Ports require SOURCE CODE

you can't port something that isn't open source... and if i am right FF VII isn't open source! (please correct me if i'm wrong)

maybe soneone try's a remake for the gp32 someday but i don't think that any normal person is able to pre render the wole backgrounds at home for the remake...

We should add a sticky topic to this board called "Read before writing a porting request" like at the DCemulation boards.

1.) Is this game open source? If not, it ISN'T possible.
2.) Does it also run on older machines? If it needs for example a 600 MHz machine, forget it.
3.) Can you controll it with only six buttons ordo you need more than it?

etc.

I'd certainly like to see something like that, Max. I know it wouldn't stop all the requests for games cos some (most?) newbies won't read it, but it would give us somewhere to point them.

"Someone port FIFA2004!!! That game r0x0rs!!!!!!!!!!" :rolleyes: :D

ports_req.jpg

There is a way it could be done. The pre-rendered backgrounds can be easily ripped from the FFVII disc using various utilities as can the sounds. As for the 3D models well, using similar techniques as were used in the resident evil port demo a pretty good effect could be created.

The only hurdle would be the battles and the complex scripting. It would be a huge task, but it isn't impossible.

ColinR posted on Dec 30 2003 at 12:16 PM said:
I know it wouldn't stop all the requests for games cos some (most?) newbies won't read it, but it would give us somewhere to point them.
He just wanted to know if it would be possible and he was so DUMB to ask!

The headline was Final Fantasy VII Port?
If u are so neved by people asking something like that, just don't read the post.

I can't see whats so bad on this. Just say
hmmm. maybe possible. cool idea. port need source code. Maybe remake. But difficult.

OR just DON'T answer at all!

Sorry that i'm so bad-tempered. but i don't like things like that.
Most common answers on this forum are like this:

This has been asked before and if YOU don't know it yet then it's your own fault!

Is it realy that HARD to write a appropriate answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Max posted on Dec 30 2003 at 12:10 PM said:
We should add a sticky topic to this board called "Read before writing a porting request" like at the DCemulation boards.

there is a Stickie that already says this... You should read them yourself, then you would know that you didnt have to post that post :D hehe...

count zero posted on Dec 30 2003 at 01:57 PM said:
Is it realy that HARD to write a appropriate answer?
is it really that HARD to use the board's builtin search feature instead of wasting the host's valuable space and bandwidth with new threads?

Not ColinR wrote that. it was me.

No, Probably it's not hard to use the search feature. But I think u misunderstood my question.

Is it realy that hard to be a NICE Person?
Do have to be such assholes all the time?

I hope not!

BenRoshi posted on Dec 30 2003 at 09:27 AM said:
Why not make an ff7 with snes graphics?
Yeah, I was going to post that. FFVII 2D, like OOT2D.

@jegHegy: That poster is genius! :D

@ CZ: Where did I say anything inflammatory? The whole point of the search feature is to see if the question you're about to ask has already been asked, saving yourself time.

How about FF7 with the original 2d rendered backgrounds, and limited-angle-sprite characters (like in doom). Would look a bit like a SCUMM game, but with a dpad for movement instead of point'n'click. Battle scenes could use the same kind of engine the snes games used(2d layered, with characters on one side of the and enemies on the other).

Back