Picodrive Help

pawn takes the king

Still Fresh
Ok so I was trying to load Mortal Kombat 2 32X with Picodrive 1.80.

I know these game do not run perfectly so I upped the overclock to 900. Game crashed, had to reboot handheld. Took the overclock down to about 675 now NOTHING WORKS.

Every single ROM I try to load freezes up the Caanoo & I have to reboot. No SEGA logo, just a black frozen screen. Tried to restore default settings & that didn't work either. Tried my other emulators & they all work fine.

Picodrive was working fine for the 2 months I've had my Caanoo & I played through Sonic CD, played a little Doom 32X, as well as a plethora of Genesis games so I know everything is cool with the BIOS. I really don't know what I did that would make the entire emulator not play anything & lock up the handheld now.

What is the best average to overclock Picodrive?

I also noticed on the 32X settings it has a Master & a Slave SH2 cycle, what should they be set at?

Any info appreciated & TIA.

Maybe just delete the whole picodrive dir and reinstall it?

I don't know much about 32x but genesis games should not have to be overclocked at all .

LTStone said:
Maybe just delete the whole picodrive dir and reinstall it?

I don't know much about 32x but genesis games should not have to be overclocked at all .

Probably what I'm going to have to end up doing, just weird that everything would work, now nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
900 MHz is way too high. Mine works stable up to 750. I´ve heard some Caanoos can be overclocked to 800 MHz, but that seems to be the absolute maximum. I hope you didn´t roast your caanoo, are other programs still working?

Akabei said:
900 MHz is way too high. Mine works stable up to 750. I´ve heard some Caanoos can be overclocked to 800 MHz, but that seems to be the absolute maximum. I hope you didn´t roast your caanoo, are other programs still working?

Oh yeah everything else is working perfectly, just like I said, Picodrive is dead in the water now, even after restoring default settings to everything. I'm probably going to do as said earlier & just wipe it out & start fresh. I wont go past 750. That's more what I was asking for, what average levels usually are for overclocking.

Kinda new to Caanoos, is 750 average for most emulators?

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave the emulators on default speed and overclock only, if it´s really necessary. I guess it was the Sega Master System-Emulator, which is even getting slower, if you overclock it. The battery also lasts for about an hour less, if your Caanoo always runs at 750.

Anything more than 730 mhz usually results in unpredictable behaviour. But some caanoos are capable of going up to 750 without problems...

Some dude on here said his Caanoo was overclocked to 930!

Mine can go to about 770 and no problems yet.

Back