Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

Are amateurs actually the opposite of professionals? I figured the opposite would be totally uninvolved with whatever it is that the others are doing.

Anyone trying to get you to change standard language widely recognised across civilisation is a member of a cult and wants you to join their mindless ways.

Nobody every got killed with a word. It can't happen. Stop trying to make it happen, people.

Referring to someone as a female is bad form unless you're writing a biology textbook - the word we normally use is 'woman'.

Regarding gender neutral pronouns, I find using 'they' if the gender is unknown, of if you're just unsure gets the meaning across without offending too badly. As Dunny says the singular third person pronoun has problematic inferences when used against people, even if they're gender agnostic I find.

Oh posh, its not bad form at all. I am a male and a man. If someone is describing me, I'm sure they would say male and that is ok.

Why are people so sensitive to stupid things these days?

Anyone trying to get you to change standard language widely recognised across civilisation is a member of a cult and wants you to join their mindless ways.

Nobody every got killed with a word. It can't happen. Stop trying to make it happen, people.
Fuck what is widely accepted across civilisation.

Also, words themselves may not kill (except with sonic weapons, possibly) but they can lead to death. History has shown that to be true in many forms (assassination/execution orders, bullying, hate speech that motivates others to violence or war). I think you were getting at this with your first paragraph, but the language you and others use can influence the way your mind works. Words are dangerous.

Oh posh, its not bad form at all. I am a male and a man. If someone is describing me, I'm sure they would say male and that is ok.

What if I call you they or it? I do this often internally sometimes, especially when I feel like I am observing humans as an outsider.

As for the rest of it, and what you were actually getting at, I agree. If what someone calls you bothers you, politely correct them and get over it, or ignore it and move on. I was often referred to as both he and she for about 5 years, and it almost never had anything to do with me presenting myself one way or the other (I was a kid, just bring a kid). Didn't matter to me. Since hair started growing on my face, and I let it stay there, that stopped happening. Maybe I am just really pretty.

Yep! If someone tells me they want to be called ______. I will, but you can't really blame someone for not knowing/describing you without that input. People aren't mind readers

Yep! If someone tells me they want to be called ______. I will, but you can't really blame someone for not knowing/describing you without that input. People aren't mind readers
Same with my name. I use my first name as my legal name, but go by my middle name. Even with both of those, I don't shorten them or go with the common derivative nicknames, yet some people still call me by those (I only let a few people get away with it, yet some refuse to listen).

Anyway, you are all "it" to me. :p
[doublepost=1517033499,1517033469][/doublepost]
if a moderator is willing, a thread split may be in order...?
You should be a mod.

Thems fightin' words! (Oh wait no they're not, you can't kill people with words.. you just can't. Stop trying to make it happen, losers!)

I'm not sure that's what the point was. As far as I can tell, the point was that while trying to avoid gender-assigning by using neutral pronouns, "it" is probably not a good choice.

I said it was 'bad form' which is a somewhat different meaning. But I should also correct what I said; using 'female' as a noun is flat out wrong, but it's fine as an adjective. It's just bad grammar to say 'I am a female' or 'I like females', but saying 'I am female' is fine.

Edit: And I'm still at someone of a loss to describe why this conversation had popped up in this thread of all places.

I thought someone said "female is offensive, it's woman"
And yet I know many that are not offended by being called a female.

I said it was 'bad form' which is a somewhat different meaning. But I should also correct what I said; using 'female' as a noun is flat out wrong, but it's fine as an adjective. It's just bad grammar to say 'I am a female' or 'I like females', but saying 'I am female' is fine.

Edit: And I'm still at someone of a loss to describe why this conversation had popped up in this thread of all places.
May not be technically correct (not sure, would need to check) but language changes over time, so :p

As I mentioned, there are parts of society where it isn't uncommon to use male and female in that way. I suppose to outsiders it might seem odd (or robotic), yet that is how they talk. I wonder about those in certain fields, like advertising and television, and biologists and such. I have never been immersed in their world, and it might be interesting for reasons unrelated to this conversation.

Back to the main topic, depending on how this thing turns out, I am more and more tempted to get one. We really need the Pyra soon so I don't stray (and waste money).

Factory production of shipping Gemini handhelds is scheduled to start today. Funding is over 1.6 Million USD. They intend to ship their first units prior to the Chinese new year.

Back