Possible Resolution To Some Sd Card Problems

matbuk03

Still Fresh
Not sure if this has been discussed before (If it has i apologize). I recently tried to use an Integral 2GB SD card with my GP2X with no success. I could format (To FAT32) and see it in Windows with no problems, but when i inserted into the GP2X and tried to access it via the USB i got nothing.
I tried re-formatting many times and copying dummy files to it but still no joy.
I then remembered a HP USB Key tool that allowed users to create a bootable Flash Drive (Also formats it)
I downloaded it from http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blo...flash_driv.html

I stuck with all the default options it presented to me and ended up with an apparantly bootable memory card. I then moved the contents into a different folder (You could probably just delete the files), stuck the card in the GP2X and hey presto, i could see it via USB. NOTE : The tool formats the card to FAT and not FAT32. I don't know what difference that makes to the GP2X.

I haven't tested this method to see if it will help with problem firmware update SD cards.

Again, sorry if this has already been discussed.

The best solution is to look for a digital camera that takes SD cards and is able to format them, format your card using this camera (the cheaper the camera the more the possibility this trick will work :D) take few photos and then stick the SD card in your GP2X and see if it works for you.

You can find a post I made weeks ago stating the best things regarding SD cards if you traced through my posts history, guess it might be useful for many people out there.

some formatting of cards will create a partition table (like the device is a hard disk) some will not create this and create just a bootsector (like its a floppy).

2gb is the max for fat16,

Back