Play Asia.com

Way back when a guy I knew was importing Super Magic Drives, I recall him "trying out" the styrofoam pieces in the shipping cartons. He swore the light brownish ones were completely edible...this thread reminded me of that for some odd reason.

Nevermind.

lol2232 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
sorry for some reason i just got real angry when i saw that... yes it was funny what he said but i just thought that it was a little rude the way u worded it... although i was the meanest :) sorry
Ah, no need to apologize, my friend. You just fell victim to a typical linguistic snare. I perfected them ages ago. It just caught the wrong target.

Be more wary, certainly... measure your response!

TelcoLou posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:45 PM said:
Ok, now that you damn hippies are done with your free love crap
So who says he's done?!

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Jul 27 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
Ok, now that you damn hippies are done with your free love crap ... can someone answer my question in the other topic?

What are you talking about i thought you where a hippie ;)

zektor posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:57 PM said:
Way back when a guy I knew was importing Super Magic Drives, I recall him "trying out" the styrofoam pieces in the shipping cartons. He swore the light brownish ones were completely edible...this thread reminded me of that for some odd reason.

What?!?

Blah posted on Jul 26 2006 at 06:12 PM said:
deadlychicken22 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
I got a free carrying case for pre-ordering from gp32z. Too bad they're leaving. Play-asia is probably the next best bet for people living in the US.

And for that reason, does anybody have an idea what shipping costs from them?

Their site seems to be down at the moment, otherwise I could go have a look at my order history. I got mine shipped to Canada by EMS, might have been around $30-$40.

The worst part about play-asia is that unless you e-mail customer service with specific instructions, your stuff are declared on the customs form as "merchandise" and marked at full value. I got taxed around 30% of the value. ****ing hurts since the entire order was about $250. This is why I tend to avoid play-asia now, at least for buying games.

Just as a comparison, I bought my PSP from yesasia instead, again the order was about USD$250 and shipped by DHL, but it was declared on customs at HKD$50 (around USD$8 or $9). I didn't have to pay a single penny in duties.
Same thing when I ordered GuitarFreaksV and a controller. Shipped by DHL again, and the package was positively enormous. Declared at HKD$100 and I didn't have to pay duties again.

Unfortunately yesasia doesn't stock GP2X.

I ordered Play-Asia. Got my 2X, Stickers, Candy, and that 5 dollar coupon.

I love them long time, great company. I will buy from them any day.

[Edit] yeah - they mark the product as-is value, and if you have an import tax, you're fucked. Since I'm in the US - I got a great deal, it was fast, it was in mint condition, and it came with free stuff...

You cannot go wrong with them.

play-asia will throw candy in any large (read big box with spare room ;) ) order, I've gotten candy from them quite a few times :D and I just received Bonk for PS2 today and it came with a sweet sticker although I couldn't eat it there wasn't enough room for candy I guess :p

if I order something from play-asia, will it get taxed the crap out of coming into the US?

Shikaku posted on Jul 27 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
cwncool posted on Jul 27 2006 at 10:51 AM said:
if I order something from play-asia, will it get taxed the crap out of coming into the US?

Usually no, but it can happen leaving Asia...
I hope the odds of that are very, very low. I'll be ordering my GP2x next month, more than likely from playasia, unless some better local option arises by then (doubtful). Ya know, I think I want a puppet, like TelcoLou got...

I ordered a flash cart several years back from lik-sang (I think it was them, but it was definitely a Hong Kong based retailer) and had no taxes to worry about. Aside from the shipping being a tad higher than I would've liked it to be, that transaction was just as easy as if it were local to me here in the USA.

I'm in The Netherlands and I've only had to pay tax once. It happened the one and only time I used UPS for shipping. That's probably not a coincidence.

One thing I did notice is that Play Asia put the true value on the box label, and Lik-Sang don't.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:45 PM said:
Ok, now that you damn hippies are done with your free love crap ... can someone answer my question in the other topic?
You know, since you handed in your mod badge you've become more of an asshole :p

The US doesn't have import duty fees on personal electronics as long as it comes from a non-embargo'd/sanctioned nation. Duty fees from embargo'd nations (eg. Cuba, North Korea, etc.) are 70%. You can look this up in the tax code yourself (google).

lol i worded it like that because i'm not at home currently and i wont be untill tomorrow, so my gp2x has been sitting at the house for like 4 days unopened. I orded it on saturday/sunday and it got there by tuesday!!

Back