Php Object Generator's Logo Is Almost The Same As The Pandora'

God Ginrai said:
That will only cause problems. Especially if they don't actually get the logo copyrighted but try to pass it off as if it is.

The logo already is copyrighted. As soon as something is created, it is copyright. At least in North America. I'm pretty sure it's similar in the UK but I could be wrong.
A copyright extends to that specific representation: in this case we have a blue boxy thing with white filling. phpOG is the same shape but totally different colour. Different representations, different copyrights. They could get into a law suit over it, but they'd have to prove that it really is a copy of their logo, and not just a coincidence. You draw a picture of a white horse, I draw a brown horse: same image, different colour, not a copy. You draw a picture of a white horse, I snap a picture and fill it in brown, copied. This is a clear case of coincidence, so a copyright suit would serve no purpose on either side.

The term you're actually looking for is trademark, not copyright. Trademarks need to be applied for and maintained. A trademark doesn't cover just the specific representation, but also the... intent... behind the image. Intent is the wrong word, but I can't think of what it is anymore. Basically, if the image can be in any way confused with a trademarked logo, whether you change the colour, rotate it, skew it, or any other small changes, then it breaks trademark. Unless you have a lot of money and a team of lawyers, trademarks generally aren't worth the effort. This especially applies if the logos are for similar services. See Apple vs Apple for an example of trademark infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:
That will only cause problems. Especially if they don't actually get the logo copyrighted but try to pass it off as if it is.

The logo already is copyrighted. As soon as something is created, it is copyright. At least in North America. I'm pretty sure it's similar in the UK but I could be wrong.
A copyright extends to that specific representation: in this case we have a blue boxy thing with white filling. phpOG is the same shape but totally different colour. Different representations, different copyrights. They could get into a law suit over it, but they'd have to prove that it really is a copy of their logo, and not just a coincidence. You draw a picture of a white horse, I draw a brown horse: same image, different colour, not a copy. You draw a picture of a white horse, I snap a picture and fill it in brown, copied. This is a clear case of coincidence, so a copyright suit would serve no purpose on either side.

The term you're actually looking for is trademark, not copyright. Trademarks need to be applied for and maintained. A trademark doesn't cover just the specific representation, but also the... intent... behind the image. Intent is the wrong word, but I can't think of what it is anymore. Basically, if the image can be in any way confused with a trademarked logo, whether you change the colour, rotate it, skew it, or any other small changes, then it breaks trademark. Unless you have a lot of money and a team of lawyers, trademarks generally aren't worth the effort. This especially applies if the logos are for similar services. See Apple vs Apple for an example of trademark infringement.

but you still have too, or should show representation of copyright

by preferably including both the logo and the word COPYRIGHT
but yeah my understanding is the same as yours

also mmmmmmmm to the DPD van
im trying to remember what the van looked like, it was something like that and could well be, but i think it may also have been exactly the same as pandora logo only different colour, slightly thicker lines i think though

you wouldnt happen to know if those vans operate in belfast ireland :lol:

Putting the word "copyright" on anything is absolutely meaningless - in any country that ratified the Berne Convention (which is most of them) copyright automatically occurs when you create something. If you want to be able to sue anyone, though, you have to register your copyright with the government.

I had hoped one of the team would have posted on the subject by now, given how soon production will commence. The logo is embossed on the case lid, so once the case tooling is complete they will be stuck with it.

POG looks like a fairly small open source project, and I doubt they'd kick up a fuss (or, to be completely honest, have enough clout to do anything about it), but a logo dispute after production is probably the last thing OpenPandora needs right now.

Ideally this should be resolved before the CNC case comes back, so that if any logo modifications were needed, the final design would still be ready on time.

Even if the decision is "continue regardless", it would be good to know the issue was at least considered.

Did anyone mailed the POG chaps?

Might be a idea to ask politely if they have any problems with this, then things are most likely settled in 2 or 3 mails....

Edit: i'll send an email....

edit2: send email to Php-Object-Generator@googlegroups.com

Hello,
on the Open pandora forum there is a little Q about the similarity between the POG logo and the logo used for the Open Pandora.
There is no real source on where the actual logo came from, your seam to pre-date the appearance of the pandora logo.
Anyway, my question is if the creator of the POG logo Jonathan has any objections against the usage of the similar logo of the Pandora.
I'm just a forum member, so I really have no idea if this similarity is coincidence or not :)

Kind regards,

Oh well another 2 months while they redesign the logo now Polossatik has emailed them, just brilliant, well done Polossatik, your the man :)

puppydee said:
Oh well another 2 months while they redesign the logo now Polossatik has emailed them, just brilliant, well done Polossatik, your the man :)
Always glad to help :p

Back