Pixel Artist Wanted

Ahr ahr, I'm Atomicthumbs' brother. So you want gothic styled icons? Well, a while ago, I made a font for no apperant reason, that is only four colors. White, light grey, dark grey, and black. Lemme dig it up and see what you think.

theendfp7.png

If you agree for me to do the icons, I can just continue making things in this style.

I do some vector art, if you wanted some vector icons for the OS. But if you have your heart set on pixel art, I guess I can't help

I sent craig an email a while back but never got a response so I thought I'd post my go here.

This is the first time I've tried pixel art and it came out pretty good I think.
This first one is based loosely on the princess from illusion of time, but it's still original work. No copy pasting.
The image was absolutely tiny so here it is at 2x
pixelartsmallay7.png

and at 8x to see the detail
pixelartdi1.png

And here's my second attempt at a slightly different more blocky shading style.
alienva3.png

And at 4x
alien2fc5.png

I'd really like to work on the pandora artwork so any feedback is appreciated.

i do a lot of pixel art for interfaces and such but i have my own style which some people love, but others really hate. i'll dig up an example soon.

---
here are some examples of my particular weird style – i have done more normal (i.e. non square, gray) things, but i haven't really bothered to upload them as they are, well, not very weird

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Antgeth/mod...8/coverflow.png

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Antgeth/mod...yingscreen1.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Antgeth/mod...oskin012708.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=170330

http://adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=search&user_id=16132

so there is your gray weirdness. i like the retro look that non-anti-aliased, mostly-grayscale interfaces create. if you want something more normal looking too i could probably dig some of that up.

Esn said:
Wow, I am really impressed by some of that art on Pixeljoint!

I'd recommend looking at their Hall of Fame and seeing if any of those people are interested.

I especially like the ones by buloght:

winter1.gif

adventureroom.gif

thejourney2.gif

Wow, impressive. I hope, some of these Talents also do Games. If someone could win these People for the Pandora, interesting things could happen. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Wow, impressive. I hope, some of these Talents also do Games. If someone could win these People for the Pandora, interesting things could happen. :)
I think buloght is working on a Monkey-Island-like adventure game of some sort.

Also, this guy called "Fool" has some amazing pixel art, but I think the game he was working on was cancelled...

shoe.gif

22.gif

Yeah, it would be amazing to have some of these people do something that would run on the Pandora. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there were still people around who were that good at pixel art...

Esn said:
I think buloght is working on a Monkey-Island-like adventure game of some sort.

Also, this guy called "Fool" has some amazing pixel art, but I think the game he was working on was cancelled...

shoe.gif

22.gif

Yeah, it would be amazing to have some of these people do something that would run on the Pandora. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there were still people around who were that good at pixel art...

This looks too good. :D Could be scanned and then pixelated but I need a "making of" for this kind of pix to have a clue how they make this. :)
Yes, all these Talents from this site need to know about the Pandora. I'm sure they are full of Ideas what they could do on a High End Open Source handheld. ^_^

fusion_power said:
This looks too good. :D Could be scanned and then pixelated but I need a "making of" for this kind of pix to have a clue how they make this. :)

Actually, if you look through some of the art and their descriptions, a lot of the artists have "making of" videos.
Here's buloght's WIP animation for the mammoth:
winterwipbt7.gif

Here's the one for the dragon by Fool:
http://www.foolstown.com/pix/progr/dranim.htm

And some more WIP animations by Fool:
Rider, woodoo, Can't touch this
Roadkill Market Vol. 2
Honey, I'm Home

Gits.

How the hell do people manage to draw like this? It's *really* annoying. You see a programmer, you think "well, yeah, he's probably spent a few years learning how to do X and most of what he does is done by rote and eventually anyone could learn how to program somewhere near that good, maybe without the natural talent a pro might have spotting things, but good enough". You see an artist and you just think... unprintable things.

I can't even get a simple sketch to resemble the thing I'm supposed to be sketching. I can picture in my head exactly how a sketch/picture of, say, a vase or something should look, and what the colours could be, and how the strokes would align etc. and then I get my pencil out and end up with something that looks more like a cow herding snakes.

Even if I took the first frame of that animation (the outline sketch) and tried to shade it manually, I wouldn't get anywhere near that - not even vaguely close. I could spent half my life in photoshop trying to get similar effects using all the fancy plugins and still not beat how that picture looks.

How do pixel artists do this? Do they paint literally pixel by pixel? Do they use strokes from a graphics tablet? How do they spot what colour things are supposed to be? How do they know when to go over the lines and change them slightly mid-drawing? How do they get a few random white streaks to turn into a mammoth's fur on his leg?

Gits, the lot of them. They should be rounded up and forced to use Crayola's and Etch-a-Sketches. Although even then, they'd probably come up with something fantastic.

ledow said:
Gits.
I can't even get a simple sketch to resemble the thing I'm supposed to be sketching. I can picture in my head exactly how a sketch/picture of, say, a vase or something should look, and what the colours could be, and how the strokes would align etc. and then I get my pencil out and end up with something that looks more like a cow herding snakes.

:lol: Nice post.

I think I have discovered your problem - you're trying to draw vases. Vases!! Some game that's gonna be. ;)

ledow said:
Gits.

How the hell do people manage to draw like this? It's *really* annoying. You see a programmer, you think "well, yeah, he's probably spent a few years learning how to do X and most of what he does is done by rote and eventually anyone could learn how to program somewhere near that good, maybe without the natural talent a pro might have spotting things, but good enough". You see an artist and you just think... unprintable things.

Even if I took the first frame of that animation (the outline sketch) and tried to shade it manually, I wouldn't get anywhere near that - not even vaguely close. I could spent half my life in photoshop trying to get similar effects using all the fancy plugins and still not beat how that picture looks.

How do pixel artists do this? Do they paint literally pixel by pixel? Do they use strokes from a graphics tablet? How do they spot what colour things are supposed to be? How do they know when to go over the lines and change them slightly mid-drawing? How do they get a few random white streaks to turn into a mammoth's fur on his leg?

Gits, the lot of them. They should be rounded up and forced to use Crayola's and Etch-a-Sketches. Although even then, they'd probably come up with something fantastic.
Same way you get to Carnegie hall, practice, practice, practice. Spend at least an hour a day sketching and you'll get a feel for it. They are supposed to be whatever colour is in your mind. Visualize then realize. Being able to get your hand to do what's needed to reflect what's in your mind is the trick, just have to keep experimenting.
One of the first things you learn in art is that nobody is going to know if you used a piece of string, a ruler, a laser or a leafblower to get that effect so go nuts and cheat like hell.
I like a really, really good mouse with variable rate like the logitech G5.

Hey if you put a ball and a string on that vase...

Back