Post picks and first impressions of your shiny new Pandora here!

This was asked on another thread by somebody else, but since I wont be getting mine for a while longer, I'd like to ask anyone who got their units to post pictures or comments about their units... if you want... please?

I know :(

Everyone is too busy playing on them to take pics or videos. I quite liked Ed's videos but respect the fact there's probs more important things that he could be doing (like his health and working on the pandora)

I'm around 1150 in batch 2 as well so I won't be seeing mine for a while yet :(

ED's perfectly healthy now. But yeah, he's got better things to do than make videos; namely, improving the device that they advertise.

Yeah, so since we have the absence of the one video per day feature (and for good reason), If anyone that gets theirs would like to post pictures or a review or any comments about it as you use it, please do so, so the rest of us can get our fix.

Yeah, so since we have the absence of the one video per day feature (and for good reason), If anyone that gets theirs would like to post pictures or a review or any comments about it as you use it, please do so, so the rest of us can get our fix.

Yes i concur..

A short new user review, would be most welcome - perhaps detailing shoulder buttons, hinge, and previous bezel issues (are they fixed etc) how is the new finish looking?

I really see no reason for the video of the day to continue. It's PND and play, pretty simple all around, great start on the OS, and I concur that he should work on improving the OS rather than video/studio time.

He should also relax now that things are falling into place in a rational logistical sense.

I welcome videos of unboxing etc from fellow first batch Pandora holders!

I really see no reason for the video of the day to continue. It's PND and play, pretty simple all around...
He has to do multiple takes, possibly watch each one to see if anything went wrong, then edit what he wants together. As he stated recently, the whole thing takes about four hours, which he doesn't have time for now that they're back up and running.

@thread:Also, there are many user reviews and unboxings of the Pandora on youtube, if you search.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has to do multiple takes, possibly watch each one to see if anything went wrong, then edit what he wants together. As he stated recently, the whole thing takes about four hours, which he doesn't have time for now that they're back up and running.

@thread:Also, there are many user reviews and unboxings of the Pandora on youtube, if you search.

As a video editor myself, I can assure you all that this is the truth. It takes a whole lot of work for EvilDragon to produce a "simple" video. He doesn't simply record gameplay and post it online, he also edits the whole thing and adds some speech. Software needs to be selected first, recorded in multiple takes, then edited on a time line, rendered, uploaded, and checked a couple of times in between. I would say three to four hours is pretty accurate for the creation of a 10 to 15 minute Pandora video.

He made around 30 videos in the last month, so that would equal around 90 to 120 hours of work. Maybe even more.

thankfully none of that time went by unused, as all his wideos are of top quality and everybody loved them and looked forward for them at the end of the day

I'm quite aware of how shooting a video works. I had to make a half hour video over an 8-13 mile whitewater rafting trip out of my kayak. Editing/mixing had to be done in an hour, intro/outro were already in the box and we used minidisc audio to lay down music over the video shot on a Sony Video Recorder with a mixing board and on the fly DVD recorder. Thank goodness for MACs because this would take all day on a PC. July 2007 I only had 4 days off the river and had a blast in West "by God" Virginia.

I am saying that ED should STOP doing videos and work on the OS and shipping Pandora's to his customers.

thankfully none of that time went by unused, as all his wideos are of top quality and everybody loved them and looked forward for them at the end of the day

They certainly made the wait more enjoyable.

I cannot believe Planescape torment works on Pandora so if someone could do a quick video that'd be ace. You need gemrb I think.

How come gemrb isn't in the app store? I'm sure there is more software than what the app store has and it would be easier to show its capabilities

I don't do video editing, but are there not cross platform open source video editors?

Not from what I could find, I had to make a video for a college assignment recently and I couldn't find anything that was even semi-usable. If anyone does find something I'd like to hear about it.

My Pandora arrived yesterday at my house in the UK, but I'm in New York right now. Can't wait to get home and play! I don't get back home until Thursday so I'll definitely post my impressions (especially of the nubs, since these should be the new ones) but others will probably beat me to it.

It's funny. I've been waiting patiently for more than two years, but it's unbeleivably frustrating to have to wait another week when I know it's at home and waiting!

I guess I can now consider myself a Pandora owner, which is pretty surreal after all this time and very exciting :blink: :D

My first impressions:

Whoever packed my system is a smoker. I was able to smell it and it was quite strong. I suspect this was packed by Craig himself. :)

I received my OpenPandora unit last night, a few scant hours before I had to head into work. I was able to take it with me, but before I did that, I tried to setup wi-fi at home and an SDHC card to get me going. At first I was having issues, but I set my router to automatically set the rate limit and everything appears to work quite well now. This was a setting with router that I should not have touched in the first place. :)

Other minor issues really was that I didn't know how to setup the SD card and I was not able to pull the stylus out. In an unrelated note, apparently none of my built in card readers can read SDHC cards, but USB card reader saved the day. skeezix helped me out on IRC regarding creating pandora/menu and pandora/apps directories and Gryflhase suggested that I use the end of a pen to "pop" the stylus off.

Overall, the unit is quite hefty, it feels almost as heavy as my netbook. It's also quite thick, but that's no problem for my coat. I noticed some edges that are not very cleanly cut, but that's very minor nitpicking. Overall the unit is very solid and quite nice to hold.

Screen:

Nice, bright and responsive!

D-pad:

At first I thought it might be too small, but after using it for a bit, I think it's one of my favorite d-pads. Pulled off fireballs and dragon punches pretty easily in Street Fighter games.

Keyboard:

Very glossy, quite solid, and doesn't feel gummy at all. Takes a whee bit getting used to where some of the keys are, but that's every device.

Nubs:

Very smooth, but besides using it in XFCE, I did not use it much yet.

L-R triggers:

Very clicky and responsive. At first I kept pressing the case when pressing R, but I am getting used to it.

ABYX buttons:

Feels great.

XFCE4:

I think overall the software (XFCE4) is very nicely laid out. Quite a lot of thought had been put into customizing it and it shows. I think a lot of the settings are quite sane.

MiniMenu:

I love the way it looks, feels like I've been looking for something like this all my life for launch apps, but I haven't yet used it extensively. Was also chatting with skeezix when I tried it out.

Pickle launcher:

Nicely done! Very sensible and easy to use.

Bug and minor complaint:

Why does midori crash so often and how come it doesn't load http://apps.openpandora.org/ properly being that it's the default included browser? :) Also, it won't let me save to my SDHC card, says it can't find the path or something. No biggy, I can definitely work around that.

I don't do video editing, but are there not cross platform open source video editors?
Avidemux, It has ports to Linux, Windows and Mac.

Only one I can think of that's generally fairly easy for just cutting out scenes, adding filters and such. Most likely not as intuitive as the Mac software, but you don't need to be overly smug or have a black turtleneck sweater to use it.

I used Virtualdub and virtualdubmod for years, but even though it's opensource it has too many Windows hooks to convert it to Linux without a major rewrite.

Bug and minor complaint:

Why does midori crash so often and how come it doesn't load http://apps.openpandora.org/ properly being that it's the default included browser? :) Also, it won't let me save to my SDHC card, says it can't find the path or something. No biggy, I can definitely work around that.
Dont use midori its V.crashy, firefox/fennec are quite nice but I used Chrome mainly

@dewc: Thanks alot for your great report and for taking the time to tell us about your experience with the unit so far. Its really good to hear real true impressions from actual users! OPT held down the fort really well, but its good to see users continuing to tell us more on the unit.

@Lozrus: Cant wait to hear from you...

Back