Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Hi everybody and thanks again to notaz, just got an Insolvenzgeldbescheid (no way im trying to translate what that is) an will get a bit of money in the near future, I'll make sure something reaches you ;)

One question though: Do the nubs work? Do I have to setup them somehow? I can't get them to work in GT2, in it's option menu Analog Settings are N/A.
Anyone any idea?

Megaman 8 crashes with the gles-plugin as soon as the title screen is completely drawn, worked before.
It gets into a strange state, where you can only see the outlines of the graphics. The rest is white.

Dead1nside said:
I wonder if Tinnus is working on anything, I remember him saying he was waiting until he saw how the PSX emu scene on Pandora was panning out. Very excited for this.
He has contacted me recently and said he is still interested, but he hasn't received his pandora yet.

Chaser said:
Bugs (?) : I have found that r2 version doesnt seem to remember last rom path after exit (defaults to /media), wont set framskip and carries its OC setting over to the OS when you exit. Is anyone else finding the first and latter issue aswell?
Should be fixed in r3. ROM path should be saved when you save global config.

Chaser said:
Anyway heres my Revised tests (mostly the same titles with the versions added, tried under both revisions):
Wow that's a long list, lots of things to check, thanks for compiling it.

Bonapart said:
i'll trying to get you code working at maemo
If you get this working you can send me patches so that you do not need to re-port each new version.

Balzac2m said:
One question though: Do the nubs work? Do I have to setup them somehow? I can't get them to work in GT2, in it's option menu Analog Settings are N/A.
Anyone any idea?
Not yet but can be added. A list of games supporting analog controllers would be useful for this.

mcobit said:
Megaman 8 crashes with the gles-plugin as soon as the title screen is completely drawn, worked before.
It gets into a strange state, where you can only see the outlines of the graphics. The rest is white.
Did I mention that GLES plugin is buggy and unstable? (or maybe it's because SGX driver, who knows). Just use the soft plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
Balzac2m said:
Anyone any idea?
Not yet but can be added. A list of games supporting analog controllers would be useful for this.

The Ridge Racer Series, F1 Series, and just about any other racing game will support analogue controllers.

notaz said:
Balzac2m said:
Anyone any idea?
By far not a complete list, just pulled some available data from wikipedia but it may be helpful for testing nonetheless:

Crash Bandicoot: Warped,
Spyro the Dragon
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Ape Escape

and from the internets (http://forums.ngemu.com/epsxe-discussion/111778-list-psx-games-supporting-ds-vibration.html):
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Harvest Moon: Back to nature
JetMoto3
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve
Populus: The Beginning
Porsche Challenge
QUake 2
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Dual Shock Version
Resident Evil 2 - Dual Shock Version
Saltwater Sport Fishing
Star Ocean: The Second Story
UmJammer Lammy
Vagrant Story

notaz: is there any ideas to use psx4m\psx4all GPU and SPU? you said in first post that you use slower gpu\spu plugins.
P.S. using psx4m gpu\spu will make porting to maemo easier that's why i'm asking; current code is compiling at maemo but i've get next log http://paste.kde.org/1831/ ; last 2 lines repeat every ten seconds

hlide said:
if I'm not wrong, R3k is a 5-stage pipeline (IF/ID/EX/MEM/WB). RA is read at ID stage and written at WB stage. The delay slot starts at ID stage of the branch-and-link instruction, so I guess RA in delay slot would be read BEFORE the branch-and-link instruction modifies it at its WB-stage. If delay slot modifies RA (say, ADDU RA,RA,...), RA modified by branch-and-link instruction may be considered as lost.
I assumed that is the case, but didn't test it on real hardware. In the emulator, I update RA after the delay slot, which might not be accurate if the delay slot instruction modifies RA.

hlide said:
For branch in a delay slot it's harder to guess : but it seems PC is always updated at ID stage, so it looks like PC will be the value modified by the branch in the delay slot.
I believe both branches are taken. The first branch is taken, one instruction is executed from its target, then the second branch is taken. This makes interrupts non-recoverable, so is never done in any normal program.

Exophase said:
Wow notaz, you're amazing. I haven't tried any of this stuff but I just wanted to give you my praise - you seem to pull off some incredible things that most programmers can only dream of.
I'm sure I could have ported pcsx if I'd tried, but I don't know how notaz churns stuff out so quickly. I wonder if he has a day job, because he seems to work on Pandora 7 days a week. :)

I'm planning to work on some of the dynarec issues that have come up, but I probably won't have time to do anything this week.

Chaser said:
Tony Hawks (PAL SLES 02055) - (r1) crashes to desktop after the intro animations. (r2) Playable but way under speed and slowdown. Psx4 = Fullspeed with music.

Tony Hawks 2 (PAL SLES 02908) – (r1) crashes to desktop when skater select screen appears. (r2) Runs well. Can randomly crash to desktop. Psx4 = Run fullspeed but no music.

Thanks For testing
Really want my pandora back now if THPS is working :D +

Re branches in delay slots on PS1:

http://smf.mameworld.info/?p=3

There are some other useful PS1 related blog posts there as well.

tried that suggestion about copying across the memory card across from psx4all and renaming it, Still getting the same hag on Worms World Party, Soul Reaver got past that, but crashed back to the desktop just after the opening cutscene. I'll try again dialing the cpu speed down a bit...

This is working good for me... And a tip for others... the per game settings work even for which graphics plugin you use per game... so you can save the GLES plugin for Ridge Racer Type 4 where it works fairly decently and use the PCSX4All plugin on things like Symphony of the Night... which has major slowdown with the ES plugin!

Good work Notaz + Team.

