Pnds Not Detected

skeezix said:
You can invoke xterm for sure, to run a command; xterm -font <foo> (xlsfonts to get a list), etc, works great; I used that for years back in the day (I wanted it so every xterm I popped up woudl have a slightly different background colour and foregroung font colour, to help differentiate them. So I specified all that gunk on the command line from a sh-script of course :)
Yeah, I just need to mess around with the font stuff some more. All the ones I've tried are tiny.

We currently don't support automatic adding to the user path (security risk), or adding to shared lib pool, or extending the base filesystem .. ie: we thought about it all and built some approaches, but in the name of security and simplciity for day-zero, to gather user feedback etc, we didn't put any of that in for now.
OK, then consider this your user feedback - I want to be able to do this ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the risk is more ..

If the pnd file is there, and you want it to extend the PATH, then you're imploying: 1) autostarting, so it can be available when needed, and 2) extending the path to it. Consider -- autostart and path changes .. a little freaky on secueity. But the autostart is risky .. drop too many of those onto your SD and you're out of ram quick, not to mention longer boot times. Still, thats up to the user -- we don't limit the user like the big guys do, we'll give you enough rope to hang yourself with if you really want to :) So it may happen ;)

The option of course is .. your pnd could pop up an option (say), then when selected, copies its good bits to the SD, and modifies the users path (or whatever you need to do.) ie: Nothing says your pnd file coudl not be a rudimentary installer/unpacker. I'm not much a fan of the idea, but whatever you need to do :)

jeff

skeezix said:
If the pnd file is there, and you want it to extend the PATH, then you're imploying: 1) autostarting, so it can be available when needed, and 2) extending the path to it. Consider -- autostart and path changes .. a little freaky on secueity. But the autostart is risky .. drop too many of those onto your SD and you're out of ram quick, not to mention longer boot times. Still, thats up to the user -- we don't limit the user like the big guys do, we'll give you enough rope to hang yourself with if you really want to :) So it may happen ;)
Well, automounting would be enough, no need to run anything. I don't see the security risk being any greater than it is right now. PND allows arbitrary code execution as it is, albeit at the users request. Possible solution could involve adding PATH and maybe LD_LIBRARY_PATH as elements in the PXML so that nothing need actually get executed when an "automounting PND" kicks in.

The option of course is .. your pnd could pop up an option (say), then when selected, copies its good bits to the SD, and modifies the users path (or whatever you need to do.) ie: Nothing says your pnd file coudl not be a rudimentary installer/unpacker. I'm not much a fan of the idea, but whatever you need to do :)
Yes, all possible but, I agree: not preferable. Sounds a bit like beating the PND system into submission in order to make it work like a regular package manager.

We've long thought about something like: /pandora/autorun -- presumably autorun woudl be pnds that autostart on system boot; some may exit (Autorun), some may never exit (so they can add shared libs to the system, say, via LD_LIBRARY or ldconfig magic, or union mount magic, or etc etc.) Its pretty easy to add into the system but like I said.. we figured to get the normal usage stuff worked over first, then get nutty :) So lets get the launch out of the bag before we go nuts :) (But if you cannot wait, let me know, maybe I can get you a build you can fiddle with)

jeff

Mjlink said:
I just tried downloading the SNES for Pandora:
http://apps.open-pan.../snes9x4d4p.inf

I get a file: dl.pl
Not a .PND file.

What do I do here?

Danks,

Link

Are you right-clicking the "Install" link and selecting "save link as" (or whatever the Midori equivalent is), or are you left clicking "Install" and allowing the ensuing PERL script to tell you "your download will begin in 3 seconds?"

sverm said:
Mjlink said:
I just tried downloading the SNES for Pandora:
http://apps.open-pan.../snes9x4d4p.inf

I get a file: dl.pl
Not a .PND file.

What do I do here?

Danks,

Link

Are you right-clicking the "Install" link and selecting "save link as" (or whatever the Midori equivalent is), or are you left clicking "Install" and allowing the ensuing PERL script to tell you "your download will begin in 3 seconds?"

It might be fixed now, but I left clicked it to see if I was getting the same error when he made that post, and it was. It was some bug with the appstore, not with the user. ;P

-God Ginrai

Back