Perfect Tack-On Drive?

El Jefe

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/05/toshibas-320gb-hard-disk-is-worlds-largest-1-8-incher/

massive(as big as the laptop Im typing this on)
tiny
lesse bout power consumption:
seek/read/write = 1.3W
P=IV
1.3W=5V*XA
1.3/5 = .26 amps
4200mah=.26amps*1000*xh
260 mah in 1 hour... mk
or 433 mah depending on whether the voltage is 5v or 3.3v, not sure which. either way, tacking this on would use up 1/16 or 1/9 of the pandy's battery power every hour, assuming you are writing and reading the whole time, which isn't realistic.
not too bad...

Recently I made a topic about a 250GB 1.8 inch external hard drive (samsung S1 Mini) and I though that was impressive.

320 GB on a 1.8' hard-drive ! It's probably going to be a tad expensive but considering the portability and low power consummation it would be perfect for a pandora.

Obviously have to wait for those to be available in some USB external hd.

WOW. That's gotta be some major density on those platters haha! Amazing. Guess we'll have to wait for a price. I'd say something like "we'll never need that much space!" but seeing as how my 750GB external is already nearly full, 320GB actually seems quite small. :p

Lol, and here i got 2 1TB drives, one internal and one external, both are almost full, lol.

the external one is STUFFED with anime ;)

EDIT: and oh, any small 1,8" 2 usb available? wed need on of those.

I've got a IDE 2 USB thats usb port powered (not really but the chips ran on 5v so quick solder fix lol)

Newegg has only one 1.8" drive enclosure, which is linked here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707128

If you click on one of the photos, you can see just how small it is. The USB cable looks larger than the enclosure.

I have a 1.8 inch enclosure that I put in an old MP3 player hard drive into, but it's only 20 gigs. I think the drive is dying though so all the more reason to buy something bigger!

there are 1TB 2.5 inch

ed: what I mean is you might as well aim for the largest possible capacity if you don't have it plugged in all the time

neonfish said:
there are 1TB 2.5 inch

ed: what I mean is you might as well aim for the largest possible capacity if you don't have it plugged in all the time
Do you know energy specifications for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
says on site: USB 2.0 interface - Powered directly from the USB port on your PC. No separate power supply is needed.

so 500ma max

the hard disk enclosure linked is not for sata. I have one and is supports IDE in LIF and ZIF. we'll have to wait for someone to make a 1.8" sata enclosure.
in fact this is the first 1.8" sata drive I have seen.

DuckMan said:
the hard disk enclosure linked is not for sata. I have one and is supports IDE in LIF and ZIF. we'll have to wait for someone to make a 1.8" sata enclosure.
in fact this is the first 1.8" sata drive I have seen.

Sorry, I should have looked at it more carefully.

I tend to shy away from moving parts on handhelds.

btw, apparently the low power stage, which is like the middle stage of power consumption, when its not active, but not sleeping, is .4W
and I confirmed its 5V, so .4/5 = .08 amps. .08*1000 = 80ma.
so if not being actively used, it would only use 1/50 of the pandora's power every hour.
if the pandora by itself lasts 12 hours,
thats 4200/12=350 ma
so 350+80 = 430
4200/430 = 9.75.
combined, that pandy and the drive would last 9.75 hours, assuming its average state is "Low Power Idle"
looks like 2.5" drives use about 25% more power.

I am pretty sure I red somewhere than for the Samsung s1 min the usb controller what directly on the harddrive.

GizmoTheGreen said:
marshal said:
I am pretty sure I red somewhere than for the Samsung s1 min the usb controller what directly on the harddrive.

wat?
He is correct. I recall the same thing.

or is it what about what spelling what?

I didn't understand the Samsung sentence.. maybe someone can translate.

Tor said:
I didn't understand the Samsung sentence.. maybe someone can translate.
Samsung what usb controller into the hard drive.

Spinpoint N3U incorporates a native USB controller on its printed circuit board. This optimized design results in a smaller foot print, less power consumption and optimized performance

I just wanted to say that the usb controller was on the hard drive (integrated in the hard drive). neonfish made the "translation" for me ! (lol)

I guess I should pay more attention when posting.

Back