Release [Port] Residual

ah didn't know part of the window is cut off..

so what are the average FPS people are getting? Is anyone overclocking?

Yes, let it run fullscreen as native and maybe provide the information to make it windowed (for those that want it)

btw as said, joystick/nub support would be kick ass if possible

Updated PND on repo.

Added ED's proposed sed line. Only problem is that config file is fully created only after first game launch. So first run will be windowed but next ones will be fullscreen.

If you want windowed mode, just create the file appdata/residual/.no-fullscreen . While this file is present, residual games will run in windowed mode (actually, it's just the previous sed command reversed :D )

I'll try to look into joystick support this weekend, don't know if residual supports them.

Thanks for your comments!

I'd imagine that everyone would want to run it fullscreen. Could you simply change the instructions that appear on first run to say that this run will create the appdata folder, then instruct the user where to place the files, and indicate that the configuration will automatically take place on the second run of the PND, when all required data files are in place? I know there's a general push on here to try make usings software as painless as possible, so avoiding having to edit config files would certainly be easier for most! ;)

The readme showed on first run already explain all about data files and you don't actually NEED to put them in appdata folder (mines are in a particular folder on SD root). If I understand correctly your post, you propose to force data files location and generate config file? I haven't thinked about that :D

What do the others think?

EDIT: windowed mode explanations

EDIT 2 ;) : response to stouffa

Last edited by a moderator:
I never played Grim F on the PC, but I did have Escape From Monkey Island which did have joystick/controller support. However I don't know if Residual currently supports joysticks (without hacking it in)

Was looking at the Residual Git repository earlier and looks like they have begun work on getting EFMI working although the only thing that someone has got working is for it to boot for a bit then crash again.

P.S can anyone make a video of it working on their Pandora? :)

think I just automatically put mine originally in the same folder as the appdata, turned put I didn't apply the patch properly to the original files, so I recopied everything today, just put the files in my Scummvm directory (seemed as good a choice as any for me!). So all in all, you can probably disregard that suggestion of mine, hadn't FTFM enough! ;) The newer setup does run much better, going seemlessly to fullscreen on the second run, as promised. Oh and in answer to the question above, the game seems perfectly playable at 600mhz, but I've overclocked mine to 800mhz, and the animation in a lot smoother. :)

It is a shame that at current we can't use hardware rendering (to get the animations really smooth), it's possible to get it working for the Pandora.... but it's just messy at the current status of Residual and probably better to try when then are less bugs. :)

just to clarify, with joystick support i mean using a nub in joystick mode, not an external joystick

I tried residual today and it really runs good!

There seems to be GLES support in the sources. Could you try to compile with that?

You might just need to adjust some things to make configure detect our OGLESFramework.

And thanks for the great port!

I tried residual today and it really runs good!

There seems to be GLES support in the sources. Could you try to compile with that?

You might just need to adjust some things to make configure detect our OGLESFramework.

And thanks for the great port!

Reading on the official forums, at the current state it will be very messy to convert it to ogl-es.. it can be done but with nasty hacks.. so unfortunatly better to wait until the project is more complete.

Yes, maybe, just saw that the configurescript already has a routine to detect GLES in it. So I assumed, there is already some conversion done.

Sadly not on a Pandora.. as I am still patiently waiting, but compiled the latest Residual and included a couple of fixes and.......

monkeyisland4.png

but don't jump for joy... MI4 starts.. title screen plays with no sound sound and then it just crashes... and no more :p

but at least it's a start... and a future for the Pandora.. :D

Oh you TEASE lemondragon! I really wish I were a much better programmer, I would so like to work on getting EMI to run in Residual!

horray!

shame saves from previous releases wont work (that's alphas/betas for you) but at least some bugs are now fixed. :) Also Monkey Island 4 title screen should work :p

well I tried to compile it (for PC) it compiled fine.. sadly game would not run... but I'm sure it's something simple... however it's nice to see it in the menu:

:)

myst3resmenu.png

What's this sticky fluid in my pants? I just looked at the screenshots and it appeared.

Back