Play Asia Wiz - Big Delay

quasist said:
*smells wifi integration
That would be the only thing that would make me feel better having to wait past the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it does (I'm totally uninformed, but its my hunch based on some communications.)

I have to say .. they're really good fellas over there; they may not get everything right, but its not for lack of heart. Sounds like they've had some annoying issues with people supplying them various software bits and they've decided to hold back because they want the best customer experience, despite the fact the hardware is more or less ready. Thats something to be proud of.

jeff

skeezix said:
I believe it does (I'm totally uninformed, but its my hunch based on some communications.)

I have to say .. they're really good fellas over there; they may not get everything right, but its not for lack of heart. Sounds like they've had some annoying issues with people supplying them various software bits and they've decided to hold back because they want the best customer experience, despite the fact the hardware is more or less ready. Thats something to be proud of.

jeff
It's probably as the current firmware is a mess.

I should elaborate that I am only disappointed because I was so looking forward to getting a unit and start porting stuff (like MAME, unless of course Franxis was going to do this).

Maybe I can get a pre-release dev unit?

Yes, ALL WIZs wil be delayed.
Basically, the company that did the main menu didn't manage to get it running very well (it runs in flash).
They now scrapped that and need to code their own main menu.

They don't want to have a bad system out this time.

Should be possible ;)

slaanesh said:
I should elaborate that I am only disappointed because I was so looking forward to getting a unit and start porting stuff (like MAME, unless of course Franxis was going to do this).

Ask them ;)

EvilDragon said:
Basically, the company that did the main menu didn't manage to get it running very well (it runs in flash).

They don't want to have a bad system out this time.

Should be possible ;)

Why not get Ryo to port Gmenu2X to it as the default and get them to pay him for it?

That is all we will do here anyway is replace whatever crappy menu they give us with Gmenu (assuming Ryo ports it).

EvilDragon said:
I'm so glad they are scrapping the Flash Menu, Whoever coded that needs to be shot, even I could have done a better job!

I do think GMenu2X would be an excellent replacement, that mixed with an awesome skin from Ruckage would be brilliant! I reckon it would require very little work to get it running perfectly!

Hirolaser said:
Since it is delayed I hope they decide to make the screen 3.5". Also rounded buttons.
...and propeller

slaanesh said:

Yes, i had a WIZ reserved in HardCoreGamer (the official spanish distributor), and my intention is to port MAME for the WIZ... Didn't you offered to port MAME to Pandora?

I'm also disappointed. There is nothing positive in the WIZ or Pandora announcements... They will be both delayed to 2009... and the effect is that the scene is dead for months, waiting for the new handhelds... :(

About the pre-release units, i think GPH has only given pre-release dev units to people helping in the firmware and development libraries, and also to the authors of homebrew games... nothing for emulator ports... GPH do not want to hype...

Franxis said:
Yes, i had a WIZ reserved in HardCoreGamer (the official spanish distributor), and my intention is to port MAME for the WIZ... Didn't you offered to port MAME to Pandora?
I'm just excited about the new handhelds. Really looking forward to getting something fast out there. I was thinking whatever came out first - which I thought was going to be the Wiz. Sadly, not the case now.

Yes, I would love to port MAME4ALL to the Pandora, but Zodttd had already done so. But he said that it will still need finesse, so I am happy to do this.

Anyway, I am looking forward to both new machines, pity that we have to wait a little longer.

Buy hey, the GP2X is still a great machine. I still use it (and my PSP) regularly.

Franxis said:
About the pre-release units, i think GPH has only given pre-release dev units to people helping in the firmware and development libraries, and also to the authors of homebrew games... nothing for emulator ports... GPH do not want to hype...
Yeah, I was in touch with them a while back, and they're not interested in emulators at all. I'm not sure if they're still looking, but they were asking for sourcecode to homebrew games so that they can check compatibility.

quasist said:
Hirolaser said:
Since it is delayed I hope they decide to make the screen 3.5". Also rounded buttons.
...and propeller

LOL May I add a portable coffee maker to that?

Seriously though, the hardware is complete so there's no point in suggesting any changes there. The delay is purely on a software level.

It's going to be interesting to see what GPH is going to do with the software. Since the flash interface was to slow, they might be going for some more lightweight. I personally would love to see something like the Scale interface that is being made for the pandora.

Regards

André

Simply i don't understand... GPH has stopped GP2X production to sell the WIZ, and now the WIZ is delayed to february... They will not sell anything for christmas... It is a suicide... I think the delay due to the software is not credible... It should be anything more...

Back