Please Can Someone Do This

foleyjo

The thing that I think needs doing to make the GP2x the best system for emulation is if someone could make it possible to use USB keyboards and joysticks/pads work with the emulators rather than having to use virtual keyboards.
So could someone please make it possible for me to use keyboards and joysticks for the c64 emulators the bbc emulators and the snes emulators. (and also make it so picodrives joypads settings save)
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Id do it myself but Im not clever enough :(
and I will love anyone who does it

063.jpg

http://www.gp2xstore.com/products/Gp2x_Com...radle-68-4.html

TA-DAAA!

Maybe most people want portable emulation and so don't care about usb keyboards? Ie, they don't want to carry around a gp2x, BoB, DC adaptor & keyboard/joypad with them? It would be easier to use a PC or Laptop.

But doesnt that make the features of the GP2X that make it unique pointless??

one of the things that attracted me to the GP2X was the fact i could plug it into the TV and I could plug my USB devices into it. As well as all the great emulators.

I have purchased a BoB and am finding its only really useful for storing my roms onto harddrive.

I think the emulators that are already available are amazing but it would be nice to have the option to play multiplayer games on the snes emulator and be able to use a keyboard with the C64 emulator.
On the C64 there are games that need various button presses that cant be done with the virtual keyboard as u play (Try playing Skool Daze)

Sure allowing keyboards and stuff to work goes against the handheld philosophy, but it's more functionality which expands the potential of the system. Being able to take your GP2X to a friends house and do multiplayer games on the tv adds the much needed social element that was missing from the GP2X, which will hopefully increase it's popularity even more.

Naturally it would be bad if people wrote emu's that supported real keyboards alone, but having them as an option (as well as virtual keyboards) just makes everything better.

Totally agrree and I think once the commercial bob user base increases more developers will add support for external devices. I think the sheer number of people who have been asking for the commercial bob for so long shows that there is a demand for this kind of extra functionality.

Of course a gp2x with BoB and gears attached won't be a handled no more but I don't think implementing this feature in an emu is a stupid idea.
I will love to still play some classics on the go but have the possibility to hook a keyboard and mouse with TV display and have an Amiga, Cpc, C64 - All In One - at home.
And it's a bit smaller than a laptop (and a bit cheaper).
Question to Devs: Is it hard to add this type of feature in an existing Emu?

virusx said:
Of course a gp2x with BoB and gears attached won't be a handled no more but I don't think implementing this feature in an emu is a stupid idea.
I will love to still play some classics on the go but have the possibility to hook a keyboard and mouse with TV display and have an Amiga, Cpc, C64 - All In One - at home.
And it's a bit smaller than a laptop (and a bit cheaper).
I agree and concur. Not to mention that a mini-keyboard is portable, or that maybe your friend wants to play you on a game on one unit.

Question to Devs: Is it hard to add this type of feature in an existing Emu?

The question is if they will just put back the functionality.

Many of these programs and emulators are ported to the handhelds from Linux, so the Keyboard/mouse/gamepad support is removed.

All you need is a dev willing to put in the option for input, of course no other handhelds are USB compatible (I can surf the net on my PSP, with no keyboard it is worse than ridiculous), so the very idea may not have come up for these emu authors.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people use SDL, the functionality can easily be included for the most part, as I believe there's a version of SDL that supports USB keyboards/etc (someone correct me if I'm wrong here...)

However, with the emulators and stuff that attack the hardware directly for performance reasons, accessing a usb device will incur a performance hit, although I'm not exactly sure how much. On top of that, you'll need a usb library for people to use. I think Rlyeh is working on that.

Looking at the replies here and other threads it seems that USB Keyboards and Joystiicks are something that people want in their emulators so who do we bug to add them

foleyjo said:
Looking at the replies here and other threads it seems that USB Keyboards and Joystiicks are something that people want in their emulators so who do we bug to add them

so are you guys saying that this CRADLE cannot be used as a multiplayer for MAME or NES or SNES or GENESIS emulators on my gp2x??? so why would anyone buy it then?>????

MAME Yes
NES No
SNES No
MegaDrive/Genesis Yes

And they'd buy it to in crease the userbase with the ability to use USB so that the devs have more motivation to support using it in more applications ;)

Yes, this is the best point with the Gp2X.
You ask for something, everybody agree, wait a bit... and a dev do the dirty job :)
While I'm here I would like to thank all those guys. You've done so much for us.
DON T FORGET TO DONATE SOMETIMES!

PokeParadox said:
MAME Yes
NES No
SNES No
MegaDrive/Genesis Yes

And they'd buy it to in crease the userbase with the ability to use USB so that the devs have more motivation to support using it in more applications ;)
I bought the cradle and was sad to realize that the Atari800 Emu does not support the USB input. I was dreaming of using it for 4 player games of M.U.L.E.

Good to at least hear that MAME and Genesis support it... I just have to get the newer versions of those I guess.

vaylen said:
PokeParadox said:
MAME Yes
NES No
SNES No
MegaDrive/Genesis Yes

I bought the cradle and was sad to realize that the Atari800 Emu does not support the USB input. I was dreaming of using it for 4 player games of M.U.L.E.

Good to at least hear that MAME and Genesis support it... I just have to get the newer versions of those I guess.

Have a go with the NES version; Notaz is still working on FCEultra :)

Back