Picking up a Killer Instinct upright tomorrow..

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Woowoo!

That is all :)

Getting rid of my beloved Omega Race to a needy friend (he just got dumped, needs a pickmeup :0), and picking up the KI... Been looking for years for one of these badasses in good shape.

(Naturally I'll have switchable boards so can run Ms Pac in there too etc)

Jeffphone :)

Post some pics once you get set up. What condition is it in?

I've actually got 2 cocktail machines and 2 upright coin-ops. Sadly, I don't have room currently for the uprights and the cocktails need some TLC. There's nothing like playing the classics as originally intended.

Chris

Hard to tell from the pics I received of it, but I'd hazard a 6 or 7 out of 10; I used to see these guys fairly frequently 10-15 years ago in the auctions, but these days very far between; hell, any upright is hard to come by now, unless its a bloody Golden Tee. Anyway, I've always wanted a KI machine.. I never liked fighting games, but that one I really really loved; played the hell out of it back in college, and its my favorite overall cabinet design (the classic Midway cabinet. same as MK and NBA Jam and so on.)

The real problem here is buddy boy way overpaid for it, and now that he's selling it, wants to make up his pain; since I happen to want it fairly bad.. probabyl my last cabinte pickup ever, I'll have to pay double what its worth... but screw it, sometimes you lose :p

Over the years, mostly before I got married, I went through probably 1000 or 1500 pcb's, and a half dozen cabs; but I sold most of those off over the years, and each move I shed some machines. Right now I've got only an Omega Race cocktail and a ... general, nearly home mae cocktail that is super awesome (I call it the Tardis, since it has sticks on all 4 sides so can play vert/horiz games equally well.) My last mach8ine, a generic converted into a sF2, I let go last move.. sigh :) Anyway, I can't take up all the house space anymore, kids and all, so I've been shedding a lot the last few years. I'm giving my Omega Race to a buddy there, to make room .. so I'll have my super cocktail, and the KI. Both great cabinets.

Long term goal, when kids grow up more, is a full size bar clearance billiards table, wet bar, arcade machines, pinball machine .. the Man Cave :) But these items are all very big, so I'll settle for two arcade cabs (plus my enormous stash of parts and pcbs .. I can probably still build about 100 games from the parts, plus a stack of Neo Geo MVS carts and A/B boards for CPS2..)

jeff

Somehow, when you're younger, you don't have the room.. but you make the room, and squeeze these puppies in; then you get older, and sheeit, so you shed them. But then, if your'e me, you say fuck it, and get some back :)

And a Picade...

My latest retro fix was getting FF1-6, where 2-6 are the original Japanese versions. I used my kazzo and retrode to dump them and found the right tools to apply translation patches.

The game inside is dead (KI uses a pcb + hard drive, and the hdd is toast); I've got spares (and other games to run in there entirely), but no time tonight to set it up; need to vacuum it out, and rewire the power supply (its a big hackjob down in there), and get a proper pic .. but here goe.s

Pretty sweet eh? :)

1208847_620412594657717_2013691314_n.jpg

Congrats!

It sucks you had to pay high market value for a machine in non working order, but with your know how, it should be an easy fix. KI was one of the last arcade games I actually played in a real arcade. Before it was released, I got to play test it in the westwood arcade near UCLA. It was rather fun getting to play early versions, and to see the improvements made over time.

It sucks it took MS so long to bring this series back, but hopefully they can do it justice. It was a very fun fighting game of the time.

Chris

yeah I can't believe MS of all companies owns the rights now .. the upcoming KI3 or whatever looks pretty sweet though. Hope they pull it off.

Yeah, paid too much, but what can you do; should be an easy fixer upper; nice big monitor in those Midway cabs .. I love that cab design, so probably the last cab I pick up. Fix this one up, and that'll be the main one, with my sweet cocktail as my backup machine.

Tomorrow night going to get it going, fix up the power etc, and fire it up; that will halt all further fixups for a few days, of course... ULTRA COMBO!

jeff

Back