[poll] What Do You Think Of The Keyboard?

Like or hate?

• Like it - Don't change a thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like it - I like the look but I'm concerned on useability

• Don't like it - Give me Beveled keys

• Don't like it - Give me Depressed keys

• Don't like it - Give me Blackberry like keys

• Don't like it - I just' don't like it

• Total voters

alfatreze

Still Fresh
Let the developers know what you think of Pandora's keyboard while there may still be time to remake it.

I personally think they will be very problematic for typing (or playing) comfortably in it's current rendition, so I'd really like to see it reformulated.

Chip said:
Perhaps you should wait more than 10 min between asking a question and assuming the worst answer ;)

Well, I wasn't assuming the worst answer, but rather thinking it would still be a work in progress, and as such, benefit from the input of some of it's target audience.

The post came out badly constructed though, I though you'd choose one or the other and choose options in each. I couldn't preview it. Should have given it some thought. It's what I get from doing thing a bit hastily on work.

A mod should delete it or change it to something decent, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I still have no idea why that question and poll about the keyboard pops up every time a new rendering comes up when I stated THAT often that the keyboard on the rendering is not even like the one we actually use... as we hadn't decided about the keyboard when we did the rendering and I haven't seen the actual one yet (so I can't include it in the rendering).

Pretty pointless making a poll about something that won't actually be like it is assumed ;)

atomicthumbs said:
OK, uh.

This poll is broken.

The keyboard looks fine, but I'd like some modifier keys other than the buttons.
dito

I just registered to ask why there is no ctrl-key? I would definitely need a ctrl-key for apps like screen, emacs (which I don't use, I use vi but those who do would like a ctrl-key :)), and simple bash ...

Kinda pointless poll, but at least it's fixed now so works properly.

Vote again if you can be bothered :)

dajoe said:
I just registered to ask why there is no ctrl-key? I would definitely need a ctrl-key for apps like screen, emacs (which I don't use, I use vi but those who do would like a ctrl-key :)), and simple bash ...
There is, ctrl is a shoulder button :)

Many just get tired of addressing the same issues. This poll is 95% useless, Nobody here knows what the keyboard is like except Craig and Michael.
The rendering has nothing to do with the real thing so until you know what the real deal it like don't post stupid polls.

The keyboard is the main reason why I am not interested in buying a Pandora. I can only see it being useful for Amiga, C64 and ZX Spectrum emulation. Even then, most games on those systems do not need need it. People are getting excited about better PS1, N64 and perfect SNES emulation but the controls will not be suited to these systems at all.

WhizzBang said:
The keyboard is the main reason why I am not interested in buying a Pandora. I can only see it being useful for Amiga, C64 and ZX Spectrum emulation. Even then, most games on those systems do not need need it. People are getting excited about better PS1, N64 and perfect SNES emulation but the controls will not be suited to these systems at all.
What part of d-pad, dual analogs (each with stick click), four action buttons, two shoulder buttons, start and select buttons, a touch screen, and a keyboard do you not understand? If a system doesn't need it, then it won't be used. It's not like you'll be forced to use the keyboard to play your precious SNES games (unless the programmer is insane, of course). That's the whole point of having so many methods of input; it can easily handle just about any control scheme you can throw at it. And if that's not enough for you, put the USB port to use and plug in a gamepad, keyboard, or even a mouse.

And back on topic...
I don't like the keyboard as it is in the renders, but we have confirmation that changes are being made, so all is well.

WhizzBang said:
The keyboard is the main reason why I am not interested in buying a Pandora. I can only see it being useful for Amiga, C64 and ZX Spectrum emulation. Even then, most games on those systems do not need need it.
*only*? The first two you mentioned are the top two I want from the Pandora.

But leaving aside emulation (it isn't everything y'know), there is also e-mail, chat, web browsing, office apps, various utilities, homebrew games, on-device devving and many other uses for the keyboard.

People are getting excited about better PS1, N64 and perfect SNES emulation but the controls will not be suited to these systems at all.

As Shiny said, it's not like the keyboard will inhibit your enjoyment of those systems. You will still be able to play them exactly the same as if the keyboard wasn't there. If you're worried about hitting keys by accident, then don't be -- if a program doesn't need keyboard input, then the keyboard input can simply be turned off/ignored.

And yet it *could* help those emulators by assigning functions to certain keys, e.g. frameskip, sound quality, rendering modes, Vsync, gfx filters, save/load (and typing save titles), snapshots, overclocking on the fly and so on, which would be much easier than a fiddly controller menu.

I just don't understand how a feature which you may not use yourself actually makes a system worse?

Shiny said:
That's the whole point of having so many methods of input; it can easily handle just about any control scheme you can throw at it.
Well this is where I am skeptical. By throwing in so many input methods I think it will end being no good for any of them.

But leaving aside emulation (it isn't everything y'know), there is also e-mail, chat, web browsing, office apps, various utilities, homebrew games, on-device devving and many other uses for the keyboard.

I think it highly unlikely that you are going to want to do much typing of that kind on the Pandora keyboard. Using any small keyboard is a bit of a pain as it has to be done with one finger and you will make more typing mistakes than you would on a normal keyboard. I think the eee PC keyboard is about the limit for keyboard sizes and anything smaller is awkward.

I also think the tone of both your replies was a bit aggressive. To me they read as if you were saying "You are a tw*t for not loving the Pandora like what I do. How dare you say you are not interested in a keyboard on a handheld games console."

WhizzBang said:
I also think the tone of both your replies was a bit aggressive. To me they read as if you were saying "You are a tw*t for not loving the Pandora like what I do. How dare you say you are not interested in a keyboard on a handheld games console."
I'm not trying to convince anyone to love a system that doesn't even exist yet (and I don't plan on getting one of the first 3,000 anyway), merely pointing out there are an abundance of uses for the device beyond N64 and PS1 emulators, and that the keyboard will be useful to many people in many ways. If it's not so to you, then great.

However... for example, I don't believe I will use the analogue sticks much if at all -- yet I'm not going to complain about their existence and have them be a reason not to get it. I just, y'know, won't use them. No big deal. That's my point.

I would say that you have incredibly thin skin, but then I'd be afraid of offending you again ;)

WhizzBang said:
I think it highly unlikely that you are going to want to do much typing of that kind on the Pandora keyboard. Using any small keyboard is a bit of a pain as it has to be done with one finger and you will make more typing mistakes than you would on a normal keyboard. I think the eee PC keyboard is about the limit for keyboard sizes and anything smaller is awkward.

Perhaps you won't do much typing, but many of us will. About a quarter of my posts on these forums were sent from my HTC Apache phone, and that has an even smaller keyboard than Pandora. Once you get used to thumb typing, it is just as comfortable as regular typing, if a bit slower. I can still hit about 3 cps with minimal spelling mistakes.

WhizzBang said:
If people get aggressive in response to your arguement, it's because your argument is kind of absurd. You're basically asking to have a popular feature removed because you don't like the way it looks. It is not like the presence of the keyboard affects any other functions of the Pandora.

If you have a keyboard, the pro-KB people can use it and the anti-KB people can ignore it. If don't have the keyboard, the pro-KB people are severely inconvenienced and the anti-KB people are in the exact same position as if it was there. There is really no reason not to have it.

If it bothers you that much, just tape a piece of paper over it or something.

Chip said:
If it bothers you that much, just tape a piece of paper over it or something.
Or he can just take the entire thing out and fill the hole with epoxy.

Back