Planeshift

lizard808uk

Child of the 80s
Website
Visit site
Has anyone played this? Link is @ Planeshift

Its on sourceforge, and is continually updated. Also theres 30,000 people playing and theres no subscription. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying it out (didnt really like Pristontale, there wasnt enough people about in it at the time I played).

With World of Warcraft, I dont like the idea of paying £130 for the game and a years subscription to it. I might as well get an xbox. Also if you cancel your subscription, Blizzard can delete your character (so the FAQ site says here).

finty101 posted on Feb 23 2005 at 07:10 PM said:
Oh, the way you phrased it it sounded like £130 for the game and then the subscription.
The price isn't such a big deal if you play an hour or more a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Planeshift is laughable at its current state. I played a beta a month or so ago that didn't have combat in it. Even if they've added it, the world is small and nothing is anything like near completion.

It's pretty neat, but comparing it to WoW is just silly. And I play WoW an average of four hours a day, and will probably not last a year, so ~£50 for 4 months of play is pretty good in my book.

Rico posted on Feb 24 2005 at 02:38 AM said:
Planeshift is laughable at its current state. I played a beta a month or so ago that didn't have combat in it.
That must have been fun
:rolleyes:

LHC: Yeah, I walked around a bit then realised that was all there was to it. Other people were using the /dice command to simulate combat but it wasn't quite the same :)

Delsabre: It's probably more now. I have lectures 9-12 on average, so from 12 until about 7 I don't have much to do. WoW saved me from my Stepmania addiction by introducing a more expensive addiction in its stead!

i have an intensive (realtively) real life so i could only play once a week about 3 hours long... so WoW is sadly a no-no to me..

lizard808uk posted on Feb 23 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
With World of Warcraft, I dont like the idea of paying £130 for the game and a years subscription to it. I might as well get an xbox. Also if you cancel your subscription, Blizzard can delete your character (so the FAQ site says here).

I really can't understand why people moan about a subscription game.

I'll try to reason things out here.

1. The game is 30 quid. Less if you look around.

2. You get a month online free.

3. You can easily get more gameplay from that one month than Halflife 2 and Doom 3 combined.

4. If you decide not to play anymore you've still had fun.

5. If like most people you decide you like the game a huge amount almost to the exclusion of all other games then 8 quid for each month is not a lot to ask.

If like for example Rico you play 28 hours a week and believe me thats not a lot for WoW you will still need months to see all the games content. The monthly fee pays for servers and staff to run the game not to mention the new content.

PS Buy the xbox and WoW and I tell you what. The xbox will be gathering dust in the corner of the room.

The whole subscription thing scares people off but after the initial overhead, you're essentially paying £7 for a month's worth of play. It's a very good deal (although an expansion pack is coming soon, and that'll complicate things)

I'm loving WoW so far. I think Blizzard are going to get their moneys worth from me as I've only just got to level 21 and I've had it since Feb 12th! I'm totally addicted to WoW and can still see myself playing it a year from now (and I still probably won't have a clue what I'm doing!!). Great stuff.

back to planeshift : the download DOES NOT WORK for me )))=
any tips? is there the possibility to get it w/ a peer2peer program?

EDIT: okay, just started working 0_o strange

The problem I have with WoW aside from the subscription thing (which I'm over now) is the fact that if you cancel your subscription for a month and decide to rejoin at a later date, they have the right to delete your character. Its like in Eternal Darkness, when you get your memory card "formatted", except the joke here is you would actually lose your character, items etc..

oh yeh, after playing Planeshift a bit, it felt like I was in some kind of King of the Hill meets Lord of the Rings (?) with everybody mooching about. I'm sticking with Desert Combat - its an oldie, but a goodie :)

Planeshift is one of those Projects that gets worked on enthusiastically for a year, then everyone goes "ahhh forget it" and lets it slide into a state of "it'll be released after duke nukem forever resurfaces" :lol:

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 27 2005 at 09:41 PM said:
runescape, runescape, runescape!

the only online rpg i ever played and it sucked
haha, I remeber that. IT's fully 3d now you know.

so apart from the technical completence, how's is this game's storyline and gameplay? can we create a character and stary playing by following an actual storyline and paths to choose, etc.?

Back