Pixel Plague

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Right, I just noticed that I'm getting pixel plague on my Wiz. Basically black dots randomly around the screen, they're supposed to get worse quite quickly? What have the people who've had this before done? Send it to GPH's service center in Germany?

How much did it cost and what's the contact address? This might however be a good opportunity to pick up a Caanoo.

I've heard this basically the death of the OLED screen, literally, the organic components are dying.
I heard it naturally happens after 5 or so years but that can't be the case, with the Wiz only being so old.
I've also heard it happens when there's a compromise somewhere, maybe a tiny crack in the corner of the screen you can't see without disassembling the system.

Sorry, I don't think I helped at all there. :p
The Caanoo is right around the corner, it might do good to wait a while and see how it turns out in terms of software support.
I don't know how much it would cost, but OLED screens are supposed to be very expensive components, so you might pay a consideration portion of the Wiz's retail price.

Yep, contacting the After Sales center is probably the best thing you can do here.

klikklak said:
Right, I just noticed that I'm getting pixel plague on my Wiz. Basically black dots randomly around the screen, they're supposed to get worse quite quickly? What have the people who've had this before done? Send it to GPH's service center in Germany?

How much did it cost and what's the contact address? This might however be a good opportunity to pick up a Caanoo.

I think this is why the Caanoo does not have an OLED screen - they fail even sooner than expected. I remember DaveC was saying the life could be as low as 2-3 years, but it seems for some of them it's even less. I don't think this tech is ready for the mainstream yet, it would be a shame if all Wiz consoles were dead in 3 years due to the screen failing while the GP32 is still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
RupeeClock, yeah, I guess there's no point in paying 100€ to repair a 140€ device. I'll fish out the After Sales Centers address and ask for a estimate on the cost.

Craigix, the amount of problems with the screen has been surprising. Well, I know that I dismissed it as something that happens to other people. Until it happened to me. :) At least there's tv-out now, so maybe it can be used for something else then portable gaming.

craigix said:
I think this is why the Caanoo does not have an OLED screen - they fail even sooner than expected. I remember DaveC was saying the life could be as low as 2-3 years, but it seems for some of them it's even less. I don't think this tech is ready for the mainstream yet, it would be a shame if all Wiz consoles were dead in 3 years due to the screen failing while the GP32 is still alive.

The OLED screen itself was a part of why the Wiz system was so small, being a very expensive component, they couldn't afford a larger screen like the F200 or Caanoo have.
I think OLED screens are popular in some mobile phones where an expected lifetime is about 1-2 years before being replaced, and low power-consumption is a concern.

All of this makes me wonder if it's at all possible to install a regular LCD screen on a Wiz, but then it'd also have to be a working touchscreen of some kind, so that would make it pretty hard to do as a user.

craigix said:
I don't think this tech is ready for the mainstream yet, it would be a shame if all Wiz consoles were dead in 3 years due to the screen failing while the GP32 is still alive.

It is entirely possible that the GP32 units will outlive the Wiz units if their OLED displays are so short lived.

The cost to replace the OLED screen is 80 Euros + shipping costs. I contacted the aftersales when I broke my screen and asked whether I could purchase a screen, but they don't do that, you must send the unit to them. I ended up buying a new unit.

Pixel plague is part of the warranty. I'm pretty sure if you're in warranty, they'll fix it for the cost of posting it to them.

Strangely enough my wiz has had a crack down the entire screen and it's taken about a year for these symptoms to show up. Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment, so my wiz is going to die a slow, painful death.

My wiz's Screen is still fine for over a year, was it coz some had faulty oled screens or is it the type for screen they used?

Davy_B said:
My wiz's Screen is still fine for over a year, was it coz some had faulty oled screens or is it the type for screen they used?

It's the Achilles heel of the OLED screen so to speak, the "Organic Light Emitting Diode" screen uses organic, living components.
If the screen's air-tight enclosure is slightly damaged, the entire thing is compromised, and the organic components gradually decay and die.

RupeeClock said:
Davy_B said:

It's the Achilles heel of the OLED screen so to speak, the "Organic Light Emitting Diode" screen uses organic, living components.
If the screen's air-tight enclosure is slightly damaged, the entire thing is compromised, and the organic components gradually decay and die.

Ah i see now, Thanks.

klikklak said:
nova, thanks for clarifying that. I am under warranty, since I bought mine from adictron in Spain.

In that case, contact Adictron first, as they may be able to send you a replacement. Since then they'll just send the dud unit back to GPH and get the money back for it.

I had the same problem with my screen but GPH replaced it and gave me one year to the warranty.

I think the Wiz has the best looking screen in handheld history. The contrast and colors are really amazing... When i first heard that the caanoo will use a LCD i was very disappointed, but at least i'm glad because the screen of the caanoo is larger and i don't have to be afraid that it won't work in a few years anymore.

RupeeClock said:
Davy_B said:

Woah!

OLEDs are not "alive"!

"Organic" means "carbon-based", not "living". So technically, nothing dies here. You may be correct about the decaying, however. Hmm. A living display, with a circulation system to supply nutrients, I take it? :p

D.

Yes, the components that make up the OLED display are organic in their chemical nature but they are not really alive in any sense of the word. I don't think Dunny coming across as aggressively as he did in his correction of this fact was strictly necessary however :p.

crosspoint said:
I think the Wiz has the best looking screen in handheld history. The contrast and colors are really amazing... When i first heard that the caanoo will use a LCD i was very disappointed, but at least i'm glad because the screen of the caanoo is larger and i don't have to be afraid that it won't work in a few years anymore.
Yeah, OLED screens look amazing, the black level is unbeatable because it's literally black, unlit!
But I'd gladly trade it for a larger screen any day I'm afraid, OLED contributed to the Wiz being so small which I regret to be honest.

Dunny said:
Woah!

OLEDs are not "alive"!

"Organic" means "carbon-based", not "living".

Huh, here I thought organic meant alive.

craigix said:
I just thought that it would last 2-3 years due to screen burn if you used it every day. I never thought they would just go bad for no reason. It must be due to GPH using the cheapest screens on the planet they could find at a Chinese street vendor. Other OLED devices don't get pixel plague from what I know. I never heard of the ZuneHD getting pixel plague.

RupeeClock said:
Huh, here I thought organic meant alive.

You mean you guys aren't feeding your screens? That is why they are dying :p Well maybe you can grow a new one, just get some OLED screen seeds from GPH.

As Peter said "organic" just refers to a molecule containing carbon. The organic material in these screens mostly resembles a plastic.

Back