PND QuickLook plugin for instant PND file preview in Mac OS X applications like Finder, Mail, etc

Would you personally use the PND QuickLook plugin?

• Yes, I would like to use this on a/my Mac.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, even though I am a Mac user.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, as I do not use Macs.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No, but I would like this for another OS.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No, as I do not need previews at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

porg

It would be cool if someone could write an Apple QuickLook plugin for PND files, so that one can conveniently preview PNDs in Mac apps such as the Finder (file browser), Mail, etc.

The Mac OS X Finder (and other apps such as Mail) allow you to instantly preview files through a framework called QuickLook.

Support for the most common file types in QuickLook is already preinstalled. Additional file type support can be added through a plugin system. An extensive plugin repository can be found at QuickLookPlugins.com

What I would expect in a PND preview:

• Full App Title
  • Icon and/or Screenshot
  • Description
  • Category / Genre

Btw it lists some gaming specific plugins too, like plugins for previewing ROM files:

http://eludevisibility.org/quickrom/ # Multiple

http://lallafa.de/blog/d64qlplugin/ # Commodore 64

http://bluezbox.com/ndsquicklook/ # Nintento DS

In 2007 QuickLookPlugins.com even ran a survey entitled: What Quick Look Plugins would you like to see developed?

Sadly this "wishlist" is now closed. But maybe there is an Mac+Pandora user/developer among us here, who finds it worth to go into it. Would be very cool! Or we could get in contact with QuickLookPlugins.com and inquire for collaboration there.

Last edited by a moderator:
repo.openpandora.org ? its got your basics...

Full App Title

Icon and/or Screenshot

Description

Category / Genre

repo.openpandora.org ? its got your basics...

Of course I know the repo. I use it a lot in order to discover new apps, download them, rate them, etc.

The suggested PND file browser preview plugin would have the purpose to get a convenient overview if you have dozens of PNDs lying around in a directory and cannot remember all of them. Some of them may have unrecognisable abbreviated names, or if you have a meaningful filename you may simply be not able to associate the game's content, but if you would have all important attributes (title, icon, screenshot, description, genre) at a glance, you could quickly recognize/associate it.

I voted for "No, but I would like this for another OS.", as I am primarily a Linux user.

However, it's a shame that I also can't vote for "Yes, I would like to use this on a/my Mac.", as my secondary machine is a Macintosh, and I would use it there, too. :p This being the case, please mentally add another vote for that option, as well, because I would vote for both of these if I could.

I didn't want to mess with it, but thanks, SONY. :D

I've amended my vote to reflect what I said.

No worries. :) If you had not told us, I wouldn't have known what you had voted for anyway, so it's all good. :D

As for my vote.

[ x ] No, but I would like this for another OS.

how about using Panorama? while im not sure if theres a mac version of it, it also does all you ask for and then some. yes it does show what you have installed, when it came out, preview pics if available, description, so on and so forth. there is a 32 and think 64bit version for windows, cant mac "wine" into win apps? or just go bother B-ZaR for a mac port. panorama is in repo as well, so yes it works on pandora, quite nicely as well when set up

how about using Panorama? while im not sure if theres a mac version of it, it also does all you ask for and then some. yes it does show what you have installed, when it came out, preview pics if available, description, so on and so forth. there is a 32 and think 64bit version for windows, cant mac "wine" into win apps? or just go bother B-ZaR for a mac port. panorama is in repo as well, so yes it works on pandora, quite nicely as well when set up

There is no Windows version of panorama and will not be, at least not for the MilkyTest UI, as libpnd is Linux centric and so is libmilky.

Panorama is said to use lots of linux centric things too. It's possible to run it on linux though.

Panorama is indeed a great package manager, I already praised it at the Repo and at PNDstore issues.

But nevertheless the suggested QuickLook plugin is an application of another kind.

Not a standalone application (like Panorama in "MilkyTest" mode), but rather a specific file format support built right into a general purpose file browser (Finder in the Mac case).

Back