Pixeler/spriter Looking For Homebrew Project

Pixitu

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I like to pixel as a hobby and I'd like to showcase some of my work in case there are any interesting and promising homebrew projects out there looking for a graphics guy.

Pixitu's Pixels

(If you like to see other stuff beyond pixels, just check the main site - http://www.electric-zombie.com.)

Feel free to drop me a mail at said address.
General feedback is very welcome too, of course!

[Update]: Advance Wars time!

units2.png

[Update 2]: Bawls.

balls.png

I have a game that's pretty much ready-to-go created with Novashell. If that system gets ported (and it's looking semi-hopeful that it will! :D) then I could certainly do with some graphica :)

I have an advance wars clone made in fenix that only requires a bit more work to get a 2 player (same console) version working. My current sprites are naff though as i was concentrating on getting the code done. I'll hopefully be finishing the code off after my uni exams (i.e over summer, late june - sept). Id be more than greatful for some sprites if your interested.

One downside is that I made the game in fenix for the gp2x, it won't be for the pandora unless someone ports fenix...even then it'll take a little more work to change the resolution etc to fit the pandora. Not a great deal of work in the code, but i don't know if fenix supports 800x480 modes... ;)

Anyway im getting off topic, if your interested let me know and ill give you some more details

Guber

Hi!

Wow! You've got some nice stuff on you website!

I have got several games (or rather game prototypes) lying around on my harddisc that would benefit from good sprites / tiles.

The one that (in my oppinion) would be great for the Pandora is a game that works much like the old Lucas arts games "Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures" and "Yoda Stories". The idea is to create a game that randomly generates stories that take place on a sunny, 50ies style Hawaiian island with lot's of Tiki gods, luaus, cocktails, etc. If you PM me your email adress, I'll gladly send you my prototype (as a MS Windows binary). I don't want to release it publicly yet as it still uses quite a number of sprites from the original Lucasarts games...

Then there's my BallGame which I plan to improve, extend and port to the Pandora.

And I've got a jump'n'run game in the works, which has been playable for quite a while now but desperately needs some better sprites and tiles.

of course, all games (incl. all graphics) would be released under the GPL license.

just let me know, if you're interested. :)

RomanH

This post is intended to bump the thread up a bit. If anyone has a nice, running project, I'm still available for any shenanigans.

Here's a mockup of a project I'm currently doing with my neighbor above. :)

mockup_1.png

It's not half finished, but you can kinda feel what it's about.
Of course, there's a lot yet to come. *anxious*

Looks good, As I said in my previous post, I have an advance wars type game which is in the late stages of programming but in need of some nice sprites. At the moment it's only for the gp2x, but once the pandora is released and fenix is ported all thats required is for me to change the resolution (and variables corresponding to the screens size) and it should work fine.

Unfortunatly I have university exams coming up and so am busy revising and doing exams until the 14th June. So I wouldn't be able to give you many details/keep in touch during the work etc until i finish uni. Once ive finished though ill be devoting much more time to finishing the game.

Let me know if you interested.

Hi,

I love Advance Wars and I'd certainly like to work on a comparable title.

Do you have a playable version or a running build I could see? I use Windows btw.
It's just that as I wrote in my post, I'd like to join projects with the actual possibility of being released. For that, it's important to see something already in action.

The time issue is no problem at all - I work full time, so don't expect a finished game in two days :)

If you like and if the possibility is given, you can send me a build (I'll write you a PM).
I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff :D

Thanks!

Geuben said:
Looks good, As I said in my previous post, I have an advance wars type game which is in the late stages of programming but in need of some nice sprites. At the moment it's only for the gp2x, but once the pandora is released and fenix is ported all thats required is for me to change the resolution (and variables corresponding to the screens size) and it should work fine.

Unfortunatly I have university exams coming up and so am busy revising and doing exams until the 14th June. So I wouldn't be able to give you many details/keep in touch during the work etc until i finish uni. Once ive finished though ill be devoting much more time to finishing the game.

Let me know if you interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advance Wars? Always Great! :D If it is nearly as complex like the superb GBA Versions (played it months over months) I will instantly play it. It's always good when a coder meets a Pixeler. :)
The good thing is, Advance Wars never needed huge and complex graphics to make fun. Every Pixel Graphic was simple but useful and clear. Incedible, what you can do with 16x16 Pixels per tile. ^_^

GOOD LUCK! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I've sent Pixitu the lastest version of it to see what he thinks.

It still needs a fair bit of work, but the way ive programmed the foundations make it easy to add everything in, like units, terrain etc etc.

The main challenge will be implementing AI, i have a few ideas how to make a basic AI, but am still thinking of how to improve it. I'll be devoting a lot of time once i finish uni to finishing this game.

