Pirates! Homebrew

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Heres the shot of the week:

This is a fully functional menu/window you see here. The Start Game kicks off the What's your name window. The PICKLE was generated by clicking on the letters. The Done button simply returns you back to the start window for now.
All of the text is in a config file with flags to tell when a new line is needed or if a line is selectable.

(Since then I have made some other windows that you would find in the main menu, added a shift button to change case, a rub button to backspace a letter, i originally made this post but by mistake I put it in the news, opps!)

Right now i see as the big thing is the simulation portions. I think this is last of the major hurdles.

Hi Pickle.

I'd like to know what approach you're planning on taking to deal with the economy. I find the trading aspects of the original game to be quite absorbing, even though it appears to be based on quite a simple model. If you come across any interesting info regarding this kind of simulation during your project, I'd be interested in seeing it :)

fishybawb said:
Hi Pickle.

I'd like to know what approach you're planning on taking to deal with the economy. I find the trading aspects of the original game to be quite absorbing, even though it appears to be based on quite a simple model. If you come across any interesting info regarding this kind of simulation during your project, I'd be interested in seeing it :)
yeah ive started to think ways of doing this. The problem is I dont think there is much info out there. So at first I think it will be trial and error.

When your in nav mode it will be in it's own loop, so each loop or a number of loops will be the time. So then for example one loop = 1 day. Then say every 30 days if nothing happened to a city it condition can improve. During the month bad/good things can randomly which will effect the outcome of the month.
I dont know if there really has to be any interaction between towns and economies, maybe just something as bonus if same nation cities are near each other. Maybe some bonuses if the player trades with the town.
I see this as something I will code up and then just test it and see if it feels right.

But first, I think the next big stage is building a config file that has nations/ships/towns/map. I also think I need to get back to a editor that can mod the file. I want to make this so that the game can be have any number of nations/ships...etc.

The more I do this, im amazed how it was done on the C64.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back