Pcsx4All For Caanoo Leaked At Openhandhelds

Khan

Well, I contacted Evildragon about this very matter but still no response (I guess he has his hands full with Pandora) so I post it here, hoping it can reach to him:

Hiya!

A beta version of PCSX4ALL for Caanoo has been uploaded to openhandhelds.org without permission of its author.

This isn´t nice, as it is a private beta, and should remain PRIVATE (It was clearly stated not to be shared and for testing purposes) and sent by request.

Please, could you remove that download from openhandhelds.org?

Thanks ;)

Not busy with Pandora, but in bed with flu ;)

Removed it. The uploader is not a member of this board (or he didn't post on the same day).
Unfortunately, as the server is located in Germany, I am not allowed to save IP addresses and therefore have mod_scramble running on the server.

:(

Khan said:
Well, I contacted Evildragon about this very matter but still no response (I guess he has his hands full with Pandora) so I post it here, hoping it can reach to him:

Hiya!

A beta version of PCSX4ALL for Caanoo has been uploaded to openhandhelds.org without permission of its author.

This isn´t nice, as it is a private beta, and should remain PRIVATE (It was clearly stated not to be shared and for testing purposes) and sent by request.

Thanks ;)

Are you kidding me? PCSX4ALL is under the GPL. Now not only is this project in violation for many months by not distributing the source code along with binaries, you are trying to restrict people from redistributing copies??

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA

Last edited by a moderator:
...still was able to download some file that claims to be pcsx4all from the direct link posted on facebook.

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

I'd say they can keep this beta if they finaly release the source someday like they promised. Otherways, of course, it would be annoying, but we should stop offending people that do work we can benefit from.

pder said:
Are you kidding me? PCSX4ALL is under the GPL. Now not only is this project in violation for many months by not distributing the source code along with binaries, you are trying to restrict people from redistributing copies??

http://www.gnu.org/l...sTheGPLAllowNDA
this is still in private beta test though? I thought you had to supply the source or you couldn't distribute the software, he's not distributeing it yet.

also isn't there a clause for not having to release if it will become a hindrance on your own release date of your software?

Did you personally submit code to that project?

jb0yx said:
pder said:

this is still in private beta test though? I thought you had to supply the source or you couldn't distribute the software, he's not distributeing it yet.

also isn't there a clause for not having to release if it will become a hindrance on your own release date of your software?

Did you personally submit code to that project?

Did you actually read the link? How can you say pcsx has not been distributed? Its been released in binary only form since August when the results from the gp32spain contest were published. People have been asking for the source code for months, but the requests have been ignored.

I'm not sure what clause you are talking about, but if you find it I would be interested in reading it.

I have never submitted code to pcsx.

I think the point is that the project hasn't been officially released. It's a glorified beta test, the equivalent of hand it out to a few dozen friends to see if they can break it before the public gets it fully, at which point the creator will release the source and everyone will have what they want.

pder said:

I do think this is a different case. This particular version was never meant to be distributed so I think it's reasonable for it to be removed.

That being said I think it's utter crap that the source to previously distributed versions has not been released. ZodTTD is especially guilty of this. It's a GPL program and if you put a binary out there freely or for profit you MUST release the source upon request. Is it at all possible to take legal action against these people? I understand they believe they're doing the community a service but they're doing the larger community a disservice and are tarnishing this community in the eyes of all who respect the GPL. I refuse to use or advocate the use of any work derived from GPL'd software when the source is not also released. I think OpenPandora should do the same as they make themselves a target for future lawsuits by willingly endorsing these violations.

Just my 2 cents.

pder said:
Did you actually read the link? How can you say pcsx has not been distributed? Its been released in binary only form since August when the results from the gp32spain contest were published. People have been asking for the source code for months, but the requests have been ignored.

I'm not sure what clause you are talking about, but if you find it I would be interested in reading it.

I have never submitted code to pcsx.
I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the caanoo port that got leaked like the rest of the thread was about, not the original program. My bad, if that doesn't have source there really is no excuse for them if it's publicly distributed and the devs should be shunned by the open source community.

