS-01374] – (r1) Crashes. (r2) Fixed. Playable but slow audio which despite a good fps, seems to slow things. Still a reasonable game of pool can be had without monkeys.

V Rally 2 (NTSC-U SLUS 01003) – (r1) Did run fast. Then after other games were played it required save states to skip the mem cards. Then it refused to create a driver (r2) Refuses to create a new driver and hangs.
V Rally 2 (PAL SLES 01907) (r1) (r2) Runs intros but crashes to desktop during demo races. Hangs selecting newly created driver.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire (PAL SLES 03589) – (r1) & (r2) Black Screens. Thank god.

Wipeout [SCUS-94301] (r1) & (r2) Still perfect.

Wipeout 3 [SLUS-00865] (r1) & (r2) Still perfect.

Wow notaz, you're amazing. I haven't tried any of this stuff but I just wanted to give you my praise - you seem to pull off some incredible things that most programmers can only dream of.

Exophase said:
Wow notaz, you're amazing. I haven't tried any of this stuff but I just wanted to give you my praise - you seem to pull off some incredible things that most programmers can only dream of.
It is pretty great stuff.

You are no slouch either though. Writing emus from scratch in ARM ASM as you have with Temper (best compatibility too) and GPsP was quite a feat as well.

All of you coders here do things that I could never dream of doing. Makes me feel real stoopid :p

Back