piracy is really just a missed opportunity...

I pay for Spotify and Netflix. Hopefully in about 10 yrs all these old people running these media companies will be dead so younger, less idiotic people can step in and realize how they no longer have the abilityneed to charge $20 for a DVD
Fixed that for ya. :p They will always have the ability to charge $20. Heck, they could charge $200 if they really wanted to, that's one of the tenets of capitalism: charge whatever you want.

One day someone's going to realize that they don't need to make 200% profit per DVD sale if they can cut the price in half and sell 5 times as many. Or that traditional delivery mechanisms are no longer the only way to get content and there's money to be made in diversifying. Or some future thing that even we're not thinking of right now.

It might not be a coincidence that “Game of Thrones” is the most pirated TV-show.
The main reason why many people here do not buy the german BDs of GoT is,

that they are so heavily polluted with copy protection, that they do not work on PCs and many BD-Players.

They should not complain about piracy if they punish their customers.

“Certainly there’s some torrenting that goes on, and that’s true around the world, but some of that just creates the demand,” Hastings says.
Very true and without all these fansubs, many anime series would never have been licensed in Germany at all.

Sadly, the quality of the fansubs is still better than the later official licensed version in translation AND picture quality,

partly because they still do not come on BD here. -.-

I still remember the times, when everyone pirated tapes (video and audio).

The industry did not complain that massive back then, it seems they just need a scapegoat for their self inflicted business issues,

which are not as big as they say, because these companys are still led by very rich men which rather want to buy another house than

paying their workers better anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might not be a coincidence that “Game of Thrones” is the most pirated TV-show.
The main reason why many people here do not buy the german BDs of GoT is,

that they are so heavily polluted with copy protection, that they do not work on PCs and many BD-Players.

They should not complain about piracy if they punish their customers.

“Certainly there’s some torrenting that goes on, and that’s true around the world, but some of that just creates the demand,” Hastings says.
Very true and without all these fansubs, many anime series would never have been licensed in Germany at all.

Sadly, the quality of the fansubs is still better than the later official licensed version in translation AND picture quality,

partly because they still do not come on BD here. -.-

I still remember the times, when everyone pirated tapes (video and audio).

The industry did not complain that massive back then, it seems they just need a scapegoat for their self inflicted business issues,

which are not as big as they say, because these companys are still led by very rich men which rather want to buy another house than

paying their workers better anyway.
idk, I wasn't alive and I still hear alot of references to the kerfuffle surrounding vcr and television.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18513_5-insane-file-sharing-panics-from-before-internet.html

Heh, I remember when they got a bit steamed up about VCRs alright, but they were less worried about copying pre-recorded movies (which could cost up to $100 in the early years, therefore not being a huge seller anyway) but they were agitated about recording TV shows. They spent a lot of time insinuating that it was 'illegal' but clearly couldn't do anything about it. They wanted all kinds of taxes on blank media (audio and video) to 'compensate' the industry for the 'loss', even when they weren't selling copies of the material being recorded.

Remember Napster?..one of the first with the piracy issues.

Last edited:
I remember when KaTe where about to release "The Red Shoes", and someone in the US had managed to get their hands on a bootleg demo of "Moments of pleasure", and digitized it. My more mad than sane pal set up one of the workstations in the computer labs at the CS department to download it overnight. So, the morning after, we could listen to KaTe singing "Moments of Pleasure" in glorious 8-bit, 16khz mono .au sound. Then we had to delete it, because the quotas on the CS systems were too tight to be able to keep that around and still do the course work. Ah, well...*old*

Those old guts are charging things for 20 bucks can be linked to how inefficient movies (games) are being made these days.

All of the AAA titles and blockbuster movies are basically made using a money eating machine, rather than human beings that have souls.

Unique stories and carefully thought out innovations are nearly extinct in today's entertainment industry.

This is partially due to how tasteless most people are. If people are satisfied from explosions, pointless love dramas, colourful but shallow stories; then that's what will be mass produced and will become the standard of decency.

Unique stories and carefully thought out innovations are nearly extinct in today's entertainment industry.
Luckily, this Industry is not everything and there is and will always be (movie-) art out there,

even from the US (although not much anymore due to obvious capitalistic reasons).

It was always hard to survive as a free real artist and some just can do this, because they inherited a living place and do not have to pay rent.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was always hard to survive as a free real artist and some just can do this, because they inherited a living place and do not have to pay rent.
Seeing truly unique people suffering while still try to pursue their dream saddens me greatly.

Back