Perspective Of A New User:

amobius

Still Fresh
Hello freinds and the GP2X forum :)
I ordered my GP2X from Play Asia and they got that thing to my home from south korea in like 24 hours man.
I have to give props to them for that.

I have a few questions as a newb at the gp2x scene , I run f8 and toy around in gentoo if im feeling too confident, so i know the ext3 file layout and I can pass for a user in *nix.

I hope I phrase my questions properly , so here goes my perspectives about my first time use.

1. I was able to install the mamegp2x , but after realizing there is some sort of re encoding process
to make the games compatible with that emulator, I opted to go for the seemingly simpler NES platform emulation. I extracted and copied 3 rom files over , ninja gaiden, zelda 1 and mike tysons punch out and to my happy smile , I got 2 of those 3 to run, only they are not playable due to slowness. Is there somthing I can do to speed up my gp2x or have i done somthing wrong in installing them?

(-About the overclocking...is there an option in the console itself for that or a script i can run?)

- Aside from not being able to actually play the roms outright I was very excited to see them on the screen running, the quality in graphics was perfect emulation, I cant wait to get this baby tuned up properly.
If I could fix that slowness...

Anyway, thats me introducing myself , I thank the admins truly for making this here because it appears to be the main info source on the gp2x.

With kind regards
_amobius

You are getting poor speeds with a Nintendo emulator? It sounds like either it is really under clocked or you got a terrible crappy Nes emulator. I have a handful of Snes games that run almost perfect on my GP2X F200.

Most emulators have an option to adjust the clock speed of the program And with Gmenu2x you can actually adjust the clock speed with the shortcut icons without running the program.

Imhotep and gavi, thankyou guys SO much for that tidbit... I am not yet versed in the various emulators that are out yet.

GP FCE runs most of my games flawlessly I am SO happy now :)

I wasnt able to get mike tysons punch out ( one my all time faves ) to work from the first fight, oddly enough if i used the cheat code to go straight to the end of the game , that fight was working perfectly, I cant wait until I get that rom working.
Again thanks a million for sharing that info with me, now i can use my gp!!

By The way, What would be a decent video encoder ( decent as in one which is known to work on the gp2x)

I cant wait to try out the video playback function. I use mplayer
ans mEncoder in linux , though im not really crafty with the command line use of mEncoder yet. I'm sure there is a link on this very board with the answer to this question, however i was not able to locate it with any level of speed.
I look forward to becoming part of this community and offering my bit along the way :)

Truly,
_amobius

Many people here use PocketDivXEncoder for Windows. I recommend the iRiver PMP100 template.

Theres a converter in the archive that works great. Strangly, for me, Mike Tyson's Punch Out! works fine for me, and I didnt need to reencode any of my

gpfce runs all my 20+ nes roms at fullspeed for most, if not 3/4 speed. i just wish state saves were easier to load. and it had a rewind function like one of the psp nes emulators. for my video encoder, i use the PocketDivXEncoder

Back