Pandora PND - problems with HOME directory

hmc

Hi guys,

creating a PND, I just have the problem that the application reports a problem creating a lock file in the home directory

"Failed to set permissions on lock file ~/.filename.lock (error 1: Operation not permitted)".

I had this problem before, when I did

Code:
HOME="./"

export HOME

in the run script of the PND, and that's normal, because this new home is the appdata directory, which, in many cases, is located on a FAT fs, where no file permissions are possible.

But I commented out these two lines in my current run script, and still get the error.

Questions:

- What is the default home directory used when a PND application is started? the utmp mount point of the PND? That would explain the error message.

- How can I set the home used by the PND to the real user's home? Or what else would make sense to use? (It must be a permanent place, since a config file will be stored there, which needs to be available across PND launches).

- Did the behavior of PNDs change from Zaxxon to SuperZaxxon Beta5 in some way? On Zaxxon it was not a problem running (an earlier version of) this PND, and now, on SuperZaxxon, I have that problem. Could be a change in the application, too, since I upgraded it, but it rather seems to be a firmware change?

Thank you

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont want the PNDs to use the NAND. So pnd_run.sh does set HOME to the APPDATA directory. If you realy need to, there is a REAL_HOME to help you.

But myself I would grep that error message in the sources to remove theses file perm commands to remove the error and fix the problem while still not writing on that NAND.

Thanks! Very helpful.

So let me summarize.

If I understood this correctly,

to use utmp (non-writable) as home, whatever this should make sense for, I could leave the default or use

Code:
HOME="./"

export HOME

to use the writable Linux FS location /tmp I could use

Code:
HOME="/tmp/"

export HOME

and to use the real home of the user, I can use

Code:
HOME=$REAL_HOME

export HOME

Right?

But how do I use the appdata directory as home?

Daniel

HOME is already set to /mnt/utmp/<appname> which is writable as the appdata directory is mounted on top as an overlay.

If you realy need to go inside the appdata directory you also have APPDATADIR available.

Using /tmp as home is not a good idea : you wont save any setting this way (tmp is very volatile). Notaz was suggesting you to patch the program so it place its lock file in /tmp

sorry, I didn't get this yet.

HOME is already set to /mnt/utmp/<appname> which is writable as the appdata directory is mounted on top as an overlay.

If you realy need to go inside the appdata directory you also have APPDATADIR available.

if I write to HOME, do I write into the appdata directory? If so, what do I need the APPDATADIR variable for?

Thanks

Daniel

if I write to HOME, do I write into the appdata directory?
exactly

If so, what do I need the APPDATADIR variable for?
The aufs driver we are using ahve some quirk. In theory, it should create the needed directories to match what's in the PND on file write. Sadly it dont, genrating error. Having the APPDATADIR allow you to create theses directories to work around that bug

Back