PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

I like how projects like this totally break kicktraq's projection modelling.

Is it just me or PGS started to use fake accounts on KS to boost morale?

Maybe, but you can find true believers anywhere.

Every time some emulator hoax comes around and people point out why it's an obvious fake there are always people who get defensive and angry, start bringing up emulators that people thought were impossible and so on.

In this case i am not so sure of "true belivers" more like blind belivers.
I backed PGS Kickstarter initialy, but those updates ... i mean updates are just ridiculous.

I would love to have x86 small PC for lite work, but i wont risk it in PGS case :(

GPD Win is looking promising for x86. I believe ED is doing preorders on his store too!

I'd love for PGS to exist too, would be a fun device to muck about with. It's funny for them being big fans of handheld gaming there is no mention of GP32, GP2X, Pandora, etc. If I was a university professor teaching a business class I would love to develop a case study on that project and contrast it with the Pyra, and I think PGS if they did any market research could have taken notes on how ED communicating with his updates and providing a great deal of inside information on the whole process. They say they spent 2 years developing this concept and there's nothing to show for it, too bad these scammers are probably going to run off with a nice payday. GGWP

More on exclusive games.

@PGS, So are there any exclusive games for PGS that take advantage of the extra features of the console? Has any game dev studio shown interest in your endeavor?

Why not. For example, some temporary exclusive games by indie developers. Sometimes they create true masterpieces.

So actually, timed exclusives.

Why would anyone do such a thing for a platform like this? PGS offers them a load of cash? It must be nice to have unlimited money for these things.

I'm just imagining how this gets enforced. Maybe the game starts up and makes you do something on both screens. Even that would be hard to tie to PGS.

Besides the obvious of what studio is going to do a timed release on the PGS, what kind of DRM would they implement? It would have to be tied to hardware checks like the Oculus, but they do not have their own platform like Oculus Home so /shrug. If they have a partnership with a small indie studio to have some games preinstalled it would be more plausible. But that seems like a waste of money for the "investor" that is apparently financing this deal. I think the hardware should sell itself, some small indie games preinstalled isn't a big coup when the buyer would probably find them in a indie bundle for a couple dollars.

Besides the obvious of what studio is going to do a timed release on the PGS, what kind of DRM would they implement? It would have to be tied to hardware checks like the Oculus, but they do not have their own platform like Oculus Home so /shrug. If they have a partnership with a small indie studio to have some games preinstalled it would be more plausible. But that seems like a waste of money for the "investor" that is apparently financing this deal. I think the hardware should sell itself, some small indie games preinstalled isn't a big coup when the buyer would probably find them in a indie bundle for a couple dollars.

I'm sure you saw but they actually said they wouldn't do DRM. I think the idea is that the game would come pre-installed on the device and wouldn't be distributed anywhere else for a while.

It sounds like this is what the $15k is buying. A license to ship on all PGSes and a timed exclusivity deal.

This arrangement would probably make it a much bigger target for piracy than a typical DRM-free game is, because now people are pirating it not because they don't want to pay for it but because that's the only way to even play it w/o using totally new (and not very cheap) hardware. No way would I agree to all this for $15k, especially not if my game is contest-winning quality.

It's a bad idea for PGS anyway, probably not even worth their $15k either. No one is going to decide to buy PGS because it has a single timed exclusive indie game on it. That indie game is never going to generate enough buzz to go viral when so few people have it, but even if it did it still wouldn't sell the system.

Last edited:
They're probably trying to divert people from "negative" comments mostly caused by their last "technical" updates.

I think it doesnt make any sense to talk moore about PGS. I will just watch how it will go down the drain. Afterwards you can look to the sky and see the Pyra:)

I think it doesnt make any sense to talk moore about PGS. I will just watch how it will go down the drain. Afterwards you can look to the sky and see the Pyra:)

But it's just so interesting. No matter how bad they look they always find some new thing to say that makes them look even worse.

Despite this I still doubt they'll lose enough funding to go below their goal.

Hopefully by then I will be able to look in my hands and see the Pyra.

They're probably trying to divert people from "negative" comments mostly caused by their last "technical" updates.

This is probably correct. Just like the curious new backers that all are parroting the GPD Troll accusations, it is stopping the bleeding somewhat.

But it's just so interesting. No matter how bad they look they always find some new thing to say that makes them look even worse.

It's like MST3K. We watch the trainwreck and comment on the absurd hilarity of everything.

I keep seeing the number of backers fluctuating, and I am wondering if the new ones are real people, or just accounts to boost the numbers. Some of them seem to be adding the cost of one of the units, so my guess is they are real. What would cause new people to back it at this point? Are they looking at the 300%+ funding and thinking it is safe or real, or just getting caught up in "everybody else is doing it"?

Perhaps, but given how the campaign has gone so far I suspect it will end up being cancelled before it finishes, by KS if not by PGS themselves.

I keep seeing the number of backers fluctuating, and I am wondering if the new ones are real people, or just accounts to boost the numbers. Some of them seem to be adding the cost of one of the units, so my guess is they are real. What would cause new people to back it at this point? Are they looking at the 300%+ funding and thinking it is safe or real, or just getting caught up in "everybody else is doing it"?

That'd be a dangerous game if so. I seem to recall it being against kickstarter rules to back your own project.

-Neelix

According to the daily data on Kicktraq, they've lost backers overall every day for the last three days, and each backer seems to be worth around $400 by my calculations. I don't check the kickstarter directly, but that $400 number is rather high with even a non discount hardcore version being $320, so it's probably x cancellations, y people reducing their pledges to minimum and z new people not aware of the shenanigans and signing up, with x+y>z and x>z.

New backers backing in the same way a lot of the old backers do.. stumble upon the project from somewhere, thinks it looks good, don't look too much deeper into it. Not everyone will spend the time to read forums or the KS comments or look at Kicktraq trends before backing something.

According to the daily data on Kicktraq, they've lost backers overall every day for the last three days, and each backer seems to be worth around $400 by my calculations. I don't check the kickstarter directly, but that $400 number is rather high with even a non discount hardcore version being $320, so it's probably x cancellations, y people reducing their pledges to minimum and z new people not aware of the shenanigans and signing up, with x+y>z and x>z.
When I checked it earlier the balance of backers for the day was 0, but they were more than $1000 down. They've lost at least one high-value backer today which is probably inflating that figure a bit.

-Neelix

New backers backing in the same way a lot of the old backers do.. stumble upon the project from somewhere, thinks it looks good, don't look too much deeper into it. Not everyone will spend the time to read forums or the KS comments or look at Kicktraq trends before backing something.
Hmmm, I even investigate the hell out of things like books, and wouldn't jump into something for a couple hundred dollars without trying to find out a little. I guess impulsive decisions are where the money is.

Back