Bonapart said:
notaz: is there any ideas to use psx4m\psx4all GPU and SPU? you said in first post that you use slower gpu\spu plugins.
P.S. using psx4m gpu\spu will make porting to maemo easier that's why i'm asking; current code is compiling at maemo but i've get next log http://paste.kde.org/1831/ ; last 2 lines repeat every ten seconds
It looks like you built it with xvideo support, you should try using framebuffer instead. Latest git should autodetect that, if not edit the Makefile a bit.

Ari64 said:
Exophase said:
Wow notaz, you're amazing. I haven't tried any of this stuff but I just wanted to give you my praise - you seem to pull off some incredible things that most programmers can only dream of.
I'm sure I could have ported pcsx if I'd tried, but I don't know how notaz churns stuff out so quickly. I wonder if he has a day job, because he seems to work on Pandora 7 days a week. :)
Sure, many could do it but are either not interested, have no time or just don't care. For me it's a matter of motivation, and yes I do have full time day job (and could use some more sleep).

Exophase said:
http://smf.mameworld.info/

There are some other useful PS1 related blog posts there as well.
Thanks for bringing that up, I used to follow that blog but forgot completely about it.

Notaz: ok, i compiled, it seems to be working.
you menu stuffs at space key doesn't work (they set height of window to 8px and unusable)
so i think i should append my wrapper to key handling and all be fine

some fixes i made:
pcsx_rearmed\plugins\gpu-gles\Makefile
removed CROSS_COMPILE ?= arm-none-linux-gnueabi- line
append CFLAGS += -IC:\Projects\psx4m\gpu-gles (for gles headers)

Makefile:
removed $(PND_MAKE) -p pcsx_rearmed_$(VER).pnd -d out -x pandora/pcsx.pxml -i pandora/pcsx.png -c
i think i should write somethink about creating deb package here in future...

when i finish our frontend i'll send it to you
look's like i must also rewrite some SPU code(Sound device not available!); is there possible to compile with our SPU(from psx4all,http://code.google.com/p/psx4m/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Ffranspu) ?

one of my rips is exited with
Code:
CD-ROM Label: SCUS94240
CD-ROM ID: LOADEREXE
ari64_reset
 switching to 320x240@16
Compile at bogus memory address: bfc03aa4
[LWP 11765 exited]

Program exited with code 01.

Notaz, your welcome to the list (get some sleep though eh) and bear in mind whilst most are .bin/cue, some are .img or .mdf which aren´t your supposedly compatible formats. In addition I just found that Soul Reaver in PAL .ISO now works fine in (r2). No idea what changed. Time for (r3) ding ding...

Lobo said:
For what its worth, Soul Reaver PAL does definitely work (after about 5 mins of cutscene!).

I revisited mine too which I´d mentioned crashed out earlier (.ISO) and weirdly it now runs well! Its 5 mins of awesome cutscenes though too. Truly an epic game.

Bosbeetle said:
Colin mcrea 1 wont go past the menu for me, up to the menu it looks very good :)

What format is the PAL version in? Grab a trial copy of CloneCD and make a (.img) from it in a few minutes and it should be almost perfect.

Colin McCrae (PAL SLES 00477) (.img CloneCD) - (r1) >35fps at 800mhz. >45-50fps at 1ghz (r2) - Same.

Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver (PAL SLES 01301)) (ISO) - (r1) Used to crash on mem card check `start game´. Now runs intro CGI with full lip synch but crashes (either hard, or to desktop) during 1st in game cutscene. Can run demos fine. (r2) Works fullspeed except lip synch wrong on CGI and some audio slowdown in in-game cut scene speeches. 1ghz is very smooth.
Psx4 = Has always run this but lip synch is out on intro CGI, gfx have white sparkling texture issues (tears) and can trap you on contact and it doesnt look as vivid for some reason. It does however play smoother at 800mhz and above speed at 1ghz. Use either r2 or psx4 if audio is vital for this game.

meandu229, welcome but THPS games are better for now on Psx4 b5, no.1 (the best of the lot imhho) runs sweet :) Hope you get your Panda back soon.

Chaser said:
What format is the PAL version in? Grab a trial copy of CloneCD and make a (.img) from it in a few minutes and it should be almost perfect.
Just wondering, sometimes when you rip your original game CDs there is thing called a "subchannel" or something like that. What is this, what does it do and do you need this for the games to work right?

DaveC said:
Chaser said:
Just wondering, sometimes when you rip your original game CDs there is thing called a "subchannel" or something like that. What is this, what does it do and do you need this for the games to work right?
Subchannel data is just extra stuff that goes between the actual bytes of data, basically. It traditionally contains checksums for error checking, but some things use it for other stuff. For example, CD-G karaoke CDs store the animated lyrics and occasional picture in the subchannel data, and a lot of CD games use the subchannel data for copy protection. Most emulators ignore such copy protection checks though, so it's not needed. I can't think of any games off the top of my head that actually required the subchannel data, other than for said copy protection on the original console, but there may be some.

DaveC, you asked this before and I answered 'to my knowledge' (very limited) that the .sub data was subchannel and contained the audio. Wizardstan is giving the correct tech level answer. I also with paranoia ever present figured you were subtly hinting I should not be posting long lists of sleep deprivation to notaz based on versions of games not officially supported :)

However as a test for the last 10 minutes, I just removed .sub from PAL Vagrant Story (CloneCD rip) and ran it via r3 and then r2 versions of notaz emu. It fails to run beyond the 'new game' choice and sits on 'now loading' with no fps changes but the HDD flashing in both revisions. If you replace the .sub file it runs again. Oh and...

Vagrant Story (PAL SLES 02754) (.img needs .sub) - (r3) Has a warbling to the music that is annoying and absent in r2.

I will check other games if removal of .sub makes a difference. For now I need yesterdays breakfast.

Back