Pandora Pnd/aufs Question

Coder_TimT

I've run into a possibly serious problem and wanted to run it by the pnd/aufs gurus and see what everyone thinks. My pnd has some default configuration files in it, then when the configuration is changed the files would be saved into the appdata directory. I would think this is kind of the point of our system and thus this should be a legitimate thing to do.

Now, the problem. Everything works perfectly fine with my application, as long as the pnd/appdata directory are running from an ext2(or I'm sure other reasonable filesystem) partition... If they are running from a fat partition, things don't appear to be working correctly. I noticed something similar trying to save with Quake2...I didn't really think much about it, I just threw it on my ext2 card and it worked.

Anyway, here is a breakdown of the behavior I'm seeing on the most basic level.

1. Run program from ext2
  2. Goto /mnt/utmp/program_name
  3. vim conf file
  4. Edit and save conf file
  5. File now appears in appdata directory
  6. Or I can even just touch the file and it shows up in the appdata directory.

• Alternatively I can run from fat32 partition
  • Goto /mnt/utmp/program_name
  • vim conf file
  • Edit and save conf file
  • Get error message that the file is read only
  • If I try to touch the conf file it also gives an error.
  • If I touch a completely new file it works as expected and goes to appdata, just the existing files from the pnd that we need to create an "overlay" of in appdata cause the problem.

Anyway, is this a known issue? Is this actually even an issue or should I not be doing this? Thanks for taking the time to look...

Not sure if it is intended, but I had trouble trying to copy a file from the PND file into the appData, I had to package it into a different folder within the PND and do a copy to the intended folder within appdata.

Yes, that's a problem with AUFS and FAT32 it seems. You can't edit files that are already there.

For VICE, I solved it like that:

* created a default config file, renamed it to something like confdefault.txt
* added a small check in the run script for vice within the PND: If the config file exists, simply run the emulator. If no config file exists, copy the default config over to the config file. This will create the config file within appdata.

This is the only way having default config files which can be changed at the moment.

Thanks guys, that what I figured the solution was going to be. I have a default MPD database, a default sqlite database and a default config file, because that was the easiest thing for me to do with ommpc on the gp2x. I'll make the needed changes and try again...

Back