Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

I can't quite tell in that video - does that prototype they show opening and closing have the keys that retract when the unit closes. Seems to me he doesn't quite get it closed at the end.

I'm not quite sure how they're going to get that to work, although it feels simpler than PGS's plan to make joysticks retract. Looking between the tab and Q keys on my old 5MXs I can see a rubber mat with bubbles that get squished, and they can't be using that for the final unit.

I can't quite tell in that video - does that prototype they show opening and closing have the keys that retract when the unit closes. Seems to me he doesn't quite get it closed at the end.

I'm not quite sure how they're going to get that to work, although it feels simpler than PGS's plan to make joysticks retract. Looking between the tab and Q keys on my old 5MXs I can see a rubber mat with bubbles that get squished, and they can't be using that for the final unit.

The company making it explained how it works . I think I put a link to their explanation earlier. Something do with magnets

The company making it explained how it works . I think I put a link to their explanation earlier. Something do with magnets

It is essentially a smartphone with the battery put on a hinge and a keyboard tacked onto the battery side.

USB ports, keyboard & battery are in the keyboard side. Everything else is on the screen side. Should be interesting. I'm a bit dubious on their timeline though - I don't see them going from current prototypes to delivery inside of the next 2 months.

Until it can run PCSX2, no point in buying one of those.

(And if there's ever a solid CPU upgrade board for Pyra, that might be cheaper than buying a whole new unit.)

I didn't watch that video, but something about that preview image is awesome. Are they double shot keys? I love that look.

I know this is off-topic, but I don't care: Inspired by what was said enough, and @hns inquiring about interest in a Pyra Fone, if that happens maybe ED will allow a keyboard/gamepad to be made (ICP3?) with the Pyra name to fit on it. It could have an extra battery in the hinge area. If it is a keyboard only (because get the real Pyra if you want games) maybe it could have double shot caps. Yeah, I know I am dreaming with all this, but if I can feed it my old Pyra CPU board in the event that we get an upgrade I might be all for that option. Of course OS would be a concern of mine, be we already have two flavors of Linux that should work for it. Maybe we could get ED away from the big companies for his mobile communication needs, too.

Latest Indiegogo update from the Gemini team:

"Dear Backers!

Gemini PDA functionality videos #1

Here is our first video update on the latest Gemini PDA prototypes that our CTO brought over from the factory in China last week.

The video below uses the latest Gemini PDA prototypes in action showing the following key functions:

• Gemini PDA keyboard function within apps
  • Mobile Phone Call
  • Skype call
  • Psion-like application bar and screen "sleep"/"wake" commands
  • HDMI video cable adapter
The Planet Computers team is now working with the factory to debug the current hardware and firmware.

Some of the key milestones have been reached, such as making the first mobile phone call.

We hope that this gives you a good insight into where we are now."

Last edited:
That does look quite impressive. Mind you, I don't think it will have the same wake/sleep functionality as Psions (or On/Off as we used to call it) - namely sleep for 30 days on 2 AA alkaline batteries. But for any device in 2017 that's quite good looking already.

I noticed you can still back one on Indiegogo (InDemand ). They have the 4G variant for $399 . They said on Twitter that they will keep taking orders via Indiegogo until the end of Oct - after that date, they plan to focus on production

I'm trying to do something with my phone. A "laptop case" with a MHL cable, a monitor, an USB HUB and a Keyboard. So if someone have some information about it, a good dock to open, a good montior and stuff for colaboration, is welcome :D

It's a shame the Pyra isn't geting to have a keyboard like that. I much prefer that style; shame this device runs Android though :-(

Oooh, must have missed that (or just forgot, considering how long ago I last properly looked at it)... Does it still work as a phone when booted into Linux?

Oooh, must have missed that (or just forgot, considering how long ago I last properly looked at it)... Does it still work as a phone when booted into Linux?
There was some talk about Linux being loaded in an chroot under Android to take advantage of the Android communications stack.

I'm not sure if that is addition to a primary Linux boot capability.

So far I'm impressed with the project now that it has returned to Earth. They have updated the specs to a more realistic quoted battery size and shown some mostly working prototypes.

Yes, I ordered one. I'm not giving up hopes for the Pyra, but I need to find a new Android phone for 'secure' mobile email - preferably one where I can keep the OS updated for more than a year or two. With luck this should fulfill my work related needs.

It would be my luck that they would both arrive at the same time so I have too many toys to play with and not enough time to do either justice.

Yes, I ordered one.
Please review when you get it. I am especially interested in the texting and other phone functionality under Linux (in case Pyra stuff doesn't work out). Do they have an anticipated shipping date?

Please review when you get it. I am especially interested in the texting and other phone functionality under Linux (in case Pyra stuff doesn't work out). Do they have an anticipated shipping date?
Like all of these preorder and wait devices - that may be a while.

