Picodrive 1.80

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
PicoDrive is Megadrive / Genesis / Sega CD / Mega CD / 32X / SMS emulator, and here is it's Caanoo port.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_180.zip
(also supports GP2X F100/F200 and Wiz)

From the last Wiz version, 32X and SMS support was added. This is still incomplete (32X needs work and I lack motivation for SMS), it has been in development for more than a year now and it started taking forever because of other projects, so I figured I should release something as it reached somewhat usable state.

32X is not that playable until at least we get overclocking working with firmware update (yes it's possible to overclock on 1.0.1 but I didn't feel like implementing it knowing Wiz method will work on next firmware). For now it might help underclocking the SH2s and/or disabling PWM (will improve performance for games that dedicate one SH2 for sound, but cause missing sound effects).

This works absolutely beautifully, first impression is that the analogue stick handles games like a charm.
I love it, thank you so much for this.

Thanks, Gunstar Heroes fullspeed, without FS and with 44000 KHz Sound, amazing, your Emulator looks fantastic. The navigation in the menus is the best, I've seen so far on the Caanoo and the games play really good with the analogue stick.
Again, thanks very much.

Well done - this is fantastic!

Aside: I've just registered and this is my first post. I'm new to the GPH scene, having just picked up a Caanoo. I must say it's one of my favourite consoles ever, and am very impressed with the contributions so far. I'm a software developer for a living, so am hoping when I get time I can help contribute to the scene. Thanks to all!

SiENcE said:
Nice. I have to give it a try.

I'm working on Snes9x for Caanoo :) .
Is it your requirement for developing that you only develop for consoles that end in "oo" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a bug.
On Sonic 3 & Knuckles, after using the emulator's fast forward, jumping in/out of water seems to make the current music stop playing.
If new music is triggered (drowning, etc), the bug goes away.

Also I have updated pre-release firmware the supports the Wiz overclocking method.
Underclocking results in low-pitched audio, overclocking results in high-pitched audio.
Thought you should know. The sound thing might be resolved in the official release, but then Mame4All hasn't got this pitch issue.

This is great for a first release. The controls are perfect on this port. Even sega cd emulation is great. First this maybe temper next?

CKeichel said:
Thanks, Gunstar Heroes fullspeed, without FS and with 44000 KHz Sound, amazing, your Emulator looks fantastic. The navigation in the menus is the best, I've seen so far on the Caanoo and the games play really good with the analogue stick.
Again, thanks very much.
Picodrive was great on the GP2X and Wiz, and still is, now on the Caanoo too. Notaz is a great programmer.

RupeeClock said:
There seems to be a bug.
On Sonic 3 & Knuckles, after using the emulator's fast forward, jumping in/out of water seems to make the current music stop playing.
If new music is triggered (drowning, etc), the bug goes away.
From what I remember it is possible to bug out music on the real hardware using water, but I'll check.

RupeeClock said:
Also I have updated pre-release firmware the supports the Wiz overclocking method.
Underclocking results in low-pitched audio, overclocking results in high-pitched audio.
Thought you should know. The sound thing might be resolved in the official release, but then Mame4All hasn't got this pitch issue.
Hm I can see why this happens, easy fix, will update after more bug reports come. For now try changing sound rate 22050/44100 and it should work again.

Great to see the genesis/megadrive hit the shores of caanoo land :D

thanks so much , away to test it!

paul3100

qbertaddict said:
This is great for a first release. The controls are perfect on this port. Even sega cd emulation is great. First this maybe temper next?

I second the Temper idea. I love PCE games.

thanks, finally we have an excellent emulator with lot of cool games!

the only problem I found is that Test Drive 2 doesn't work correctly, the sprites of other cars are invisible (only in the rearview mirror). is there any trick in options to fix this ?

Great release, notaz. How is Caanoo compatibility technically solved?

what file types are 32x roms 7z or zip or must be unzipped on this emulater

Great job, notaz. Almost can i play to starwars 32x...only needs some extra frames.. :)

Back