Release Picodrive Released

x68000 said:
Managed to get a US Sega CD game working, but no joy with the japanese ones. Ripped these all using the same method.
Well jap games weren't tested much really, but I think I have tried at least one. PM me some samples if you want.

NickLoTurco said:
Any idea when Master System will be on board Notaz? I haven't played Shinobi for AGES! I miss that music. Also miss Outrun, Afterburner, Hang On and Quartet. Classic MS games.
ED keeps bugging me with firmware/sound work, can't do much of anything else.

jumpman said:
Maybe someone can suggest there settings for these games, and maybe I can get them working again. But they are the same files I have used forever, and they both have worked in the past. Interesting? :huh:
It's because I can't get the timing right for everything without killing performance, when I tweak one set of games some others break because of the change. I have some ideas how to resolve it, but that needs time and firmware work is more important as it affects everyone, not only PD users.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
It's because I can't get the timing right for everything without killing performance, when I tweak one set of games some others break because of the change. I have some ideas how to resolve it, but that needs time and firmware work is more important as it affects everyone, not only PD users.

and I for one appreciate all you hard work!
Thanks for all the great software / firmware your working on. :)

notaz said:

That sounds great notaz. I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I'm sure you'll solve the problem in time, as you are one of the best out there. I'm looking forward to 32x support as well. I never played any of those games, so they are all new to me. Please keep up the good work.

Chris

Thanks for the continued support Notaz! Great to know that the FW is in very safe hands :)

Have ripped a few more US games and they are all working great, pretty sure that my problem lies with the japanese bios - will hunt around for a few more and experiment further.

x68000 said:
Thanks for the continued support Notaz! Great to know that the FW is in very safe hands :)

Have ripped a few more US games and they are all working great, pretty sure that my problem lies with the japanese bios - will hunt around for a few more and experiment further.
I doubt it is the rip. My Sonic CD Japan version hangs at the Sega logo.

The US version works.

notaz said:
ED keeps bugging me with firmware/sound work, can't do much of anything else.

Oooh, you make me look like an evil tyrant... sounds cool :D

Thanks a lot for your work - and I guess all the users with sound problems appreciate your work on sound, too ;)

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to using this on my Pandora when I get it (I try to play Sonic 1 on anything new I get). I was just wondering if James Pond 3 is still not working because I've wanted to play that on a portable for a very long time :lol:

James Pond III is working for me but the sound cuts out from time to time.

I just got this in my RSSs :
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100620104657572/MegaDrive.html

they missed the best of all : picodrive :(

DaveC said:
x68000 said:

I doubt it is the rip. My Sonic CD Japan version hangs at the Sega logo.

The US version works.
Only just had the time to rip a few Japanese Mega CD titles and none work, tried some pre ripped iso's too and they had the same result.

Sega CD titles worked fine.

Not that I can think of anything to improve PicoDrive but are you planning on releasing an update, Notaz?

jonlad1 said:
Not that I can think of anything to improve PicoDrive but are you planning on releasing an update, Notaz?

Well, it would obviously be improved by adding support for new systems. ;P Picodrive is one of the most well polished emulators I've used in a long time. I love it, Notaz. ;) I'm looking forward to when you release a Pandora version with 32X support.

EDIT: Oh, one thing, tho'. When I had OC'ed to 750 MHz to play some Mario64 on Mupen64plus, I then tried to play Picodrive after that without underclocking. It ran fine and I loaded up the game: Sonic 2: Aluminum Edition (http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2:_Aluminum_Edition) That ran fine until I finally chose 1 player and started the game. As the first level started out, the graphics were jumping around everywhere. I tried reloading the rom and got the same effect. I then exited the emu, underclocked, started the emu back up and loaded the game again and it worked fine. Just thought I'd let you know, I don't know what it is, but I assume there must be a bug in there somewhere. :\ I can try to do some more intensive testing later this week.

-God Ginrai

jonlad1 said:
Yeah I've started working on that, but been spending most pandora time working on firmware.

God Ginrai said:
When I had OC'ed to 750 MHz to play some Mario64 on Mupen64plus, I then tried to play Picodrive after that without underclocking. It ran fine and I loaded up the game: Sonic 2: Aluminum Edition (http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2:_Aluminum_Edition) That ran fine until I finally chose 1 player and started the game. As the first level started out, the graphics were jumping around everywhere.
It could be a bug in that hack itself, does it work on the real hardware?

notaz said:
God Ginrai said:
When I had OC'ed to 750 MHz to play some Mario64 on Mupen64plus, I then tried to play Picodrive after that without underclocking. It ran fine and I loaded up the game: Sonic 2: Aluminum Edition (http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2:_Aluminum_Edition) That ran fine until I finally chose 1 player and started the game. As the first level started out, the graphics were jumping around everywhere.
It could be a bug in that hack itself, does it work on the real hardware?

I don't have the tools to test whether it works on real hardware or not. :\ But it works fine in your emulator at 500 MHz, and I believe 600 MHz as well.

-God Ginrai

^ I've noticed something similar in UAE4All (which also utilizes Cyclone). At 550 MHz the game Mr Nutz runs fullspeed without frameskip. At 600 MHz it's not as smooth. And at 750 MHz the sound becomes terribly stuttery.

Could it be Cyclone runs better at certain specific clock-rates?

Back