Although it plays very similarly to Advance Wars (ive based it on the original GBA one) i don't want to copy the story/graphics....im still undecided on a story and general look of the game. Hopefully if Pixitu decides to come on board we can come up with a good idea.

I started programming it for the gp2x but i hope that i can get it running on the pandora too, that won't be hard on my part. I just need someone to port fenix to the pandora.

anyway, ill make a probably make a thread on it when im a bit closer to finishing. Sorry to steal your thread a little Pixitu.

Yes, a little bit OT but just a little bit. ^_^

A Tip from me for the AI: While playing Advance Wars 1+2 to death I noticed how incredible stupid the AI was. Fine and very challenging for playing missions (all the advantage and Power of the AI was nothing than just a unfair balanced Map layout against the Players) but on vs. Maps, the AI was not good, especialy when playing in team with a AI.
To test your AI, just let one AI fight against another AI and watch what they do. So you can easily analyze and improve the code I think. I often watched AI vs. AI ind AW2 and sometimes it was really funny how bad they fight on a fair map with equal Units and equal starting variables. Sometimes pure Kamikaze and Suicide tactics. :D

A bit too earlier to make a thread about my game at the moment. I'll wait till ive got a bit more done and can take some omre impressive screen shots. Pixitu sent some sprites that he knocked up after seeing my demo, very impressive!

Im debating wether to release the game with no AI and then working on the AI afterwards or holding off till AI is done.

1.) The project - After Geuben sent me the fixed version (had some crashes on No. 1), I noticed a crapload of more graphics already implemented in the game - I hadn't seen those, Geuben! If you want to be a little patient, I'll try to add some more things, like maybe battle graphics too, or at least a nice "Player X" splash. I find the thing with the color palette a bit complicating, so this might take me a while, but stay tuned :D

2.) The massive thread derailment (i.e. KI) - IMO it's not that important to build a great KI. As has been said, the AW KI is really dumb, but the creators balanced this perfectly by putting the level design against you and having the opponent totally outnumber you. In my opinion, a basic KI would already be good. When you decide you can't/don't want to go on, then draw the line and let the level design handle the rest.
The most important thing IMO is eliminating all the exploits (easy APC baiting in AW1, remember?), the rest is frills.

Yeah sorry about that first version :p . I realised after id sent you the fixed one that you wouldn't have seen the fighting parts and so problably didn't know id got that far. There really is no rush at all on the sprites, in fact take all the time in the world as I have exams till the 10th of june and this is really distracting me from my revision :) . Since sending you the game ive actually noticed a few minor bugs i didnt already know about so am trying to fix them at the moment.

About the colour pallette..im a bit confused as to why what i tried didnt work. basically i put the spites in an fpg file to be used in the game, and when i import them into the fpg file the colours change slightly as the fpg program is assigning a different pallette to the fpg than the one u used to paint the images. what program are u using to make the sprites? perhaps that will let me export the 8bit pallette i need.

PIXITU

Well I am founder of PC [WIN ,LINUX] / ATARI [8bit ,32bit] / NINTENDO [GBA ,N64] democrew.
So You can cooperate :D in some game/musicdisks/pixelart!!!

tinctu/renderion team
contact me via message here...

Pixitu said:
1.) The project - After Geuben sent me the fixed version (had some crashes on No. 1), I noticed a crapload of more graphics already implemented in the game - I hadn't seen those, Geuben! If you want to be a little patient, I'll try to add some more things, like maybe battle graphics too, or at least a nice "Player X" splash. I find the thing with the color palette a bit complicating, so this might take me a while, but stay tuned :D

2.) The massive thread derailment (i.e. KI) - IMO it's not that important to build a great KI. As has been said, the AW KI is really dumb, but the creators balanced this perfectly by putting the level design against you and having the opponent totally outnumber you. In my opinion, a basic KI would already be good. When you decide you can't/don't want to go on, then draw the line and let the level design handle the rest.
The most important thing IMO is eliminating all the exploits (easy APC baiting in AW1, remember?), the rest is frills.
KI - Künstliche Intelligenz oder doch ehr AI - Artificial intelligence? ;)

I hope the Coder will say "AI is fun to code I make the best strategy AI in the World" :D Yes, you can do many things with the Level Design and Balancing to hide the fact, that the Computer is not nearly as clever as the Player. But since I play AW I wonder, how this game would rock, if the Computer AI's are as clever as me (more or less :lol: ) If someone need hints what can be improved compared to Advance Wars AI, I could tell you funny storys about. ;)

Oh, and can I see some ART here or Screenshots from the game? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back