Physical Screen Dimensions (mm/inch)

frooze

Still Fresh
Website
handheld.deviouscreations.net
Hi, first post.

I've spent the past hour searching google to no avail (all I get are the pixel dimensions). Can someone with a gp2x f200 pull out a ruler and measure for me the size of the screen (just the screen) in mm? I'm doing an article on screen sizes of various gadgets.

regards,
frooze

frooze said:
Hi, first post.

I've spent the past hour searching google to no avail (all I get are the pixel dimensions). Can someone with a gp2x f200 pull out a ruler and measure for me the size of the screen (just the screen) in mm? I'm doing an article on screen sizes of various gadgets.

regards,
frooze
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X#Specifications

Display: 320×240 3.5 inch, 65,536 colors TFT LCD

Last edited by a moderator:
but what is that (3.5" diagonal) in actual horizontal and vertical dimensions? My trigonometry is a little rusty from god-knows how many years back, so a ruler measurement would be a lot simpler :)

frooze said:
but what is that (3.5" diagonal) in actual horizontal and vertical dimensions? My trigonometry is a little rusty from god-knows how many years back, so a ruler measurement would be a lot simpler :)
2.8" x 2.1"

here's how it works:
triglessonwh6.jpg

Or if you want the simple way (without messing around with angles) -

The screen ratio is 4:3, and as all school kids will tell you that means we've got the special 3-4-5 triangle so there's no need to complicate things with angles. Scaling things back down we get 3.5/5=0.7, so the sides are 3*0.7 (2.1) and 4*0.7 (2.8).

It really does worry me when adults struggle to do something the average 14 year old could do in their sleep.

frooze said:
Hi, first post.

regards,
frooze
Its 71mm by 54mm :)

woogal said:
It really does worry me when adults struggle to do something the average 14 year old could do in their sleep.

I haven't needed to use trig since I left school over 11 years ago, I kind of forget stuff I haven't looked at for a decade it's similar to the auto archive function on Outlook, the info is there but neatly packed away somewhere. And considering that 14 year olds will have to deal with trig etc on an almost daily basis I think we adults can be forgiven for forgetting some of the more 'abusive to the brain' maths.

I'm sure there are things you studied at school, that you have not used for a long time and can barely remember, if indeed you are old enough to be in that situation.

even if it wasn't a 3-4-5 triangle, its still a right triangle, and our old friend pythagoras could have helped us solve the problem with no trig.

frooze: it would be cool to see a 'standard' 3.5" 240x320 (just rotate the gp2x screen sideways) PDA screen, and the nokia 770/800/810 screen (4.5" 800x480)

Sparr said:
even if it wasn't a 3-4-5 triangle, its still a right triangle, and our old friend pythagoras could have helped us solve the problem with no trig.
Forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by this... Trigonometry is the study of geometry with relation to triangles. How would you figure a geometry problem with any right angle triangle without using trigonometry?

Back