Pocketsnes 7.2.0 For Wiz, Caanoo And Gp2X

Gab1975 said:
I tried Super Mario Kart with PocketSNES fast, it works well, but the FPS slows down when there are many objects on screen (from a maximum of 45 fps to a minimum of 23 fps).

I set the audio output at 22050 kHz stereo and the Caanoo CPU at 540 MHz.

Yeah, you'll need to overclock. Try with the CPU set higher - 700MHz works for me, although lower may well be OK, not tested yet :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the hishing sound in the previous version of Pocketsnes. But now it's gone for me.

I tried both Wiz and Caanoo version. I can overclocked at 800Mhz with Wiz, while 750 maximum with Caanoo, so Wiz is naturally better for me. With 800, I get around 49-53fps in F-zero with transparencies enabled. 41-44fps with 750 Caanoo I think. I would love to try the GP2X version soon enough.

Thanks bitrider! Haven't had a chance to test it on my Wiz yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Hi Bitrider,

I'm not having any luck getting this program to run. This updated file has Configuration files stored in the options and theme folders...WHERE DO THEY GO? Do i deleting the original configuration file? It the name of the main folder the "caanoo-relase" file, or the psnes_7.2.0_caanoo folder? Which of the original files get replaced?

I've been fooling with this for 2 hours and haven't gotten anywhere. P.S. The read me file is not updated to reflect how this is done, unless I'm just not seeing it anywhere.

I'm using a CAANOO with the latest firmware. Anything you could say to help me out would be great. Thanks.

bitrider said:
Quick fix upload, I forgot to use -r (recursive) switch with "zip" so some files where lost.

Please use this new release (executables are the same ones):

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?p=1232085&posted=1#post1232085

Please upload again to openhandhelds (the three versions please).

Regards.

mmielke said:
When I load Pocketsnes, the menu shows up, but my Caanoo makes a static hissing sound. Is this normal behavior?

qbertaddict said:
Is anyone able to get tv out working on the CAANOO version? It isnt working for me.

Looks like you'll still need to launch it through Gmenu2x to use TV out, and set it to scaled to get rid of the nasty flickering.

When I use TV-out on my wiz this emulator is choppy but the framerate still says 60/60. anyone know how to fix this?

LTStone said:
When I use TV-out on my wiz this emulator is choppy but the framerate still says 60/60. anyone know how to fix this?
It's an issue with the TV-out program. Picodrive does the same thing when using TV-out. It looks choppy as hell, but the fps is a constant 60/60

Well, it does seems like there's a lot of people which don't know how to run it on Caanoo.

1) Extract zip file contents to a folder into your Caanoo's SD card
2) Turn on your Caanoo
3) Make sure SD card where files were extracted to is in your Caanoo.
4) Select "Explorer" in Caanoo's main menu
5) Select the folder you created on file extraction
6.a) Select pocketsnes_caanoo_fast.gpe for fast version (recomended unless the game you want you to run doesn't run rightly).
6.B) Select pocketsnes_caanoo_compatible.gpe for SuperFX, SA-1 or games that doesn't run rightly on fast executable.

Note: some games will never run smoothly or full speed without overclocking.

i want to know... what's the difference between running:

1- Fast executable with "fast" set in options?
2- Fast executable with "compatible" set in options?
3- Compatible executable with "fast" set in options?
4- Compatible executable with "compatible" set in options?

I don't know if i've explained myself...

bitrider said:
Well, it does seems like there's a lot of people which don't know how to run it on Caanoo.

1) Extract zip file contents to a folder into your Caanoo's SD card
2) Turn on your Caanoo
3) Make sure SD card where files were extracted to is in your Caanoo.
4) Select "Explorer" in Caanoo's main menu
5) Select the folder you created on file extraction
6.a) Select pocketsnes_caanoo_fast.gpe for fast version (recomended unless the game you want you to run doesn't run rightly).
6. B) Select pocketsnes_caanoo_compatible.gpe for SuperFX, SA-1 or games that doesn't run rightly on fast executable.

Note: some games will never run smoothly or full speed without overclocking.

Thanks! Works Great!

hi-ban said:

Well it's easy:

- Executable is related to CPU Core:

a) Fast executable: CPU emulation core written in ARM assembly. It's less compatible but FASTER.
B) Compatible executable: CPU emulation core written in standard C. It's the CPU core developed by SNES9x team, more compatilbe but slower.

- Option is related to APU (Audio Processing Unit) Core:

a) Fast: APU core written in ARM assembly. It's less compatible but FASTER.
B) Compatible: APU core written in standar C by SNES9x team. it's slower but more compatible.

Regards.

oh, now i understand, thanks!

Could i suggest to make the CPU core to be available as an option in the menu, just as the APU core?
well, just that it's better to have one emulator instead of two, and would make life easier to end users like me :p

bitrider said:
hi-ban said:

Well it's easy:

- Executable is related to CPU Core:

a) Fast executable: CPU emulation core written in ARM assembly. It's less compatible but FASTER.
B) Compatible executable: CPU emulation core written in standard C. It's the CPU core developed by SNES9x team, more compatilbe but slower.

- Option is related to APU (Audio Processing Unit) Core:

a) Fast: APU core written in ARM assembly. It's less compatible but FASTER.
B) Compatible: APU core written in standar C by SNES9x team. it's slower but more compatible.

Regards.

So, it's APU related in option menu? Guess I'll try it at any combinations.
This build was really fast! Thank You Bitrider! :D

I've tested super mario kart on gp2x and it works awesome! :D
But there is a problem...if I try to exit application my gp2x freeze.
my firmware is open2x dr7.

paradroid said:
I've tested super mario kart on gp2x and it works awesome! :D
But there is a problem...if I try to exit application my gp2x freeze.
my firmware is open2x dr7.

I can confirm the issue. F100 MKII with open2x dr7.

Back