It might only be a thing for hardware manufacturers, but it's a big deal in the android world, HTC (cell phone manufacturer) has been pressured with petitions and and letters regarding legal action for untimely release of kernel source because it's under GPL also, and they fall back on that clause form what I gathered. I forget the name and can't find the link but I remember reading it at one point. That and they're based in Tiwan so it's hard to actually do anyting legally to them other than have their products embargoed from import until they are compliant, and that's a long ass expensive legal process I hear.

Also your case would be laughed out of court if you cannot prove your rights are being violated. You are entitled to the source, but they are not infringing on any copywrite you personally own or contributed to. It's really hard to prove you are out of anything, you lost something by them not releasing what they should have. It kinda falls under the same realm of false advertising, witch just usually ends up being bad for business. Unless you're huge then you pay a fine if class action law suit is filed.

I can see people who host the files being held responsible for their content, but is that really the direction you want to take this, bite the hand that feeds us....

pder said:

It's a shame that common decency often takes a backseat to the 'do what you like mentality' on the net. The emulator wasn't finished and the guys behind it wanted to neaten it up before the general public got their hands on it. Is that so much to ask? If anything, they're doing the community a favour by not releasing anything until they can offer a high-quality product.

AJack said:
pder said:

It's a shame that common decency often takes a backseat to the 'do what you like mentality' on the net. The emulator wasn't finished and the guys behind it wanted to neaten it up before the general public got their hands on it. Is that so much to ask? If anything, they're doing the community a favour by not releasing anything until they can offer a high-quality product.

This would be fine if pcsx was under a closed source license and they wished to develop it this way, but its not.

They are making binary releases and ignoring requests for source. How is that possibly doing the community a favour? If anything I think it creates a hostile environment for developers wanting to contribute or learn from the code. If you only care about having a high quality product and being able to play games, you probably don't care about the source. But as annoying as the situation is for me just wanting to take a peek at the code, I would be pissed if I were one of the original authors of pcsx and people were treating my work with such disdain for the license.

Yes, the sourcecode was missing for the first WIZ release which is violating the GPL, however, AFAIK, sourcecode is going to be released christmas.

The leaked version was the CLOSED BETA for the Caanoo, which was never released before, so this version was NOT violating GPL.

pder said:
Khan said:

Hiya!

Thanks ;)

Ah yes, the GPL.. the root to all evil :)

pder said:
This would be fine if pcsx was under a closed source license and they wished to develop it this way, but its not.

They are making binary releases and ignoring requests for source. How is that possibly doing the community a favour? If anything I think it creates a hostile environment for developers wanting to contribute or learn from the code. If you only care about having a high quality product and being able to play games, you probably don't care about the source. But as annoying as the situation is for me just wanting to take a peek at the code, I would be pissed if I were one of the original authors of pcsx and people were treating my work with such disdain for the license.
I think they are dragging their asses on releasing the source because the coders of the emu hate the Pandora and don't want the emu ported to it. It sure seemed that way from their posts about it awhile back. If I were them I wouldn't worry about that, there doesn't seem to be anyone porting anything to the Pandora these days anyway.

They are making releases, but it's not for public consumption. To me, this is not at all subject to the GPL in that it's not public releases - that's almost like saying that every developer has to release their game source code because their making a build and distributing it to themselves or their friends. Why is it that the source code now has to be provided upon request simply because it is available to certain select people over the internet? Once it is publicly available, then people can ask for the public source code.

not nice

psx4all caanoo is not public because its in beta status
downloads where avilable for testers (helpers) only to make the emulator work
fine.

Do not disturb the DEV/S

technically speaking, any person who can download the closed beta binary should be able to download the closed beta source. Since whoever uploaded the emulator did not give the source, it was certainly right to take it down as then openhandhelds would be violating the GPL. As it is, any one that distributes the binary (not necessarily publicly mind you) has to make the source available to the same people.

I've seen before this claim about cleaning up the source before release. In the cases where they actually held back the source code, I don't think it ever got around to being 'good enough' to release. The proper way would be to make it available but note that it is in no state to be community modified / branched yet.

I would not be surprised if the source code takes quite a long time to get out on this project, if it makes it at all.

oh yeah no one ask me for my gp2xmb and the mana world
to maybe it can deleat to i want upload by my self...

Back