PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

No big shocker here, but they've already surpassed their KS goal. Which was set to a really quite low $100k. So this is it, unless they end up pulling the project for some reason they're now on the hook. And I fully expect this to turn into another Kickstarter tragedy with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. At least this time some of the backers are actually aware of how little this adds up but still couldn't help themselves. I guess you can really crowd fund anything these days if you're good enough at making renders.

I suppose I should give them credit for at least being able to create CAD drawings of something superficially resembling their proposed product. But then I'm taken back by how deceitful it all is. No way is there anything resembling a working hinge there. I bet the thing has all sorts of tape and materials keeping the two parts together, maybe even a stand hidden behind it with the rest of the hidden cabling and electronics.

Maybe I should go easy on their ridiculously poorly conceived budget plans and target goal since they say they have outside investment secured. But isn't that the exact opposite of their provided backstory? Where they say they were forced to crowd fund specifically because their investors dropped them. But I don't really doubt that the KS is really pure investor bait, as seems to be the trend these days.

What should really be making people think is that they say they've been developing for two years, have little to show for it, but want their backers to believe that they'll have a finished product mass produced and out the door in under 9 months. Makes you wonder what they spent those two years doing and what they think the money will actually enable now.

Where do all these companies get their inspirations to make small Handhelds with PC-capabilities? ;) I realize that the Pandora was more influential than i thought. Not a bad thing, as long as the Pyra get the deserved attention and not all these wannabe's.

Where do all these companies get their inspirations to make small Handhelds with PC-capabilities? ;) I realize that the Pandora was more influential than i thought. Not a bad thing, as long as the Pyra get the deserved attention and not all these wannabe's.

I doubt Pandora has anything to do with it. These sorts of non-mainstream gaming handhelds have been a thing since forever. This one isn't very Pandora-esque. It doesn't even have a keyboard. You could call the second screen a keyboard facsimile but I find that dubious given the more obvious inspirations from Nintendo.

Only fairly recently has it really made sense to throw an x86 SoC and Windows on one so we're seeing these instead of the usual ARM and Android fare.

Well it seems they managed 450 odd backers in 24 hours.. Despite that negativity from people who backed it only to make warning comments in the PGS KS comments section . They have been having to respond to them for the last 12 hours or so.. Hoolly doolly.

All I can say is remember what happened to the Skarp Laser Razor which had raised $4 million on Kickstarter and was still live when KS pulled the campaign for not showing an explicit enough working prototype. The PGS is orders of magnitude worse than what Skarp showed.
[doublepost=1467417512,1467416098][/doublepost]Ok, I finally found them, it seems they are a registered LLC company in Detroit. Here is the registry listing for them:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt_llc.asp?id_nbr=E7561M&name_entity=PGS LAB LLC

Well it seems they managed 450 odd backers in 24 hours.. Despite that negativity from people who backed it only to make warning comments in the PGS KS comments section . They have been having to respond to them for the last 12 hours or so.. Hoolly doolly.

All I can say is remember what happened to the Skarp Laser Razor which had raised $4 million on Kickstarter and was still live when KS pulled the campaign for not showing an explicit enough working prototype. The PGS is orders of magnitude worse than what Skarp showed.

By all means KS's reasoning in cancelling Laser Razor would apply here, but I doubt it'll end up happening unless it gets much more mainstream criticism. They also benefit from this not really being groundbreaking or unproven technology; it's probably something that a highend phone manufacturer could at least come close to, maybe even at a similar price target. The biggest problems are with how lacking in resources and experience the developers seem to be.

There a real LLC. I better go throw my money at them before they run out of discount scams and I need to pay full price.

oh please...not all money into such means backers, that must not be hard to tell as it has happened before for soo long and so many times.
pretty please.

Can someone visit their office, or atleast the location they shot from in the video?

Is the PCB showing in the video something they made? All the chips are either sanded down or have had their markings edited out in post.

The prototype is a screen, that may or may not be showing prerendered content, and a guy pressing buttons.

So im seeing on the video a paper? or 3D-printed thing, which a guy has in a wood workshop. There is no way that wasnt staged.
Just like their work enviroment. "incredible japanese engineers" on old imacs?

Same as the guy "running it"
Quadrophonic audiosystem he says in the video:
Thats 4channel mono from what i remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound for those inclined
Site says 5 channel. No, 4.1 isnt 5 channels. And there is no sub in that thing, so which one is it?
Can we agree on the amount of speakers, and then discuss how you send at least two channels in the wrong direction…

"pixillation" Not where I come from.

