Possibility Of Custom Skin Sets For Gp2x Fusilage??

Morpheus384

Website
Visit site
Ok, I posted this in another forum and the thread seemed to die without any feedback. I've been seeing alot of really cool projects what with EvilDragons car mod and the new Pimp Knob thread byTorpor.

I'd like to trick out/protect/personalize the unit as well.

I'd like to see "Battle Armor" skin sets for the GP2X. I bought some from decalgirl.com for my GBA to personalize it ,and protect the shell from scratching/grime. They were amazingly durable and fairly cheap. They come in a miriad of designs and styles for PSP,NDS,NDSL,Xbox,360,Gamecube,PS2/3, Ipods and the like.

I contacted them to see if they intended to produce the "Battle Armor" sets for GP2X pre release, and they responded saying they were unsure of the demand.

I bet if we could get enough people to ask for them they would produce them. Check them out!

http//www.decalgirl.com

What do you all think?

I personally love decalgirl. I have ordered several skins from them and I can say they are top notch. They stay on and look perfectly cut. You can also remove them without leaving any residue. Most skin makers say "no residue" , but I have tried others and they always left sticky junk.

I would be excited to see them producing skins for the 2x. I am guessing it wouldn't be that hard to produce, but they would need an actual unit to measure and fit. Maybe if we offer to put up for the sample they will put them into production. That seems to be how anything gets done in the 2x community.. Buy someone a 2x and they will do something in return.

Oh and for the lazy people...

DecalGirl

So would I! ... could finally get that Silver and Black looking GP2X or even a plain white GP2X, how much added thickness do these sort of skins add anyhow? nothing that would make the devices too bulky?

Has anyone tried respraying thier kit? I once saw an article on respraying the XBox1 using car paints and it worked really well. Two layers of primer then colour then laqor, all brought from any car shop. I just traded my DS in for a white DS light and its looking very cool. Not sure if i've got the balls to try a spray job on my gp2x. :)

whats this battle armour your talking about?

if i had 2 gp2's i'd have a go at spraying mine, but i dont wanna screw it up..plus, i dont wanna take the screen off and get dust under it.. we need evildragon or craig to rip open some of their stock and wreck i mean spray them and see how it turns out

Looking at some of the gp32 spray jobs it looks like a good finish is hard to get. I may have a hunt about from something in my loft to practice one, got a Atari Jag up there. ;) This guy even made hes buttons glow!

i did that to my dreamcast, got the controller ports to glow when the controller is plugged in, also changed the red led at the top.

Paradox posted on Jul 14 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
i did that to my dreamcast, got the controller ports to glow when the controller is plugged in, also changed the red led at the top.

Yours was red? Mine is orange, like the color of a glowing vacuum tube. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
DBH posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:09 AM said:
So would I! ... could finally get that Silver and Black looking GP2X or even a plain white GP2X, how much added thickness do these sort of skins add anyhow? nothing that would make the devices too bulky?

They are very thin and fit to the unit perfectly. Most of the Decalgirl skins look like they were meant to be on the device they were made for. So what do we need to do? Get a petition going or what?

I contacted them via the contact link on their main page. A petition would be good to show numbers. Deluging them with inqueries would be good too. I'm unsure how to get enough people interested/contacting.

Perhaps an enquiry from a distributer - Craig or EvilDragon - stating numbers of units sold and interest.

Anyone who has seen the Battle Armor skins would want one. A way to personalize your unit without doing permanent...e.g. paint or other modifications. Although the LED mods look truly cool as well

The skins are guaranteed for 5 years and you can change it in a few seconds if you want to. Or just remove it and your unit is spiffy as the day you bought it.

Imagine a tricked out unit, skinned with a Pimp Knob and led goodness.

OhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhYeahhhhhh!

Morpheus384 posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
I contacted them via the contact link on their main page. A petition would be good to show numbers. Deluging them with inqueries would be good too. I'm unsure how to get enough people interested/contacting.

Perhaps an enquiry from a distributer - Craig or EvilDragon - stating numbers of units sold and interest.

Anyone who has seen the Battle Armor skins would want one. A way to personalize your unit without doing permanent...e.g. paint or other modifications. Although the LED mods look truly cool as well

The skins are guaranteed for 5 years and you can change it in a few seconds if you want to. Or just remove it and your unit is spiffy as the day you bought it.

Imagine a tricked out unit, skinned with a Pimp Knob and led goodness.

OhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhYeahhhhhh!

Where is this pimp knob I continue to hear of?

Check out torpors "My traveling GP2X rig" rig thread in the developers corner. He posted pics of an external HDD cable he built and his "Pimp Knobs" He's producing-Sterling silver Joystick Caps!-true GP2X Decadence! :D

"My Traveling GP2X rig"

I have never used a skin on anything, do they scratch easily? or peel up at the edges?

I like the faceplates on the website

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm?viewfr...=206&step=2

as well as the replacement buttons but I doubt you would get enough interest to convince them to make any, a clear faceplate would be cool, with some LEDs inside, and a brushed steel faceplate, and maybe a SNES console colour scheme complete with buttons but I don't think i would be interested in the stick ons.

Still I haven't seen any so I will reserve judgement until I do.

Have you told them you have started a thread on this site? it might give them a better idea how much interest there is

jislizard posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:43 AM said:
I have never used a skin on anything, do they scratch easily? or peel up at the edges?

Not at all, I own three (one for GBA SP and two for DS) and the only problems I had were my fault.

EDIT: By the way, you can request custom work here - http://www.decalgirl.com/page.htm?PG=CUSTOMWORK

jmetal88 posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:08 AM said:
Paradox posted on Jul 14 2006 at 08:01 PM said:

Yours was red? Mine is orange, like the color of a glowing vacuum tube. :blink:

yeah it was orange, i couldnt really remember

Back