Porting Java?

som99

Still Fresh
Website
www.som99.tk
Hey I would like to know if its possible to port a java application to the gp2x i got the source code for a client and server written in java, the client is written by me and the server by others, it's a mmorpg but if ported it would make a realy good singleplayer game and you dont have to write everything in the game is possible to do by just using the mouse, if this is possible to port then i can put my soul in to updating the server with full npc, monster and item support and start writing quests. So if this is possible I can help anyone willing to port this with all problems, I know a great deal about the source code if you run into problems.

Edit: Oh just get in mind you cant run both server and a clietnI mean 2 applications on the same time on a gp2x can you? then I can help to in aeasy way build in the server in the client.

Source code for my client HERE
Source for the server HERE

Be warned the server is small but i made the client quite big im no pro in java :(

post all feedback and sugesstions here.
//som99

Wow, that is a LOT of code.

First of all, I couldn't find the source for the server, just the .jar containing the classes and those are obfuscated so I can't tell if it is portable or not.

Concerning the client, well, first of all, why is it all obfuscated, too? Very hard to read that way. But anyways, no, you won't be able to port it as the GP2x doesn't support neither AWT nor SWT nor SWING so you would have to port all the AWT stuff to the SDL mapping which is theoretically doable but not by a normal human being and not in a lifetime. So, sry, no, you won't probably won't see THIS client on the GP2x. It might be possible to write a SDL client using the SDL mapping but only if the server is portable which I can't tell without the source.

@saehn: Kind words and no, I haven't forgotten although you probably don't believe that anymore *g*

Thank you for your reply I did by mistake uppload the wrong server without source sorry, here is the real server. DOWNLOAD

Hope this helps a little more to understand it.
Feel free to pm me with any questions.

//som99

som99 said:
Thank you for your reply I did by mistake uppload the wrong server without source sorry, here is the real server. DOWNLOAD

Hope this helps a little more to understand it.
Feel free to pm me with any questions.

//som99

Yeah, well, at least the server would run. Perhaps some adjustment as e.g. the server resetting and I'm not 100% sure about all those socket connections but in theory it would run on the GP2x, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So would it be a realy dificult task porting the client and the server to the gp2x? It would be without any doubt the largest RPG game on the gp2x and would be open source so anyone would be able to help with new functions and building up the quest system, I am not fammiliar with the gp2x much enough to port it myself but I can expand the server realy much if possible to port. Would you want to try to port this with my assistance if there is any quistions about the source? I would be very greatfull if anyone could help me fixing thebigges rpg game ever for the gp2x and well if newtwork suppost is avalibe then other people using a gp2x could be able to connect to the server hosten on anothter gp2x :D

Thank you for your time in reading this post, yours Robert Andersson
//som99

som99 said:
So would it be a realy dificult task porting the client and the server to the gp2x? It would be without any doubt the largest RPG game on the gp2x and would be open source so anyone would be able to help with new functions and building up the quest system, I am not fammiliar with the gp2x much enough to port it myself but I can expand the server realy much if possible to port. Would you want to try to port this with my assistance if there is any quistions about the source? I would be very greatfull if anyone could help me fixing thebigges rpg game ever for the gp2x and well if newtwork suppost is avalibe then other people using a gp2x could be able to connect to the server hosten on anothter gp2x :D

Thank you for your time in reading this post, yours Robert Andersson
//som99
Well, it wouldn't be so much "porting" (Java is Java is Java) but more of a rewriting.
I think the server is quite feasible, the client would be a COMPLETE rewrite, so lots of work.
No, I wouldn't want to bring this game to the 2x, sry. I'm not into RPG myself and I stopped developing for the 2x scene.

Nagelfar said:
I stopped developing for the 2x scene.
Why is that? I still hope you'll maintain your Boomshine clone, or at least upload it to the archive.

Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:
I stopped developing for the 2x scene.
Why is that? I still hope you'll maintain your Boomshine clone, or at least upload it to the archive.

Because I found more rewarding ways to develop (Open Source) Games in Java than for the GP2x. I don't like the way many users here treat "their" developers so I decided to move on without making too much fuss about it.
Also I really hate what Gamepark does to its followers and the whole debacle (yes, it was a debacle imo) surrounding the BoB which disappointed me a lot.

Concerning Boomshine, I have no intention to develop it any further. There's a nice and very playable version available if you manage to find the right thread in this very forum. I won't upload it to the archives as I consider it a Beta Version but I have no objections if anybody else uploads it. I won't release the sources, though they are available (Java only) on request.

Nagelfar said:
Because I found more rewarding ways to develop (Open Source) Games in Java than for the GP2x. I don't like the way many users here treat "their" developers so I decided to move on without making too much fuss about it.
Also I really hate what Gamepark does to its followers and the whole debacle (yes, it was a debacle imo) surrounding the BoB which disappointed me a lot.
I find that a shame... I'm not a Java fan myself but I did appreciate your efforts. Oh well, good luck with your new endevours! :)

Back