Picodrive Not Playing Mega Cd Mp3 Music Files?

Duddyroar

Website
www.vc-reviews.com
Sorry is this has been covered previously but I've noticed that the latest version of PicoDrive (1.56) doesn't seem to play MCD MP3 music files. They previously played fine in earlier versions of the emulator.

Anyone know why?

I had trouble with the MP3s, I had to re-encode them, here's my previous post:

Neil L said:
Neil L said:
Well done on another excellent update.
I've managed to get Sonic CD to work on this release. (I couldn't on the last one!)
Everything runs perfectly apart from the music, it won't start or it keeps cutting out. (The only way to get it to play is to pause then unpause the emulator?)
I'm using an iso and 34 mp3s. (02-35) (In one folder)
Am I doing something wrong or has anybody else had this problem?

sbock said:
Sonic CD works great for me. No problems with the sound. How are your sound files encoded? Constant bit rate MP3s at 96 or 128kbps are recommended. Important is that the files are encoded in 44.1 kHz.

Thanks for your help, I converted my MP3s from 192kpbs/44.1kHz to 128kbps/44.1kHz and everythings playing fine now.
Cheers, Neil

PS. Will there be 32X support in the next release?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
Converting MP3 files from 192 to 128 is going to sound really, -really- bad...

No it's not. I convert all my MP3s on my normal player to 128 to save space. I cannot tell the difference at all. You must need a really fined tuned ear to hear the difference, imo.

The difference between 192 and 128 is easily audible to me.

Transcoding from 192 (a lowish quality bit rate in an already lossy format) to 128 (a quite low quality bit rate in an already lossy format) will sound even worse than 128 normally.

If you can't tell the difference between any of these three then either you have issues with your hearing or you're using very low quality devices (player, headphones, etc). I'm not taking any shots at you here personally, it's just at those bitrates you should easily be able to hear the difference. I agree that at higher bit-rates you'd need good equipment and hearing to tell.

I think there's a lot of area between "can't tell the difference" and "sounds really, -really- bad"... and I think for most people 192kbps isn't "lowish." It depends a lot on what you're listening to anyway. 128kbit/s mp3s are very common and most people consider it medium quality, not "quite low." Audiophiles should understand that not everyone is as discerning as they are.

Transcoding can have a negative impact, but it's impossible to tell exactly how much of one it will have without knowing anything about the source material. But the end results probably won't be that much worse than natively 128kbit/s would have been.

We don't even know if Duddyroar is using headphones to begin with, and not simply using the Wiz's speakers.

Duddyroar said:
Sorry is this has been covered previously but I've noticed that the latest version of PicoDrive (1.56) doesn't seem to play MCD MP3 music files. They previously played fine in earlier versions of the emulator.

Anyone know why?
Working fine on my end. Maybe you accidently turned it off? Try resetting the config to defauls, or using fresh copy of emu.

Back