Pandora porting X11 libraries or Xastir to the Pandora

TMIB

Still Fresh
I'm trying to get Xastir ported over to work on the Pandora, and I'm not having much luck. I'm hoping someone here can offer some useful suggestions. I'm pretty new to Linux, (most of my coding has been in C++ and C# using Windos)so I'm struggling my way through the process of trying to cross-compile it for this platform. (which means a lot of looking up posts by folks in esoteric linux forums around the net.) I'm doing my compiling on a VirtualBox running a VM of Fedora15.

I've got the cross compiler setup, and I've worked out most of the dependencies. However when I try and run the configure file for Xastir (./configure --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --prefix=$PNDSDK) I get a message that it cant find the -lxm files it needs.

I believe that means I also need to cross compile the X11 libraries for the Angstrom, so I've been trudging my way through that, figuring out all the odd dependencies and compiling them individually. It's been a rather difficult process, though I feel like I've made a lot of progress. However I've now run into another block, as trying to run "make" for libX11-1.4.0 is giving me errors:

make[3]: Entering directory `/media/sf_vmshare/libX11-1.4.0/modules/im/ximcp'

CC imCallbk.lo

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc: 11_CFLAGS: No such file or directory

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc: ../xproto-7.0.20: No such file or directory

In file included from ../../../include/X11/xlocale.h:36,

from /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/string.h:118,

from /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/X11/Xfuncs.h:46,

from ../../../include/X11/Xlibint.h:229,

from imCallbk.c:38:

/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/locale.h:148: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'locale_t'

I'm not sure what that's all about. the makefile includes a line that might not be getting escaped properly: "X11_CFLAGS = $X11_CFLAGS ../xproto-7.0.20", but removing this section does not remove the error.

My end goal is to be able to use the Pandora as both an APRS front end as well as a heads-up GPS, (in addition to an awesome retro gaming console) Right now I've got everything setup in the Jeep so that my radio, TNC (a Tinytrak4) and GPS sensor hook to my Windows Tablet PC running APRSISCE. It does everything I need- however the tablet is a much larger device and can't work as a dash-mounted solution. (it's usually something that my passenger has to hold in their lap). If I can accomplish the same thing with the Pandora, then I'll be able to just set the unit on the dash and have a very handy display.

has anyone had success in compiling the X11 libraries for the Pandora, or perhaps even Xastir?

Thanks,

--TMIB

Grab the sebt3's toolchain, it will safe you lot of work :)

It has all libs from Pandora, plus some extra stuff.. And pndconfigure does ./configure with right settings automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. No success yet, unfortunately. Been banging my head against the wall for hours. This is so frustrating. I keep getting caught in chains of dependency hell.

As it is now, I've installed the image of sebt3's toolchain on Virtualbox and am still struggling to get Xastir to compile. It needs OpenMotif development headers installed, and I am just running into more and more dependency issues trying to get them installed in such a way that they can be accessible when compiling Xastir.

I've been trying to get this working for several days now and have made very little progress. I was hoping the toolchain you linked would get me moving again, but I'm just stuck at an earlier point in the process now. I think it's time for me to walk away from the computer for a little while, as my biggest success thus far seems to be not putting my fist through the screen.

I can take a look at this then, I'll tell you how it goes.

E: You are right, it needs lots of stuff :D

MINIMUM OPTIONS:

ShapeLib (Vector maps) ................. : yes (internal)

RECOMMENDED OPTIONS:

GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster maps) : no

pcre (Shapefile customization) ......... : no

dbfawk (Shapefile customization) ....... : no

rtree indexing (Shapefile speedups) .... : yes

map caching (Raster map speedups) ...... : no

internet map retrieval ................. : yes (wget)

FOR THE ADVENTUROUS:

AX25 (Linux Kernel I/O Drivers) ........ : no

libproj (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : no

GeoTiff (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : no

Festival (Text-to-speech) .............. : no

GDAL/OGR (Obtuse map formats) .......... : no

GPSMan/gpsmanshp (GPS downloads) ....... : no

I guess you at least need the recommended ones? And the Xastir needs libproj and ImageMagick anyways.. Won't compile without it.

E: Ok, won't work on it anymore, it's possible to get it to compile, but you need lots of stuff. Some of these are added in latest pandora firmwares, but others you need to compile or search from angstrom repo. OpenMotif to get rid of that motif headers example. Be warned however, you need to change bit stuff around to get most of them to compile. OpenMotif for example uses helper applications to generate some files, you need to edit makefiles so it compiles these using your host system.

Anyways, you chose a nasty thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this thing has way too many dependencies to be easily converted over. I think I'm out of luck, unless I can find a different APRS software package.

Back