Possible 'brick' Situation

WeaselNo7

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I've had my GP2X (firmware 2.1) for a while, and decided that it would be a great idea to get myself up to firmware 3. *sigh*

Flashing looked to work well, on a formatted SD card that I've used before, Got to the 'formatting...' screen, then looked away for a while. When I looked back it said 'firmware upgrade successful' or something similar.

Now whenever I boot, I get the initial black screen with logo and chimes. Then I get the green 'loading' screen. Then black. It seems as though it won't boot from anything I put on my SD cards.

Any idea what the problem is here? And the solution that goes with it? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Weasel.

sorry, can't help, but just to say it doesn't sound too bad if you get the start screen and sound...

If you have a breakout board, or can borrow one, then I believe you can use that to re-flash the firmware.

motorollin said:
If you have a breakout board, or can borrow one, then I believe you can use that to re-flash the firmware.
JTAG isn't needed in this case, unless the NAND is trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put firmware 2.0 on your fat 32 formatted sd card and remember to hold start and select when turning on your GP2X. It should install just fine. I really have found no reason to upgrade to 3.0 and actually have seen a booting issue with uae4all after upgrading to 3.0 so I went back to 2.1.2. The default skin is boring so just install another skin to get a nicer look. I will never upgrade again without good reason personally.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting my hope back again. To answer some questions:
- No chance of a breakout board, but if push came to shove, I know the head of testing at an electronics factory, and they've got JTAG stuff coming out of their ears.
- Firmware 3 downloaded from www.gp2x.com

I'll give uploading version 2 firmware a spin when I get a chance later this week. I didn't manage to get anything else to boot from the sd card after the brick event, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll keep you posted!

Weasel.

Whatever you do, don't put the uboot img back on there again. It's not necessary (I'm pretty certain it's the same version for 2 as it is for 3) and that is the part that is most likely to cause a brick. As long as uboot is still intact then you've got a chance of sorting things out without needing jtag, it's only when it goes that you've got a brick.

Excellent advice... I did exactly as you said.

I also decided to try firmware 3 again, because I'm stubborn! :) This time it worked. Probably because I tried it with my power supply instead of batteries this time.

It's a learning experience!

Thanks for your help guys, I couldn't have done it without you!

Back