Possible Brick

leathco

Attempted to install 3.0 firmware. Was using a power supply to install. It sat on the install screen for 16 hours with no change. Shut down the unit, and restarted. Screen is not powering on at all, stays black, only the green power light comes on. Do I have any options to fix this thing? I can buy the cradle if it will halp me fix it, or if there is someone in the US that can do the repair that will work too.

Just a warning to everyone out there, stay away from the 3.0 firmware!

A little late for that I think, from the posts on this board, it seems most people have already bricked there device.

Please describe EXACTLY what happens as soon as you give the machine power and flick the magic power switch.

leathco said:
Attempted to install 3.0 firmware. Was using a power supply to install. It sat on the install screen for 16 hours with no change. Shut down the unit, and restarted. Screen is not powering on at all, stays black, only the green power light comes on. Do I have any options to fix this thing? I can buy the cradle if it will halp me fix it, or if there is someone in the US that can do the repair that will work too.

i have fw 3.0.0 it didnt cause me any problems, my 2x came with 3.0, then i downgraded from 2.0 => 2.1.0 => 2.1.1 messed with 2.1.1 for a couple months, then upgraded back to the 3.0.0 fw, no problems, quick and easy

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:

A little late for that I think, from the posts on this board, it seems most people have already bricked there device.

Please describe EXACTLY what happens as soon as you give the machine power and flick the magic power switch.
I plug in the power adaptor and flip the magic switch. ALL that happens is the green power indicator turns on. Nothing comes up on the screen, no backlighting either.

MajorShake said:
i have fw 3.0.0 it didnt cause me any problems, my 2x came with 3.0, then i downgraded from 2.0 => 2.1.0 => 2.1.1 messed with 2.1.1 for a couple months, then upgraded back to the 3.0.0 fw, no problems, quick and easy
The problem is that 3.0 is bigger than 2.1.1. If you previously had 2.1.1 and have more than a couple of bad nand blocks, installing 3.0 is pretty much an InstaBrick tool... Sometimes you can fix it however.

I plug in the power adaptor and flip the magic switch. ALL that happens is the green power indicator turns on. Nothing comes up on the screen, no backlighting either.

Are you sure the power adaptor is ok? Try batteries. You should get backlighting at least, even if it's just colorful vertical bars.

Squidge said:
MajorShake said:
The problem is that 3.0 is bigger than 2.1.1. If you previously had 2.1.1 and have more than a couple of bad nand blocks, installing 3.0 is pretty much an InstaBrick tool... Sometimes you can fix it however.

Are you sure the power adaptor is ok? Try batteries. You should get backlighting at least, even if it's just colorful vertical bars.

Same prob with batteries. The AC adaptor should be fine as that's what I normally used to power it the first few hours I owned it before I bricked it, lol. No colorful bars at all, just a green power light.

And since it don't look like I have any takers for doing a repair in the states, looks like I'm gonna try to do the unbrick myself. I'm ordering a GP2X Cradle to give me a 25 pin port so I can start. Downloaded a recovery script, so I'm praying to god in a couple weeks I can have it fixed. Once again, anyone from the US can do the repair for a reasonable price (had a guy offer 100 bucks, which seemed rather steep considering a used gp2x runs 120) holler at me.

I'm wondering if I buy the cradle if it would make a difference, as far as working to unbrick it.

BUMP

So can anyone inside the US repair this, or can someone talk me through the reflashing process? I REALLY don't wanna get a new one considering I only had this one a single day before I bricked it.

Back