5742bb02f01bd4b1ebfec32956167737_original.png

Bakers?

prototypepgs.png

Does this say what I think it says?

Last edited:
The video with the guys in front of the iMacs is stock video footage.
Very common when doing imagevideos and commercials, but probably not appropriate for a kickstarter video.

There is not a single PCB anywhere that they made.
They butchered a Surface, Cube and Ipega and put it into a case.
The content you see on the prototype is not prerendered, it's from the Surface.

And yes, I wouldn't call that a prototype, not even a proof of concept (as the hardware isn't even in the case, it's outside the case.

I backed them with 1USD, in order to follow all internal updates and maybe leave a comment every now and then.

I'd like to see a picture of their team. I doubt the people in the video are them, could be wrong. Anyway, a team pic would be nice to see just who they are and their roles.

There is 14 people in the video yet there team is only 7 people (they told me) . They said they had others along the line, so there's that. But something just doesn't seem right.

View attachment 28648
Well... they look sympathetic to Me ;)

I especially love the devilish looking guy in the middle (same as in the video) surrounded by all girls in the team.
Either he uses extensive powder make-up or should get out in the sun at least once a year ;))

Interesting though from the About Us text:
"Unfortunately, the vision of our investors was different from the vision of our team."

That's why they had to choose Kickstarter.

But a bit further down:
"Preliminary agreements with independent investors guarantee us proper realization of the project, even in case if there are any additional expenses due to various reasons. "

Soo.. they had to use Kickstarters because their investors wanted a different device, but they still have those investors in the back in case something goes wrong?
Weird.

I especially love the devilish looking guy in the middle (same as in the video) surrounded by all girls in the team.
I had a different reaction ("super villain wannabe" went through my mind), but I was still amused by it.

Either he uses extensive powder make-up or should get out in the sun at least once a year ;)
I go out in the sun, but I always try to cover most of my skin and wear a lot of sunscreen. I used to spend a lot of time exposed to the sun and am now paying for it. On Tuesday I am getting some stuff checked out for possible skin cancer. Stay out of the sun. :)

Soo.. they had to use Kickstarters because their investors wanted a different device, but they still have those investors in the back in case something goes wrong?
Weird.
I thought they posted about this here, somewhere. I think they said they were trying to do it independently and without KS, but after the internet response to sharing the video the investors wanted to try getting it crowdfunded.

Either he uses extensive powder make-up or should get out in the sun at least once a year ;))

Hey, be nice to teenage Russian Jimmy Carr.

I have a new theory that explains all of this silliness. The PGS "team" consists of one or more Russian trust-fund-kids. The "backers" are their parents. The shady and unrealistic nature of this campaign is because (A) they're spoiled and have no business experience, (B) shady business scams are just SOP in Russia, or (C) both. Interestingly, this is the only explanation that might lead to this device actually getting made, as only a doting billionaire parent could possibly fund something as expensive and doomed to lose money as this project.

I doubt Pandora has anything to do with it. These sorts of non-mainstream gaming handhelds have been a thing since forever. This one isn't very Pandora-esque. It doesn't even have a keyboard. You could call the second screen a keyboard facsimile but I find that dubious given the more obvious inspirations from Nintendo.

Only fairly recently has it really made sense to throw an x86 SoC and Windows on one so we're seeing these instead of the usual ARM and Android fare.
I mainly thought about the GPD WIN but OK, this one here without any Keyboard may be not inspired by a Pandora...more by an GPD XD I'm sure.
It also is likely that modern mobile Chips and Win10 itself are inspiration enough to make such devices, because it is easier to do than in the past.

This response seems to create more questions than it answers

"Our company is registered in Detroit. We are planning to rent an office there after the end of the campaign, and to move there. Forgive my poor English, I was born in Russia, and not very good in speaking English. English-speaking part of our team is now in China, and working with our manufacturing partners. "

1) for Hardcore version, why use SSD when you can use Pcie or M.2 storage ? And it gives a smaller form factor. Maybe by using these, the thickness can be minimise.
Creator PGS LAB 2 days ago said:
\\ why use SSD when you can use Pcie or M.2 storage?
In the old version of our device will be used ZFS memory. The speed is equal to a standard SSD drives.

Guy asks about hardware solution for storage.
PGS answers about filesystem.

It seems everything is software with these people.

Back