Pinball Dreams VS. Devils Crush

VirtuaLeech

I recently bought Pinball Dreams from JoyGP. Although it is a nice pinball game I think the seminal Devils Crush on the PCEngine (playable on GPEngine) still holds the console pinball crown.

Anyone agrees /disagrees?

I think I prefer Pinball Dreams. Both are different though. PD aims for realism whereas DC aims for a fantasy aspect. So PD has the better physics but DC has um, monsters. :D Plenty of room for both on a SMC though. :)

I prefer pinball dreams - cos it's got scrolling! That was the thing that bothered me about Devils Crush - that it flipped screens when you got to the top of the screen. Didn't like that!

Yeah devilman you're right about the two games taking a different approach. Axeman I am not quite sure what you mean since Devils Crush also has a scrolling playing field, maybe you refer to the fact that there are three playing fields?

My main problem with Pinball Dreams is that I miss all the extra bonus stages, or am I just not good enough to reach them.

Axeman is confusing Devil's Crush with Alien Crush. Alien Crush is older, yet similar in some ways, but it doesn't scroll, it flips screens when you enter sections of the field. Which means maybe he's not familiar with the great Devil's Crush, the best pinball videogame ever IMO! Try it now!

eHEM! the best pinball game is definatly revenge of the gator on the GB....havent tried it in GPVGB though....ill have to try later.

TFC

Revenge of the Gator VS. Devil's Crush?!

NO CONTEST!

Devil's Crush is unbeatable. The music alone makes the game a classic. When I get my GP32 in a few days, it's one of the 1st games I plan to play.

VirtuaLeech posted on Apr 27 2003 said:
My main problem with Pinball Dreams is that I miss all the extra bonus stages, or am I just not good enough to reach them.

There are no bonus stages I'm afraid... very traditional game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say that I've never seen two pinball games that are so different!

Both are great (I've tried Devils Crush now) in their different ways. Thanks God for big SMCs eh?

:D

Agree with Axeman

PD and Devils Crush (which I have only just discovered and been playing for the last hour) are both excellent in there own ways.

PD is more like a Pinball Simulator and DC is an Arcade game based on Pinball.

Both are superb and must have games, and even with those two on the GP32 there is still room on the SMC for ............. (Fill in blanks yourself)

Wow the gp32 just gets better and better

MrT

Always nice to see that although you have the emulator installed there are always some great games you (in this case Axeman, MrT) don't know about.

So does anybody knows about some other (great) pinball game that I might be missing and that should work on one of the GP32 emulators?

Kirby's Pinball on GameBoy is nice.
Works. Pinball - Revenge of the Gator works also :)

Oh, and Sonic Spinball on Game Gear is also a nice game (but I'll stick for the Genesis version, as soon as the emulator is out :)

Uhm... sorry for being so ignorant...

But this weekend, just before seeing this post here, I checked out Devil's Crush
and found it quite cool because of all the extras and monsters and stuff.

I have to admit that I never played the full version of Pinball Dreams (or perhaps
just for some hours at my friend's home), but I installed the demo on my first
PC, and now I installed it again on my GP32 since there is so much "hype" about
this game on the board.

I just never really got what should be so great about this game... The tables
look just plain boring with a ramp or two and some bumpers on the side. I mean,
does it at least have multiballs?

I always liked pinball games, also the classic pinball tables, but they all offered some
unique items, like flip switches or magnet fields or plastic figures and stuff. Those of
you who ever played on a Williams table like "Monster Bash" or "Medieval Madness"
should know what I mean. These were fast, funny, you could send the ball up the ramps
for several times in a row without it just bumping against walls all the time. And you've
never had the impression, that you've seen all the table has to offer. Playing the Ignition
table of Pinball Dreams I had the impression that I've seen it after 5 minutes.

So Pinball Dreams had nice gfx and sound and the ball physics where probably
revolutionary back then, but besides the nostalgia factor, is this game really
a must have today?

Pinball Dreams is just a simple, realistic pinball game with 4 great boards that have all the bits and bobs of a real pinball table, and for what it tries to do it does superbly. No it doesnt have multiball, no it doesnt have magnetic bits and special stuff only an electronic pinball game could have, but its the most realistic pinball game around, and thats its selling point.

I love em

Pinball Fantasies (2nd in the series) offers much more on the tables, extra flippers and IMHO there far, FAR better tables than anything ever out, including the third in the series, Pinball Illusions, which did offer multiball but i just couldnt get into them like PF.

As for is it worth it... if you like a pure realistic pinball game, hell yeah its worth it, if you wanna play a pinball game that isnt quite real with warps bits bobs and blobs, then nope, it aint for u :p

Agree with absolutely everything that Bonks says, and should add that for ex-Amiga (and current :) ) owners it's worth having PD for the nostalgia factor alone. Plus it's only a few Quid/Bucks so you're supporting the scene too

MrT

Back