Phantasy Star Online Type Game

dabomb3627

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
pretty much self explanatory. who agrees that there should be a game in the same spirit of PSO (phantasy star online) for the pandora/linux with an online world if enough server space can be obtained?

It would be nice to have this type of game on the Panda, but since it would take years to make, by the time it is ready most people here would be onto whatever the next big handheld is by then.

How about porting FreeDroidRPG? That's basically a Diablo clone (and PSO is basically a Diablo clone too, when you think about it) [edit: It's not multiplayer, sadly, but perhaps that'd be a good place to start modding...]

That reminds me, I think I'll dust off my Gamecube and do a bit more PSO'ing - it's been a while! [ if you're not aware, there's a free server you can connect to, since the official Sega ones were shut down]

DarkStone on PSX is not enogh?
zeemaa1.jpg

I enjoyed PSO episode 3 quite a bit. Tactics strategy meets card battle. Someone make a game like that too :p

benjymous said:
That reminds me, I think I'll dust off my Gamecube and do a bit more PSO'ing - it's been a while! [ if you're not aware, there's a free server you can connect to, since the official Sega ones were shut down]

Awesome, thanks Benjymous! I didn't know about the free server, and being PSO was one of my favorite games, i think i'm gonna give it another go now thanks to you! :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you could. Then, you would be playing a game that has absolutely nothing in common with Phantasy Star Online, but hey, you'd be playing Gauntlet! Is that nothing?

The old sega would have made a game for the pandora.... maybe

probably just a simple port of an arcade game but still...

I'm sure we'd all love to see an mmorpg. Instead of dreaming, let's assemble, organize, donate, and code!

thanks for the heads up on the free server (digs around for gamecube broadband connector thing)

and thanks for the support buzzo, but first we need to enlist. calling all game makers with 3d experience! (and we'll probably need a couple network devs to help us with the whole mmorpg server protocol)

Sorry for the Gauntlet thing, I`ve never played PSO, so I assumed you were kind of just talking about coop RPG`s ...
I`ll shutup now.

Linkous said:
thanks for the heads up on the free server (digs around for gamecube broadband connector thing)

and thanks for the support buzzo, but first we need to enlist. calling all game makers with 3d experience! (and we'll probably need a couple network devs to help us with the whole mmorpg server protocol)
You can also do PSO: BB on the PC (entirely free, just get the client). Anyway, I'm very intrigued about this, I mentioned to a friend of mine that the P&|A would be a great device for PSO (I honestly have no idea why the thought came to me.) I'm primarily an AI and network programmer, so I may be able to help (slightly stronger with networking, but haven't done anything on this scale.) Is the game going to be a clone or a game kind of like PSO? I did notice the title said "PSO Type Game," as well as the post describing it in the same vain. I just want to be 100% on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the greatest qualities PSO had was that it could be played well on a dialup connection (after all, it was originally released when dialup was still dominant in many more places than it is today). :p I think this is something worth remembering if this idea gets off of the ground.

nah its gonna be a clone (doesnt want to be sued) but i was thinking about tinkering with the theme a bit, but leaving the gameplay the same (no medieval WoW or runescape crap though). but i think the scenery and (sembelence of a) storyline made the game a real masterpiece, the whole ancient collides with photon weapons was a pretty amazing concept. so option b would be to leave everything the same, maybe even poach a few map layouts, but just tweak things just enough.

Back