Phytium-based ARM PC

I got the newsletter from ED, totally forgot this thread. ^^ This Mini PC even made it into the german heise-news:

I still have no clue about this "Phytium D2000 ARMv8" CPU and how well it will perform. But it seems to be a good start if various Linux-Distributions support this Chip.
One Question: are these tiny fans loud? Some dB measuerements under load would be nice. everything over 40dB is bad imho.
Yes, the pc is noisy. It's not a silent one.

Man I'd like one, but I have a ton of other things going on.

It would still nice to have, i also wonder if some of the "newer" games would work (my summer car, beamng, Farming Sim 2022, GTA4, Snowrunner i would have to buy these games then) and i have a lot of Games from GOG but they arend for Linux unfortunilly,
That's what wine is for. And if it's for x64 Windows as well (which I'd expect because ARM Windows has never really been a saleable thing), that's what box64 is for.

Yes, the pc is noisy. It's not a silent one.
That's sad. So it is not really suited as an quiet office machine. They could have engineered a better cooling solution than just two tiny little fans for sure. I see some potential in improving that part, maybe a big, quiet fan over all parts instead of two tiny, loud ones or so.

Last edited:
That's sad. So it is not really suited as an quiet office machine, sadly. They could have engineered a better cooling solution than just two tiny little fans for sure. I see some potential in improving that pars, maybe a big, quiet fan over all parts instead of two tiny, loud ones or so.
I'm just beeing honest. I find it noisy, but I do like my PC to be silent. The 8 cores are powerfull but gives some heat to dissipate. same for the graphics card.
On an office with regular noise, I guess it's fine. For a quiet place, you'll hear it. At least the noise is constant.

I'm wondering how much sound comes from the CPU cooler and how much comes from the graphics card. Now I look at those photos again, I note the vanes on the CPU cooler are orthagonal to the vanes on the GPU cooler, which isn't a good idea if you're relying on a case fan, but there's no case fan here. It depends typically which way those fans wind, but assuming they wind in along the vanes and out towards the case top, the CPU should get a cold air supply but the GPU risks picking up some of the air forced back down from the case top after being ejected by the CPU cooler. Would be a simpler and more effective design if both fans were picking up air from a vent.

Reactions: rSl
Yeah, proper cooling and air flow in compact Computers is almost an art. I guess the GPU produces the most heat, the ARM CPU alone should be compared tame. Still could need a better Fan. I find it impressive what Apple was able to squeeze out of an 10W SoC, even with an powerful integrated GPU. The faster M1 Max already pulls 30W but even this should be easily cooled in such a type of mini case.
But nothing that can't be solved, imho. The concept of this Mini "PC" is good. The rest depends onto the software...and the price.

If the fans of the Phythium Fans are anoying: the Pyra is quite noise less, but therefore not that fast ^^,
I really hope this thing will made, its a cool concept for the peaple who are more professional whit linux then me,
I wonder where will it be assembled? At the Dragonbox Pyra Factory ?

I wonder where will it be assembled? At the Dragonbox Pyra Factory ?
It is made by a Chinese company, so I expect it will be assembled in China too... DragonBox is a shiop that sells this product, not a designer (for the Pyra of course it is the designer, assembler and shop)

Well, they also made the assembly for Indie Projects, Retrode, new Games for old Consoles etc, so i was thinking it makes sense, allthought its "just" a Mini PC in a Square Case and the Different is the CPU..

I wonder how fast this thing would boot, but 8 cores and SSD should be quite fast..

The Power Brick is 60 Watt, how much current would such a Mini Computer need if its dosnt be ARM?

The Pyra is 5 V 6000 mah... so 30 Watt? (If it was V x ampere)..

The Pyra battery is 3.7Vish, and I'd be surprised if the thermals of a Pyra could cope with more than about 2.5A, making the thermal limit of that system just under 10W.

Also the Pyra is just powered by 5 V USB, i ditnt though about that the current would get put down after that..
When the Pythian is really that easy to set up, i will think about it, i just have to think about a way to make a video by aiming my Phone to my TV i currently using as Monitor..

There are only Cable based Connections meantioned, what about Bluetooth and Wlan?
Dos it runs Minesweeper? And could i connect a XBOX ONE Controller?

Also the Pyra is just powered by 5 V USB, i ditnt though about that the current would get put down after that..
When the Pythian is really that easy to set up, i will think about it, i just have to think about a way to make a video by aiming my Phone to my TV i currently using as Monitor..

There are only Cable based Connections meantioned, what about Bluetooth and Wlan?
Dos it runs Minesweeper? And could i connect a XBOX ONE Controller?
There no embedded wlan / bluetooth (it's a desktop pc), but you can add a usb dongle for that if it's needed.
Yes, it does run minesweeper. The Pyra can also run Minesweeper.
Debian ARM64 Kernel seems to not be built with Joystick support. It's a bummer. I guess they just build Arm64 targetted to Server? Ubuntu based kernel do have joystick support. Armbian also have support for joystick too. So I would say: no XBox controller on Debian yet, but it may change in the future, and other OS do have support.

Minesweeper was just ironic, i have the GNU Games allready on my Pyra ^^, ok so i need some extra Hardware then..
Allthough for my few Linux Games i had, i will first try Box 86 on Pyra some time..

Back