Peripherals

Frogboy

Wake me when it's over.
Website
Visit site

The GP2X has quite a few peripherals that you can purchase seperately for it if you want. Pandora seems to including most or all of the functionality that you would get with these included in the initial purchase.

GP2X............Pandora
----............-------
Case............Included in clamshell design
TV-out..........Just need S-Video cable
Cradel..........Just need a four-port USB hub
Power Adapter...Included
Wrist Strap.....Possibly included but who cares either way

Are there going to be any extras planned that we'll be able to purchase?

Any good ideas from the community for extra add-ons?

Frogboy said:

The GP2X has quite a few peripherals that you can purchase seperately for it if you want. Pandora seems to including most or all of the functionality that you would get with these included in the initial purchase.

GP2X............Pandora
----............-------
Power Adapter...Included

There has not been any official confirmation that an AC adapter will be included. Craigix stated that he expected most people to charge their Pandora via USB. For TV-out, some sort of cable will be needed since Pandora will not have an S-video or composite socket on the device itself. We don't know if the ext-to-video cable will be included or not.

Those are two official accessories that you can probably expect to purchase separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Craig promised us a LONG time ago that the Pandora would come with an AC cable. And I'm fairly positive that he promised us that the TV-out cable would come with the handheld, too.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Actually Craig promised us a LONG time ago that the Pandora would come with an AC cable. And I'm fairly positive that he promised us that the TV-out cable would come with the handheld, too.
He also said that since you could charge it via USB, how many people would like the price reduced by not having the AC adaptor included by default. People seemed to like that idea.

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
He also said that since you could charge it via USB, how many people would like the price reduced by not having the AC adaptor included by default. People seemed to like that idea.

Damn it, that's why I decided not to post anything within the forums again until I had found time to read up what had built up while I was gone. But his comment just seemed so obviosly wrong... <_<

Was I right about the TV-out, tho'?

-God Ginrai

Squidge said:
I've been under the impression that it would take far too long to chargia via USB because of the low voltage that it uses, making it impractical. (or whatever it's called, I'm no electrician)

Chip said:
Frogboy said:

GP2X............Pandora
----............-------
Power Adapter...Included

There has not been any official confirmation that an AC adapter will be included. Craigix stated that he expected most people to charge their Pandora via USB. For TV-out, some sort of cable will be needed since Pandora will not have an S-video or composite socket on the device itself. We don't know if the ext-to-video cable will be included or not.

Those are two official accessories that you can probably expect to purchase separately.

I'm pretty sure that a universal power supply will be included unless something changed since I read that. I'm not expecting the S-Video and audio cables to be included unless a proprietary cable is needed. I could be wrong though.

Edit: It is possible that Pandora will only come with a charger and not a power adapter.

Frogboy said:
Edit: It is possible that Pandora will only come with a charger and not a power adapter.
Or maybe with a USB socket instead of a USB port.

What? no AC charger? this will be really bad, charging via USB takes longer, and sometimes people want to use their Pandora while they are plugged to the wall, like when playing using TV out for hours, not everyone has an HTPC attached to their TVs, and what about if we are traveling and not carrying a laptop? no no no... me want AC power adapter :(

Nothing to worry about, there are AC to USB plugs out there, I got one with my Motorolla RAZR, charges faster than with my PC, so I believe that should be used, if the extra power is available on the line, then use it, say 1000mA.

As for the original question, I'd like to see a nice case with an awesome looking Pandora logo on the front of it. I know that any Nintendo DS case will probably work just fine but I'd prefer the official one if they come out with one. I know the outer case will protect the really important stuff but I'd like to keep the outer case from getting all scratched up.

Shiny said:
Squidge said:
I've been under the impression that it would take far too long to chargia via USB because of the low voltage that it uses, making it impractical. (or whatever it's called, I'm no electrician)

5V should be fine, but the current limiting issue may be a problem on some laptops and small PC's. Should be able to change the charge current from the Pandora though (or it may be automatic by using the 5th pin in the USB connector like most other devices - if the pin is O/C then use up 500mA, but if the pin is GND, use upto 1A).

Also means you can fast charge from PC's that support it.

I still can't find it useful when playing via TV out for hours (which something am sure many will do).

I do believe that Craigix also mentioned that they were "thinking of using an AC adapter everyone already had", with the context implying that the AC adapter would, in fact, be the GP2x one.

If that is still the case, then many won't have to fork out for the adapter even if it does turn out that it doesn't ship with it included. Admittedly I would have to, but such is life.

well so long as it ships with some way of charging the battery im not bothered.

sehs33 said:
I still can't find it useful when playing via TV out for hours (which something am sure many will do).
Why? If you want to use it away from a PC, it would simply require an adaptor with a USB socket. I have one of those for iPod, Satnav, Phone and many other devices. I'm sure many other people will have the same setup.

Tobriand said:
I do believe that Craigix also mentioned that they were "thinking of using an AC adapter everyone already had", with the context implying that the AC adapter would, in fact, be the GP2x one.
I do hope they don't use the gp2x power supply, I want to get rid of this centre negative crap all together.

Plus, since the thing will charge from 5V USB, it would make sense to use a 5V DC input too.

Logical, Squidge, we need your confirmation to close this subject for good: will it charge through USB to AC as fast as it will charge through DC to AC (using an adapter)?

Squidge said:
I do hope they don't use the gp2x power supply, I want to get rid of this centre negative crap all together.
My gp2x charger liked to sometimes make a high pitched whine sound when the gp2x wasn't on/plugged in. Like the noise some CRT tv's and stuff make. So let's get a power charger of vaguely decent quality if possible. :huh:

How about an FM transmitter and a bluetooth module? I know you can get those normally but could there be one some that are better fitted for the Pandora? Also, maybe an IR port of some kind. I guess these could all be usb but who knows. Oh yah we could also get a motion sensor of some sort like a gyroscope or accelerometer.

Back