On an exciting note - they're supposed to release something about running Linux on it in the next few days.
[doublepost=1508438506,1508425337][/doublepost]

Is there any way to change the thread title to something referencing the device?
Planet Computers Gemini - Psion returns
or something to that effect?

Also - does anyone know of any user driven forums associated with this device?

I'm fairly positive about the progress of the Gemini project, and the Gemini PDA looks good. As said before, the founder of Psion is now an honourary member of their team and has invested in them. All good signs and I feel they will deliver. That said, I advise caution.

1) You guys probably know the whole RCL Vega+ project has blown up big time. Janko , the Director of Planet Computers, is also a Director of RCL. In fact he along with the other directors of RCL were sued by ex directors of RCL. RCL had tried to strip ex directors of their shareholding, they fought back and sued the current RCL directors personally and won. Something like 52K + in fees/damages etc. Mind you, I can see why RCL would try to strip them of their shares. They own 50% of the company and allegedly had all sorts of say in the running of the company .

2) Next you have Planet Computers stating in a March update, that Janko was employed by RCL to just deliver them new firmware after one of the ex directors of RCL took his Vega+ firmware with him. The update said :

"We have received comments from a few of our backers about our CEO's involvement in Retro Computers and the Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus project and Indiegogo campaign and we wanted to clarify some details about this to our backers.

Gemini is Janko's very first crowdfunding campaign and he is very humbled and overwhelmed by the response to date and support for the Gemini - as he has been planning to bring back the clamshell PDA keyboard mobile device for nearly three years.

Long after the Vega Plus crowdfunding campaign was complete, Janko was asked to help out on the Vega Plus project after two of the directors of Retro Computers resigned and that company was left with no firmware for the Vega Plus . As a long standing fan of Sir Clive Sinclair, he accepted the role of Technical Director at Retro in April 2016 to help create the new firmware for the Vega Plus. The new firmware, based on Linux, has been delivered and the first production of the Vega Plus has now been completed. For the purpose of clarity, Janko holds no shareholding in Retro Computers Limited.
"

Ok so in the highlighted text above it says he delivered the firmware 7 months ago. Lee Fogarty , who was part of the Vega+ project, just walked away from it days ago citing numerous concerns. He said this about the firmware Planet delivered -> http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/10/zx-vega-update-statement-from-lee.html .
Following on from that, in a legal defense statement made by David Levy on Oct 12th against a small claim - someone took them to the small claims to get a refund for the Vega+ they backed. David said they were still debugging the firmware. Source: https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.p...o-fundraiser/&do=findComment&comment=11621616

The highlighted comment above also says first production of the Vega Plus has now been completed. That comment was wmade 7 months ago and there is still no sign of the Vega+. Could be they are meaning they produced a small production run?, but yeah, it seems a very missleading comment

3) In another March IGG update, Planet Computers said this:

"We just wanted to remind our backers that under Indiegogo's Terms, all contributions are donations to help us create the Gemini PDA keyboard mobile device, and not purchases where you're guaranteed to receive an item. We have every intention of sending your perks out to you, but like many crowdfunding campaigns there might be some bumps along the way. We really want to bring back the PDA clamshell mobile device and are fixated about starting Gemini production on time. This is why we are going to visit our Far Eastern manufacturing partners next week. We are working towards delivering a working product on time, but we cannot absolutely promise this as we are still in the "concept" phase. Now that all that's been said, we want to show our backers we're committed to giving you concrete details about our development each week, so that you are always well informed of progress, and we're confident we'll surpass your expectations!"

That is a steaming pile of horse poop. In fact IGG says the complete opposite.The fact they would post such nonsense in an update scared me right off this project. Here is what IGG Terms of Use actually say:

From Indiegogo Terms of Use:

"Campaign Owners are legally bound to perform on any promise and/or commitment to Contributors (including delivering any Perks). Indiegogo does not recognize any third party and/or agency affiliated with the Campaign as a Campaign Owner. If a Campaign Owner is unable to fulfill any of its commitments to Contributors (including delivery of any Perks), the Campaign Owner will work with the Contributors to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution, which may include refunding Contributions. Please note that if Campaign funds have been disbursed to the Campaign Owner, then it is the Campaign Owner's responsibility to issue refunds to Contributors."

Source:
https://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms

Last edited:
I've since been informed that the firmware is woefully inadequate for the Vega+ - and that's speaking as one of the authors of one of the most popular Spectrum emulators in the world, so I do know what I'm talking about. Most of the bugs that have been reported in the firmware are one-day fixes, with others no more than a week of 9 to 5 coding. This report was from April of this year, and I'm told that none of the bugs have been addressed as yet.

It's not looking good for RCL at all, and I'd not trust any campaign in which any RCL staff are involved at this point - they're not saying much, and what they are saying is being roundly debunked around the web.

So I think that caution is advised. The Gemini was a serious competitor in my eyes to both the GPD devices and the Pyra, and it's these issues with the vega+ and the continuing delays to the Pyra that pushed me towards the GPD Pocket.

Back